Thailand 2011

m_class2g

Sponsor
after taiwan, i went to vietnam and cambodia. i didnt have enough time in those places to hunt for lfs lol. was too busy with temples, boat trips etc etc. although i did manage to travel through the mekong river. we went through mekong and some of the many tributaries and asked the locals if they have seen any STS! no luck. only fish i saw were some giant gouramis, fhs and lots and lots of mekong sharks (catfish).

i then travelled to tailand and spend a good portion in thailand, chiang mai, ko samui and kotao. i went fishing in a stocked lake in chiang mai for some giant mekong catfish! biggest i caught was nearly 50lbs! they sit like logs and after the 5th or 6th, the arms started to hurt lol. after going up north to chiang mai, i flew south to the beaches and returned back in bangkok where i finally got to see some good lfs! there was everything you can think of in that 1 fish street beside the weekend market. from monster fish to community fish to the amount of dry goods they had was amazing. next to the fish street was dogs, cats, birds, reptiles etc etc. i was like a little boy in a candy shop lol. walking around for a few hours through the small streets. there were hundreds of shops!!! i wish we had that luxury or selection back here in canada! anyway, enough of the stories... here are some pictures!

theres just so many pictures! ill finish loading them onto this thread tomorrow lol. heres page 1 of page 5 lol.

theo, now i see why it takes you a while to post these pics of your travels!!! its just so much work/time consuming!!!

P1030183.jpg

P1030185.jpg

P1030186.jpg

P1030187.jpg

P1030188.jpg

P1030189.jpg

P1030190.jpg

P1030191.jpg

P1030192.jpg

P1030193.jpg

P1030194.jpg

P1030197.jpg

P1030199.jpg

P1030200.jpg

Last edited:

m_class2g

Sponsor
1 more pic for tonight. my giant mekong catfish! this was the biggest i caught that day.

P2270045.jpg

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Wonderful pics Mike, kind of like being a kid in a candy store over there, eh? That last photo of you holding the catfish, it looks a bit related to an irridescent cat.

m_class2g

Sponsor
Wonderful pics Mike, kind of like being a kid in a candy store over there, eh? That last photo of you holding the catfish, it looks a bit related to an irridescent cat.

yup now i know how you felt! i just wanted to buy everything lol. even saw some baby predatory birds for sale. owl and eagle i think they were. ill have pics of those guys in a bit.

the catfish was surely fun to catch. although it was pretty pitiful because they were in a man made fishing lake... getting fished everyday of the yr. some of the larger fish had red sores on their mouth from probably getting hooked everyday.

charles

Look at that catfish... must fight better than a salmon... Did you do any salt water fishing in Thailand? They have first class charter boat there.

m_class2g

Sponsor
Look at that catfish... must fight better than a salmon... Did you do any salt water fishing in Thailand? They have first class charter boat there.

i did take a saltwater fishing day trip. unfortunately, we went out when the weather was not nice. too wavy. i wanted to catch blue spotted stingrays but ended up catching some reef fish. they were just as spectacular though!! we also had an onboard cook that cooked the fish we caught. tasted good!

charles

last time I was in Thailand, we tried the local local charter boat, you know the long skinny type wooden boat. (It was cheap) We caught lots of lizard fish. Come to think of it, I should have paid the extra to try the first class charters. It was all tiny small fish and nothing to photograph for. All was done with hand lining...

snow

What a cool trip that must have been. I' ve always wanted to go there and check out their LFS. You look like the guy right out of river monsters!

chen88

Super Moderator
I've beento Thailand a few times including Phuket. For sone reason while I was there, the fishes that caught my eyes were in tanks with no water inside! ;-)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
You were lucky to get the photos of the birds; when I was at the market, it had recently been busted by Thai wildlife officials for having illegal species, primates and such; thus, the people who had rare birds, snakes or turtles for sale got really angry at me any time I tried to take a photo...

Great photos Mike, gives people an idea of what they can see if they go there. :)

m_class2g

Sponsor
You were lucky to get the photos of the birds; when I was at the market, it had recently been busted by Thai wildlife officials for having illegal species, primates and such; thus, the people who had rare birds, snakes or turtles for sale got really angry at me any time I tried to take a photo...

Great photos Mike, gives people an idea of what they can see if they go there. :)

they actually did not want me to take pics of the birds but i did anyways. lol. i thought it was pretty neat that they had these kind of species for sale at the market. you can pretty much find anything there. even HUGE land tortoises