Wide Angle Lens?

chen88

Super Moderator
I've a got a 50mm Prime lens for my Canon 7D which is fine for every day use but it does get frustrating when i want to take photos with not much room to take them in ie...my tank and or other spaces that perhaps a wide angle is much better.....worth buying or renting? in my area you can rent a wide angle for around $40-50 per day...how often would I need it? hard to say!...but it's so damn frustrating when I do need it and don't have it in my case! :D

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Wide angle lenses are great for shooting landscapes, architecture and full tank shots in close spaces. :)

You have to decide whether the occasional pic of your tank is worth the price and you may possibly want to be able to shoot landscapes, especially if you travel.

Tokina makes a very sharp 11-16mm f/2.8 lens for canon mount that imo is well worth the investment.

chen88

Super Moderator
Wide angle lenses are great for shooting landscapes, architecture and full tank shots in close spaces. :)

You have to decide whether the occasional pic of your tank is worth the price and you may possibly want to be able to shoot landscapes, especially if you travel.

Tokina makes a very sharp 11-16mm f/2.8 lens for canon mount that imo is well worth the investment.

I do take lots of my tank and landscape as well as architectural spaces so its probably worth my investment...I'll look into the Tokina and check for pricing...thanks.

chen88

Super Moderator
wow...$750++ doesn't look like much on the resale market either...ones on resale is only 40-60 bucks cheaper...

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
wow...$750++ doesn't look like much on the resale market either...ones on resale is only 40-60 bucks cheaper...

You won't find a decent wide angle for any less. I had one for my D300 that I recently sold for more than I what I paid for. Very much in demand. Testament to how good that lens is for a cropped frame.

chen88

Super Moderator
ok...quick decision tells me to skip this for now and wait till wife gets home with my S90..LOL...need the funding for the Ipad when that comes out...don't need that too but would like that more then the lens... :D

chen88

Super Moderator
Anyways....if any of you semi pros see any good wide angle lens for sale new or used to fit my Canon 7D please let me know....

so far these are my thoughts...
Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 Pro DX (Canon) $749 at Aden
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM ($850 at Aden)

chen88

Super Moderator
So i needed to take some photos for one of my projects at work and decided to use my 7D to grab some shots...but my 50mm wasn't going to work as it was a small space so I rented for $25/day a Canon 10-22mm Wide angle...my god....I'm sold...I'm going to grab a wide angle shortly..:D not sure which one but here are some pics of my place with the wide angle...there was no way I would have been able to take shots like these before!

How to make a small house look big! LOL...now to work on my photography skills...

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

Last edited:

DaiDee

lol nice! There's another spot in the kitchen where the TV is that looks like a perfect place for another tank! haha jk

chen88

Super Moderator
lol nice! There's another spot in the kitchen where the TV is that looks like a perfect place for another tank! haha jk

LOL...a long 6fter right on the counter!...do you think I can sneak on in before wife returns mid march? LOL

chen88

Super Moderator

Amazing Gerry....the Tokina 11-16mm is sold out everywhere (Henry's, Aden, The camera store..) well...almost everywhere....

chen88

Super Moderator
now only if my wife would allow me to install a wall with a door to enclose the tv and fish "Room"...I'd never come out...other then for beer and food...lol...

chen88

Super Moderator
so I ended up at Aden Camera's store today to pick up a flash mount cord so I can use my flash overhead as suggested by Gerry....and ended up coming home with the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens ....sigh....this lens has been sold out for 3-4 months and one happen to be on the shelf...tried it out and then out came the visa! lol sigh.....hope to start shooting soon