What's up with retail prices for Asian aros these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T1KARMANN

if you trust a farm their is no problem pushing it :D

shop prices just cant compete with group buys or private sellers

surely if prices are low from a group buy thats a good thing not a bad

the asian aro market crashed hear in the UK when one private seller started selling aros at a fair price

shop price for a RTG was £600 from a private seller they were selling for £350 and the grade was better than the shop as the private seller was picking his own fish

i have never had a panda fish but if all buyers are happy with them whats the problem in pushing that farm

to tell the truth it doesnt matter to me what farm the aros come from if the fish is nice i will buy it

i dont know about over their but in the UK the asian aro market is not that big and a shop cant live on the sale of asian aro alone 1 shop tryed and it lasted 8 months max and it still has 50% of its stock now

group buy is a great thing for the buyer a bad thing for the shop owner thats the way things are

shops seam to think they can put the same mark up on a high end asian aro as the can on cheaper fish thats were they go wrong

protoxeno

The only difference that I see from this forum then others is that we openly discuss pricing and value of different farms. Giving out broad open opinion is a basic mentality on this forum. At arofanatics, I don't think much are talked about in the open on prices LFS charges or the legitimacy of the past in how the business started. I find it very informative to have open debates on various topics and much more freedom then to have to limit the discussion to fear LFS or farms would suffer due to open discussion.

T1KARMANN

The only difference that I see from this forum then others is that we openly discuss pricing and value of different farms. Giving out broad open opinion is a basic mentality on this forum. At arofanatics, I don't think much are talked about in the open on prices LFS charges or the legitimacy of the past in how the business started. I find it very informative to have open debates on various topics and much more freedom then to have to limit the discussion to fear LFS or farms would suffer due to open discussion.

i feel its ok to give out prices and feedback on farms and LFS then if LFS read they can see what people think about their prices and grade of their fish

its called freedom to talk :D

i know some shop in SGP dont even let people take pics of their stock i dont understand why and people pay diffrent prices for the same fish this i also think is wrong

DragonfishExotics

Its seems alot of people keep talking about the lowest price, cheap arowana, and discount tanks, cheap filters, ect. I do believe that arowanas and supplies, tanks, filters ect should be availible at a fair price. But that being said, you do pay more for quality. An Asian Aro is a fish you keep for many years so buying a lesser quality fish because it is a bit lower in price seems silly to me. Same with buying cheap tanks, also seems silly. There is a good reason they are cheap.

We keep asian aros because we have a love and respect for them. I dont think there is anything wrong with spending some money and buying a great filter for them, or a tank with thicker glass and no center brace. Or going a bit bigger in size to give him more room. Not everyone will agree with me I am sure, but this is my view on it.

b-man

yes, I total agree. How does a fish farm in Sing. or Indo. select the grade to be sold. When the aro is so young 6", it really difficult to see if the fish will develop into a nice red or golden aro.

They is just too much marketing on arowana, especially in the Chinese community. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

at 6" some people can start to tell the difference. these are fish, not cars. each one is different and unique. like i said, if you don't see it/believe in it, than don't pay it. to each their own.

This is what we call marketing.....$$$$$$$ and high quality is mostly bases on colour and not the health of the aro. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

can you explain this statement further?

danfong88

I do not believe colour in asian arowana is so valuable and prized so highly, this market is focus on the colour and is show quality and forget to mention it's general health and the grace of the aro. Chinese relates the colour as giving wealth leading to riches. Why can people just enjoy this aro's history and how it became extinct and needs to protected.

EKen

Super Moderator
I do not believe colour in asian arowana is so valuable and prized so highly, this market is focus on the colour and is show quality and forget to mention it's general health and the grace of the aro. Chinese relates the colour as giving wealth leading to riches. Why can people just enjoy this aro's history and how it became extinct and needs to protected.

Well, they are not really endangered anymore... Maybe from a Natural Habitat view, but from a Population view, farms produce them in large quantities now.

Of course their color makes them valuable and high prized. If not for the color, how do to determine a high grade from a low grade...

danfong88

the grade would be determine on it's feed? if the aro is raise is ideal environmental with rich food such shrimps,small fish, this would pre determine in the long it's colour potential. As you said, they are mass produced at farms for the China market and international so I do know why it still commands such a high price? for a high grade the price should be coming down.

EKen

Super Moderator
the grade would be determine on it's feed? if the aro is raise is ideal environmental with rich food such shrimps,small fish, this would pre determine in the long it's colour potential. As you said, they are mass produced at farms for the China market and international so I do know why it still commands such a high price? for a high grade the price should be coming down.

Food does play a role in how the fish turns out. But a poor genetics fish fed with all the best food in the world would still not turn nice. A good genetics fish, fed with only superworms (as in my case with my red), would still turn nice.

I don't know how much is "high" price for you, but at of late, I think the price has come way down. I mean Grade 1 Reds are at a lower price than RTGs not long ago. Of course, if you are referring to Premium Selected ones, their price is higher. Just like anything else in life: clothes, cars or even food, there is the brand and reputation to pay for. But if you do not wish to spend that amount of money on a "brand" or "type" of aro, nobody is forcing you. There is always another replacement option...

I take pride in raising Asian Arowanas, as I think Aro Keepers in the Aquarium Hobby are the BMW Drivers of the highway... The day when Asian Aros would cost like a simple Oscar is the day when I'll quit the hobby.

Last edited:

h.l_nathan

its more like a Bentley or higher I dont think that there are any other fishes out there that's selling for the same pricing as the aros.

danfong88

Yes, totally agreed. They are expensive fish, if not the most expensive. Asian Aro is the hardy fish and it has accent fish which has lived as far back, where it has been fossilized in stone. This is what makes this fish interested and the king of fish.

I am simply more interested in the hobby of fish raising the it peace it gives with individual.

We are constant comparing the the asian aro to BMW and Mercedes, which I personally believe is wrong. Yes, it does cost more than other fish but we should respect the aro for it true quality and not it's price.

PS. BMW and Mercedes is brand and only a brand it does not mean it a better!!

protoxeno

Yes, totally agreed. They are expensive fish, if not the most expensive. Asian Aro is the hardy fish and it has accent fish which has lived as far back, where it has been fossilized in stone. This is what makes this fish interested and the king of fish.

I am simply more interested in the hobby of fish raising the it peace it gives with individual.

We are constant comparing the the asian aro to BMW and Mercedes, which I personally believe is wrong. Yes, it does cost more than other fish but we should respect the aro for it true quality and not it's price.

PS. BMW and Mercedes is brand and only a brand it does not mean it a better!!

Well said. Its a fact that some people buy according to its price because it share the owner's identity as they perceive it. I am not one to stop the hobby if everyone can own one. I own an aro because of its majestic features; the colouration, the whiskers, its arrogant look that they are the kind of the tank, the shapes of their fins, not because of how high a price aro demands that I bought them. I would be so glade and happy that everyone can afford an aro so they can too feel the admiration I have for their beauty.

rulaifu

It is all the market thing. Different people has different request (for sure that all people in general wants the best but paying at less as possible).
If you buy blind, for sure, you have to pay less, otherwise, there is no reason for it.
If you can select, you may pay higher, but it still may end up crapy ones, so you get your lesson
But the market thing is: Nobody in this business will give you good quality fish with low price. It is that simple, it is just business.
So if you feel you are paying less, you know what you will get. On the other hand, if you pay higher, the more you pay, the better one you will get. And this should be based on the farm with good reputation.

T1KARMANN

their are lots of factors with an asian aro to look at

color
swim posture
jaw line
barbels
size of the fins
body shape

its very hard to get all of the things you want its a case of what you can live with

when i got the chilli today their were some aros with better color but most had protuding lower jaw or nasty looking barbels

if you chould live with them 2 faults then the fish would have been great

for me color is lower down the list as most times it will come with age

i had a very nice xback that swam at an angle i thought it was swim bladder but it was fine with the lights out every time i looked at the tank my eye was drawn to the 1 swimming on a angle so that had to go :rolleyes:

it all depends how perfect you want the aro we are all looking for the perfect aro so if you want it expect to pay more for it :cool:

h.l_nathan

if you want a perfect aro to your liking then just fly over to the farm and buy it there. Dont expect the lfs to sell high grade aros, cause most of them dont know when they will sell them and what if they die on them is another factor.

T1KARMANN

this is very true when i went to the shop today they had a tank full of SR that all had protruding lower jaw when i pointed this out they chould see what i was talking about and it was real bad 1cm on some of them

when buying small aros below 12inch/30cm its a gamble and it chould take 2yrs to know if the aro hasnt got the cool you want

EKen

Super Moderator
Well said. Its a fact that some people buy according to its price because it share the owner's identity as they perceive it. I am not one to stop the hobby if everyone can own one. I own an aro because of its majestic features; the colouration, the whiskers, its arrogant look that they are the kind of the tank, the shapes of their fins, not because of how high a price aro demands that I bought them. I would be so glade and happy that everyone can afford an aro so they can too feel the admiration I have for their beauty.

Well said, I totally agree with this. If you guys are perfectly happy with a certain grade of aro, as it already fulfills you guys need, then why complain about more expensive aros... Nobody is forcing you guys to buy them.

FOSSILFISH

Good day Bro's and Sis,

Let me throw in a curve ball to this topic.
My question is;

"Will the farm's actually sell you their best fish or do they keep them for the higher paying Taiwan, Korea & Japan buyers?"

Let us ponder this question abit and see where we go with it.
You all have the point of price versus quality, and great comparison to boot. But will a farm sell you their show peice?
There are a few farms that will guarantee the quality of an arow, but of course only at a price.

I have never seen or heard of a farm that will show you how and what to expect in the development of your Arow after you buy it.
I know there are a few keepers out there that is searching for a true RED fish. We wait years and we are dissappointed all the time.
All I can say is that the one's with true red or hot orange fish out there did not pay a low price for their arows.
Correct me if I am wrong.
I am not saying that I am a true expert.
I am just asking hobbists to look at this same situation in a different light.
If the LFS can deceive the consumer, do we really beleive that the farms are clean and not deceitful. You as a buyer, or consumer don't see what they have in the back rooms. You will never see it unless you are actually buying in large numbers.
They too are in business, are they not? What would stop them from cheating the LFS or buyers, and please don't tell me reputation.

I don't mean to offend anyone but we all need to wake up and smell the coffee:D

T1KARMANN

i aggre the japan market gets much better fish than us weather it be aros or rays

bigger money better fish

i also belive if you dont go and pick the fish yourself and you are a shop the 1st batch you are send will be good to make you re-buy from that farm/shop then the grade will drop until you make a complaint then they will send you another good batch

all farms/shop will try their luck to see what they can get away with

danfong88

Good day Bro's and Sis,

Let me throw in a curve ball to this topic.
My question is;

"Will the farm's actually sell you their best fish or do they keep them for the higher paying Taiwan, Korea & Japan buyers?"

Let us ponder this question abit and see where we go with it.
You all have the point of price versus quality, and great comparison to boot. But will a farm sell you their show peice?
There are a few farms that will guarantee the quality of an arow, but of course only at a price.

I have never seen or heard of a farm that will show you how and what to expect in the development of your Arow after you buy it.
I know there are a few keepers out there that is searching for a true RED fish. We wait years and we are dissappointed all the time.
All I can say is that the one's with true red or hot orange fish out there did not pay a low price for their arows.
Correct me if I am wrong.
I am not saying that I am a true expert.
I am just asking hobbists to look at this same situation in a different light.
If the LFS can deceive the consumer, do we really beleive that the farms are clean and not deceitful. You as a buyer, or consumer don't see what they have in the back rooms. You will never see it unless you are actually buying in large numbers.
They too are in business, are they not? What would stop them from cheating the LFS or buyers, and please don't tell me reputation.

I don't mean to offend anyone but we all need to wake up and smell the coffee:D

Well said... It is great to know, that LFS is here to make money. I don't think they tell you the colors of such (30 cm) aro will develop into. Every LFS has to make a living and they will tell you want you what you want to hear, in order to make a sale. So, I think you should pay what you feel is fair for 30 cm asian aro.

Status
Not open for further replies.