What's up with retail prices for Asian aros these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rulaifu

Because of group buy, prices are dropping dramatically, even in retailer stores. So if you raise your price, you are not competitive.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Because of group buy, prices are dropping dramatically, even in retailer stores. So if you raise your price, you are not competitive.

I think prices have dropped for lower grade stock; if you want a graded Indored, Imperial, Xien Leng, etc., prices have not dropped. Panda's fish are in that same category. I base this opinion on my first hand knowledge of the wholesale value for these fish versus the other "low grade" fish being sold in Canada at low prices.

protoxeno

Yeah thats true. The prices of the fish LFS are selling hasn't decrease at all. All they have done is to stock another product thats a lot cheaper. If I go to a LFS and ask for their regular stock not the indo reds, and say would they be willing to sell to me by a lot comparing to the group buy, 100% they say no.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Ok, I thought I would move a few posts from another thread to open up discussion on this topic. The posts I moved are the four posts before this one.

One thing is clear - prices have come down for lower grade stock. Seems to me prices are still "stable" for higher grade "sorted" stock. I think it is too simple to say that group buys alone have lowered prices for lower grade stock in Canada. Many new farms are coming online all the time these days, and even with China's huge appetite, I can see how there could be a surplus of lower grade fish (and hence lower prices). And then there is the strengthening Canadian dollar to consider. Anyhow, feel free to comment or discuss the topic! :)

Last edited:

b-man

if you don't know the difference in grades, don't spend the money.

there are many types of buyers. & thats why there will always be different markets - on one end, they are the people who are always looking for a good deal. on the other end, there are people who's main concern is quality.

unfortunately the market isn't clearly defined at the moment. i think some retailers are either lowering prices to compete or stocking lower quality fish. i have my own opinion about that, but to each their own.

h.l_nathan

i just think that some of the lfs is just trying to pocket too much. some places you dont even have to bargain on any of their stocks they will just tell you how much they can drop the price by.

EKen

Super Moderator
if you don't know the difference in grades, don't spend the money.

there are many types of buyers. & thats why there will always be different markets - on one end, they are the people who are always looking for a good deal. on the other end, there are people who's main concern is quality.

unfortunately the market isn't clearly defined at the moment. i think some retailers are either lowering prices to compete or stocking lower quality fish. i have my own opinion about that, but to each their own.

Was that meant to be offensive?

I firmly believe that everybody is looking for a good deal. Don't tell me other wise. I mean, wouldn't you pay a lower price for something that is the same quality if you could?

And by those statement I am not trying to defend any side, LFS or Group Buys... But I feel sometime that this forum was meant to promote something else than just the hobby...

b-man

I firmly believe that everybody is looking for a good deal. Don't tell me other wise. I mean, wouldn't you pay a lower price for something that is the same quality if you could?

And by those statement I am not trying to defend any side, LFS or Group Buys... But I feel sometime that this forum was meant to promote something else than just the hobby...

no it wasn't meant to be offensive, sorry if you took it to be.

but my point is that if you can't tell/appreciate the difference in "show" quality vs "pet" quality, than you shouldn't be spending the extra money.

would i like a deal, absolutely, but the key to your statement is "same".

there is a saying in chinese "high quality doesn't come cheap, cheap won't come with high quality."

Last edited:

protoxeno

Here is something about pricing from a book I am reading. I Learned from a Canadian by Leonard Brody and David Raffa. Page 51.

"In a world of product parity where almost every item is comparable to others in its category, premium pricing has become a way to achieve market differentiation. Companies use premium pricing to give a product cachet. The technique is a natural outgrowth of the segmentation of mass consumerism where some individuals have indicated they are willing to pay for the allure of exclusivity, or quality, or some other intrinsic "value." It is this value that producers emphasize when they put a premium price on their goods.

T1KARMANN

true if something is cheap their is normally a reason why

a fish that looks great in all ways to 1 person may look rubbish if put in a show

all them people who think they are getting a bargin for a red asian aro just to find when they have been in the aro scene they had brought a over priced banjar

a fish is only worth what someone is willing to pay

if the fish is way over your budget take a look at it and work out how much you like it before you part with your money

if its super cheap ask yourself why its so cheap their is normally a good reason for a cheap aro

protoxeno

"Similarly, is that $1.60 cup of coffee at the nearest Starbucks truly that much better than the old 50 cent cuppa joe you could get at the corner diner? Likely, the answer is no. The higher price point obviously includes something else--an intangible value that the producer and consumers have agreed is present and worthy every cent."

"Premium pricing is a technique used by some manufacturers who want their products to be considered a cut above. They believe consumers will pay more than the going rate in a given category. "

And one last thing I would like to share on page 52.

"For example, some automakers that had spent the previous decade improving quality realized that every other automaker had done the same thing. There was no longer any competitive advantage in boasting about quality-- consumers had simply grown to expect it. They also recognized that car buyers were injecting something else into their buying habits--their personal identities. In short, buyers would pay a premium for a car that reflected back their personal perceptions of themselves.

Family man concerned with safety and control? Buy a Volvo. Volvo's marketing message is a very interesting example--they don't sell cars, they sell safety. Similarly, Mercedes and BMW are selling a message to the successful businessman..And the Japanese car makers, Nissan, Honda and Toyota--we will get you where you want to go, reliably."

T1KARMANN

at the end of the day price doent mean that much you are right their

if a aro has PLJ drop eye and gil curl buy adding a high price tag do them problems go away or are they still their :D

with gold aros its fairly easy to judge how good the fish is at a young age to tell the truth most RTG turn out about the same and you cant really go wrong a RTG is a great value for money fish

even with xbacks still you cant go far wrong if you have done your homework before you buy one

its only red aros that are a very big gamble who wants to spend 2-3yrs on a fish and after that its not to your likeing

if you want a nice aro thats not going to grow massive then get a gold you cant go wrong IMO

EKen

Super Moderator
Can you explain this to me? In a PM would be ok as well.

I don't mind explaining here, I hope it does not bother any "powerful" other members either...

I think this is the only arowana forum owned and moderated by a dealer or a representant of a particular farm. None of the other "big" forums are so marketing oriented: MFK, Arofanatics. I mean, in almost every thread, there is that subtle hint of "get a (insert farm name here) aro, it's well worth your money".

I feel sometimes that this whole forum is the "forum" section, complementary to the "store" section of a big website.

But then again, this is only my personal point of view...

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I have already gone on record (elsewhere on this forum and on other forums) that I am retiring from the group buy game. Too much work. There are some established keepers of high end fish out there who have done group buys. They will know what I mean when I say it is a hell of a lot of work for a questionable rate of return. But it has been fun to do while I have taken a two year leave of absence from my job in Canada to travel the world...all following a nasty little health scare. Nuff said.

I return to live in Canada within 6 months and will be getting involved in some way, shape, or form in the CONVENTIONAL retail/wholesale of Asian arowanas. More on that later.

I will also be publishing A LOT of articles on the Asian arowana scene in SEAsia.

Finally, there are some upcoming contests I am arranging for www.arowanaclub.ca that should "knock your socks off." Some of the people and business owners I am networking with here are in a position to contribute AMAZING prizes for...well let's just say a contest that goes beyond having to be lucky at guessing the price of gold! :)

I am single minded in my determination to grow the arowana hobby in Canada. If I get carried away in my bias for any given fish supplier, well so be it.

Personally, I am quite happy with how this site is developing. I also welcome frank criticism and mature discussion/debate.

Last edited:

EKen

Super Moderator
Personally, I am quite happy with how this site is developing. I also welcome frank criticism and mature discussion/debate.

Cool, because I don't mind telling my point of view either, in a respectful manner... ;)

But frankly, I do believe you are doing good things for the hobby here in Canada... And this is a good site to gather Canadian hobbyists (from every aspects) ;)

danfong88

yes, I total agree. How does a fish farm in Sing. or Indo. select the grade to be sold. When the aro is so young 6", it really difficult to see if the fish will develop into a nice red or golden aro.

Most LFS here in GTA is promoting their own products and just needs to make a buck or two. They are not really interested in raising and informing you how to raise an asian arowana, especially red and xbacks. They is just too much marketing on arowana, especially in the Chinese community. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

danfong88

no it wasn't meant to be offensive, sorry if you took it to be.

but my point is that if you can't tell/appreciate the difference in "show" quality vs "pet" quality, than you shouldn't be spending the extra money.

would i like a deal, absolutely, but the key to your statement is "same".

there is a saying in chinese "high quality doesn't come cheap, cheap won't come with high quality."

This is what we call marketing.....$$$$$$$ and high quality is mostly bases on colour and not the health of the aro. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.