Wild Caught Black Rays!!

CHILLI RED

A ray breeder in the u.s. goes by the name csx in MFK claims to be getting wild caught black rays coming Nov. 15. Prices remain about the same as captive bred ones. Henlei 22-30 cm=$1800 Leopoldi 22-30 cm= $1800 Leopoldi Eclipse 22-30 cm= $2800 Leopoldi Sao Felix Black Diamond 22-30 cm= $2800 Just wanted to give you guys the heads up in case anyone is looking.:)

JMorash

Mike has some sick fish. I plan on doing an order from him in the summer, I may open it up to the rest of canada if there is enough interest.

From what I know about this is that for a couple months quotas are given out to a limited few businesses. There is a new ban on plecos, that will put a lot of exporters out of business, so in compensation they are letting a few of these rays to be caught and sold so that these businesses will go out with money in their pockets.

99 % of the rays have been already been spoken for by asian importers, and the other 1% is split between the North America and Europe. Since Mike has a large breeding operation, I assume the small amount of rays he will get are going to be for sale. He will most likely keep them because they are new blood and it's a great way to revamp the genetics of captive black rays. Although he might sell a few, you never know.

Honestly I wouldn't even bother with them. Leopoldi and henlei are hardy fish, but for that price it would be better to buy them cb. Mike always has captive bred leopoldi, for a wicked price, like $1400 a piece. There is much less of a risk of something happening. They may be a tad bigger for the price you are getting, but these rays grow extra fast when taken care of properly, so it's not that big of a deal.

People have a misconception about these rays, thinking that they are rare. It's not the truth, there are so many black rays out there, just most of them are being bred by asian companies and they charge wayyyy tooo much. Also the price stays high because there is huge demand for the rays and no other way to get them. They may be rare in Canada, but only because most people are too cheap to spend a couple of grand on a ray haha.

Anyways, this should be interesting, all the rays are spoken for. I just wonder if Oliver Lucanus got any?

JMorash

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
My understanding is that captive bred black rays are way easier to breed than wild caught. When the time comes for me, I will want captive bred I think.

The problem in the wild (as far as I know) has a lot to do with habitat destruction in the Orinoco basin. Between the settlers, those damn cynide using gold miners, and the export trade in rays, wild stocks were/are in jeopardy. Some people disagree and say that it is the internal politics in Brazil that have led to the closing of the trade.

The thing I like about them is that you have the opportunity to maybe get your money back out of the fish. In SEAsia it the same with Asian aros; you can always be a proxy breeder. We don't have that option here. With black rays, however, anyone can try their hand at breeding them... :)

Marius

Best thing we can do is get some and start breeding them, but I'd rather pay that money on some proven black ray pairs already.

JMorash

My plan is doing a small scale breeding of leopoldi (probably 1.2), pearl (1.1), p14 (1.1), scobina (2.2) and maybe some nice marbled motoros.

I just need to build up my collection. haha.

JMorash

JMorash

I have a pair of "hystrix" coming in february. They aren't the true hystrix from Brazil but look almost identical. I would love to get a few true hystrix, but very few people work with them.

JMorash

homebrewed

Super Moderator
Since they are on the list I'm hoping Mike brings in some for his facility. I'd definatly spoon out so money down the road for a very small ray as would so many others.

What country is your pair coming out of?

JMorash

I don't know right now. I am getting them through Oliver Lucanus. He just told me he will get me the ones that are identical to the true variants. He's hooked me up with about 13 wicked rays so far, so I trust him.

Marius

I have some hystrix on the list and most likely I'll bring some in to see how they develop. Sometimes the diet has a great impact on the development, but definitely a true Hystrix would be a reason to ditch the Motoros :p ...unless you got some cool marbed one going, then you just add another tank :D

You and me both Justin, that's what I'm working for. I never met Oliver and every time I wanted to deal with him something came up, Europe, move to Montreal yada yada. Nevermind the incredible support and research he's been doing, he seems like a very good guy to deal with from the email exchange. I'm really looking forward to meet him.

EKen

Super Moderator
Oliver is a great guy. His emails make him sound a bit rough sometimes, but in person he's your average cool hobbyist.