Wild Caught Black Rays!!

m_class2g

Sponsor
i was reading on the net that the ban is being lifted for black rays. something like 5000 black rays are being allowed to be exported in 2009. i wonder if this is the case. would like to see some being imported here in canada. = )

EKen

Super Moderator
The ban uplift is supposed to start on November 15th. The quotas are:

Potamotrygon motoro - 5200 rays/year
Potamotrygon cf. histrix - 6000 rays/year
Potamotrygon schroederi - 1000 rays/year
Potamotrygon orbignyi - 2400 rays/year
Potamotrygon henlei - 1000 rays/year
Potamotrygon leopoldi - 5000 rays/year

Total 20600 rays/year.

I have been getting quotes from a few suppliers, but which ones are legit... :eek:

Marius

The ban uplift is supposed to start on November 15th. The quotas are:

Potamotrygon motoro - 5200 rays/year
Potamotrygon cf. histrix - 6000 rays/year
Potamotrygon schroederi - 1000 rays/year
Potamotrygon orbignyi - 2400 rays/year
Potamotrygon henlei - 1000 rays/year
Potamotrygon leopoldi - 5000 rays/year

Total 20600 rays/year.

I have been getting quotes from a few suppliers, but which ones are legit... :eek:

Not to mention the quality of the rays that will get to US and Canada. Let's face it, the best will go to Asia, the big farm brokers are probably down there already hand picking their stock.

I'd do the same if I had the money, but a minimum order of 50 black rays is kind of a serious deterrent. :D

JMorash

Hahah, yeah I love Canada too much. So why not just start an inside one in Canada!?

That's what I would do if I won the lottery haha

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
A minimum order is 50 rays? Hmm. Interesting. I must do my homework. I have a really good friend who married a Brazillian; they've been living in Sao Paolo for many years now. I wonder if I went down there next year if I could maybe make some connections? I'd have a place to stay, along with someone to help with translation. Maybe do a little trip around Brazil... :)

If enough us cooperated we could make the 50 order. Sold in groups of 6, as trios, and as singles, with a sliding scale of prices, with individual rays graded according to colouration, size, conditioning, etc...Hmm. Lots to think about. Something tells me it CAN BE DONE! :)

Marius

A minimum order is 50 rays? Hmm. Interesting. I must do my homework. I have a really good friend who married a Brazillian; they've been living in Sao Paolo for many years now. I wonder if I went down there next year if I could maybe make some connections? I'd have a place to stay, along with someone to help with translation. Maybe do a little trip around Brazil... :)

If enough us cooperated we could make the 50 order. Sold in groups of 6, as trios, and as singles, with a sliding scale of prices, with individual rays graded according to colouration, size, conditioning, etc...Hmm. Lots to think about. Something tells me it CAN BE DONE! :)

HAHA, I like the way you're thinking. Let me know when. I'll start working on my Portuguese ;)

If you bypass the brokers and get a contact to the fishermen you're definitely there :D

rudy

Black ray prices are from from dropping though. If the Asians do take 99% of the order it will just fuel the fire. Perhaps in 5-6 years they will level off but not right now.

I have heard 800 of the PDR rays are spoken for by one person. That is like 20% of the quota by one guy....

You also have to take into account that probably 50% of those rays will die before they get anywhere the quota becomes increasingly small.

I am going to try to get a few but am not going to be surprised if it does not happen.