What's up with retail prices for Asian aros these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKen

Super Moderator
Well said... It is great to know, that LFS is here to make money. I don't think they tell you the colors of such (30 cm) aro will develop into. Every LFS has to make a living and they will tell you want you what you want to hear, in order to make a sale. So, I think you should pay what you feel is fair for 30 cm asian aro.

Not only LFS, car dealers, the cashier at the supermarket, even you and me for a job interview. We all present the best aspects of something , or deny the bad ones, for our own advantage.

If you did not know that LFS were there to make money, there is something wrong.

protoxeno

Even though if one is happy with their fish, they sure can complain all they want about how expensive even higher quality fish. I believe they would one day feel happier to own an even better fish at a lower cost. Don't say that can't be done because of the high demand and low supply. We all know how big a margin there are. They can lower their margins, sell more, make more people happy and earn greater revenue with growing sales. My point is I am one of those hobbyist who is happy with what I got and wish to own one of those currently $3000 fish at LFS for the price of $1500. I am one to create awareness to others so that one day those who share my views can own a really high quality fish without paying that much. This is just my personal view; like some people like strawberry ice cream for various reasons, I like chocolate ice cream for various reason. I am no expert in ice cream and can't really say why I like chocolate while others love strawberry.

h.l_nathan

protoxeno thats gonna be the day when little kids say to their parents can we by an aro instead of guppies.
cause for a high end aro to drop down to that price then the RTG would be the price of Nemo. Once they hit that price then i'll quit my hobby and find a new 1

EKen

Super Moderator
Then you can get some Asian Green Arowana feeders... When Top Quality Arowanas are gonna be at 1500$, how much do you think Guppies are going to be?

endi

people always want what they can't have........ lfs aren't going to bring in high quality fish if people aren't going to pay up for it...
high quality = high price..

Last edited:

rulaifu

Then you can get some Asian Green Arowana feeders... When Top Quality Arowanas are gonna be at 1500$, how much do you think Guppies are going to be?
Your explanation is not clear. I will explain it in the way below
1500 can be the price for asian arowana, but never for top quality aros. Even you buy 100 pieces, you still can not get that price for top quality aros unless we have different understanding on what is called TOP QUALITY

GRANDDRAGON

Hey everyone just like to point out a couple of things. First off is that I would also like to see Aros at a more affordable price but who wouldnt, I am also a hobbist. But to say that you can fill everyones plate is a very large step. With China having an insatiable appatite for aros I do not see the farms meeting the supply and demand especially with high end fish. Also adding in that Europe and Canada have now come into play and are wanting the same quality as the rest of SE Asian countries. Unless people stop buying or China gets into the market of Breeding Aros and having the ability to supply to there country and the rest of the world. The demand for high end fish will alway be there. The Aros that are in high demand are the ones that will turn a certain color or have a golden head, fully cross, clean bodies,spoon head, short bodies, be red and not orange. Right now I think it is a lot of wishful thinking for I have yet to see a Red fish here in North America. Not to ruin anyones dreams but I dont think I am that far from the truth.:(

GRANDDRAGON

Even though if one is happy with their fish, they sure can complain all they want about how expensive even higher quality fish. I believe they would one day feel happier to own an even better fish at a lower cost. Don't say that can't be done because of the high demand and low supply. We all know how big a margin there are. They can lower their margins, sell more, make more people happy and earn greater revenue with growing sales. My point is I am one of those hobbyist who is happy with what I got and wish to own one of those currently $3000 fish at LFS for the price of $1500. I am one to create awareness to others so that one day those who share my views can own a really high quality fish without paying that much. This is just my personal view; like some people like strawberry ice cream for various reasons, I like chocolate ice cream for various reason. I am no expert in ice cream and can't really say why I like chocolate while others love strawberry.

About the high demand and low supply. The fish that are in high demand are usually lower numbers therefore higher priced. That being said maybe they have the supply but of what type of aro RTG or Green???? How many existing hobbist out there want another Green aro. Or for that matter for the people who own Reds that did not turn out red, do they really want another red that is yellow. I do not mean to strike any nerves but if you could do it right the first time around, would you not try to take that path:confused: And about making the people happy when was that issue??? Customer statisfaction is in the quality you purchase. It seems LFS are doomed if they do and doomed if they dont. I had posted pics and prices for a LFS that were selling cheap RTGs and cheap Reds in the thoughts that my fellow hobbist would be able to own a RTG or a Red at an affordable price. And then the LFS are ridiculed for selling a grade B fish???

FOSSILFISH

Well said Granddagon. I see there is another out there that shares my view.
I know there are a few others out there that think like we do.

After all this, does any one know what grade Panda aro's are that make it into Canada? Are they Grade "A", "B" and so on?
Just interested in knowing for myself.
I know the reds are "Super Reds, but can any one elaborate.

DragonfishExotics

It really gets back to, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong for a new arowana owner to start with a 1.5 grade red or a RTG even a green. But it is already a sizable investment to get the large tank and equipment to keep your arowana, so my view is if you spent that much on getting setup why not pay a bit more for a better grade fish. Its a longterm purchase, arowanas can live for up to 25 years. And to answer your question. I believe Panada reds and xbacks are 1st grade or premium.

protoxeno

Granddragon
"Right now I think it is a lot of wishful thinking for I have yet to see a Red fish here in North America. Not to ruin anyones dreams but I dont think I am that far from the truth."

All the more not worth $3000 bucks for it.

T1KARMANN

most people with asian aros start of with maybe a green then think about a RTG some stop at RTG and are very happy with them i would say their are then about 30% who think they can do better than a RTG and move up to say high grade red or xback

its when people get to the higher end fish they are a bit more fussy as they know alot more about asian aros and they have done plenty of resurch or they would not be will to pay $1500+ for a fish

the grade of RTG is fairly standard with most RTG farily good grade and the people who buy them are still fairly new to the aro market so small things like slight PLJ or the fins being to small doesnt bother them

a fish is only worth what someone is willing to pay

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Your explanation is not clear. I will explain it in the way below
1500 can be the price for asian arowana, but never for top quality aros. Even you buy 100 pieces, you still can not get that price for top quality aros unless we have different understanding on what is called TOP QUALITY

Yes, you CAN get near TOP QUALITY for 1500 C, problem is you have to come to S'pore to get it! :D

Seriously though, the quest for "top quality" never ends. I have now seen full helmet gold head Xbacks for sale...a big jump in price over a full collar gold head....which in turn is a step up from a gold head with gold threads...which is a step up from a gold head with gold powder...which is a step up from a juvenile of gold head stock...I am NOT making any of this up. Thus, where does it end? $20,000 would seem a good bet, though I have heard first hand of sales well in excess of that here.

lol

For me 1500-2000 C in Singapore should get me what I consider "top quality"...Unfortuately I can't see the day when such a deal will be easily accesable for Canadians in Canada (for a variety of reasons).

T1KARMANN

dont mean to put a downer on your post

but i wouldnt pay any extra cash for a gold head or an aro that was fully crossed at 6inch

most if not all of thease aro have WTT (white tank treatment ) were they are placed in large white fibre glass tanks from birth to bring up the shine levels and make the gold head

i know many people in SGP who have brought gold heads only to have it fade away after a few weeks of the fish being in a normal tank

i myself brought a sweet looking Red splendour xback that was near fully crossed at 7inch but after it had been in my tank for 2 months the shine level had dropped real bad

this is also the way they kick up the price of HBRTG the shine will drop i can garantee that

the easy way to tell if a aro has been WTT is the shine level is high but the color is washed out

rulaifu

Yes, you CAN get near TOP QUALITY for 1500 C, problem is you have to come to S'pore to get it! :D

Seriously though, the quest for "top quality" never ends. I have now seen full helmet gold head Xbacks for sale...a big jump in price over a full collar gold head....which in turn is a step up from a gold head with gold threads...which is a step up from a gold head with gold powder...which is a step up from a juvenile of gold head stock...I am NOT making any of this up. Thus, where does it end? $20,000 would seem a good bet, though I have heard first hand of sales well in excess of that here.

lol

For me 1500-2000 C in Singapore should get me what I consider "top quality"...Unfortuately I can't see the day when such a deal will be easily accesable for Canadians in Canada (for a variety of reasons).

I don't think there is much more to discuss further on this topic as I repeated again and again this is all market issue. And a fish is only worth what someone is going to pay. That is it.
Someone doesn't like aros. from some fish farms don't mean that aros. in that fish farm are bad. All the fish farms have good and bad ones.
Someone likes lower grade more than higher grade is also acceptable.
We don't need to convince someone else to accept our own opinion.
I have lots of different comments from the post here, I don't argue too much, I just reserve my own. And I believe I own very good quality aros. at home. Everybody knows that the best aros. are in Japanese market because they pay higher price. So if you pay the same price that Japanese are paying, you will get that quality as well.

I personally like threads being humorous, knowledge exchange and for sure with a lot of fun. Someone wants to share their happiness by showing their aros. pictures, that is very good.
But this thread smells fighting more than that. And this thread was pulled out from my post on other threads, but looking at this post itself, it looks like I open this topic.

To me, I don't like this type of discussion at all.

Again, I don't want to argue even though I don't agree with you. I just reserve my own.

Last edited:

T1KARMANN

i dont see the problem with this thread at all it just states what we all know some shops charge higher prices for lower grade fish

if shops dont like to hear bad things they can sort it out in 2 ways

1. drop their prices
2. get better fish

group buys are a good thing for the buyer bad for the shops

at the end of the day no one does nothing for nothing even the people arangeing the group buy must be makeing some money or why would they do it

b-man

I don't think there is much more to discuss further on this topic as I repeated again and again this is all market issue. And a fish is only worth what someone is going to pay. That is it.
Someone doesn't like aros. from some fish farms don't mean that aros. in that fish farm are bad. All the fish farms have good and bad ones.
Someone likes lower grade more than higher grade is also acceptable.
We don't need to convince someone else to accept our own opinion.
I have lots of different comments from the post here, I don't argue too much, I just reserve my own. And I believe I own very good quality aros. at home. Everybody knows that the best aros. are in Japanese market because they pay higher price. So if you pay the same price that Japanese are paying, you will get that quality as well.

I personally like threads being humorous, knowledge exchange and for sure with a lot of fun. Someone wants to share their happiness by showing their aros. pictures, that is very good.
But this thread smells fighting more than that. And this thread was pulled out from my post on other threads, but looking at this post itself, it looks like I open this topic.

To me, I don't like this type of discussion at all.

Again, I don't want to argue even though I don't agree with you. I just reserve my own.

i agree 100% with rulaifu. this is nothing new. simple laws of supply and demand apply. spin it anyway you want. it is what it is.

as i have also stated, to each their own. if you don't see a difference, don't pay for it. there is no point in debating since everyone is entitled to their own opinion. everyone has different taste and values.

EKen

Super Moderator
I noticed that thread like this one brings in a lot of readers, and participants... Maybe we should rename the forum: ArowanaFightClub.ca
;)

rulaifu

I noticed that thread like this one brings in a lot of readers, and participants... Maybe we should rename the forum: ArowanaFightClub.ca
;)
You are a funny guy. That is why lots of readers and participants show up here.

danfong88

Yes, I agree totally, Asian Arowana in the Asian market is special. The China market is growing and especially this year 2008. The Beijing games has influence the huge and valuve of the owing arowana's. I like the different views this thread brings, it is interesting and it show how people see this hobby. ( To each it's own and may owing an arowana bring them strength and wealth..... and all the Chinese saying that goes with owning this fish).
I will as arowana hobby, the price will come down to a reasonable level. Paying over 1500 CAD for a fish.... is a bit much. Ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.