what to put in the sump, for 220g tank

hondas3000

i have 30g sump, i already filled half with bio ball, and about 10 lbs ceramic ring. and i still have half of space empty, i will place another 12 rolls of bacteria home.

question is what else should i put in??? more bio balls or
??? anybody know what is nylon scrubbies, i saw ppl put it into the sump.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=190145&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45

Now a day they use dollar store scrubbies to replace bio ball, they said it works the same for much cheaper. In order for the the bio ball or scrubbies to work you need to have a drip tray for it, soaking it with water is no good for beneficial bacteria.

thanks you.

i already placed about 10g of bio ball in the driping tray, to fillup the driping tray i can place another 10 gallon of bio balls, is the more the better or would it have any negative effect if i place too may bio balls.

also, is there anybody ever put live rock in the sump? since i have extra live rock at my saltwater tank. would it help any, or it has no effect for freshwater.

thanks.

carcrazy

I have submerged pot scrubbers in my 60g sump and though they don't work as well as in a drip tray, they still work as offering extra surface area for bacteria in much the same way as gravel in the main tank. When I first set up my 320g tank the only filtration was by the sump and I had no trouble with ammonia or nitrates for my aro and 2 rays. I have since added other filters as back up.

I also use a 40g sump with pot scrubbers for my 165g planted tank and have had no problem.

Pot scrubbers are cheap but the ceramic rings offer a much greater area for bacteria growth. It may be that ceramic rings are cheaper on a number of bacteria/square area basis. I use both so I guess I'm covered.