Algae Magnet

hondas3000

Wetsuit and a scrubber. in your case is easy because 2 ft deep so you can put your hand in. My 1" acrylic can't even move an inch with magnet.

skynoch

I use the magfloat 510a on 1 1/4" acrylic. You need to keep up with it as it will come off easier when dirty. Also the swim and scrub method for the rest of the inside.

tman

Super Moderator
The "Algae free" tiger shark float works good on my 5/8 glass. It is acrylic safe and is for aquariums 5/8 to 3/4". It is a really strong magnet and it won't be falling off at any time. They come in 4 sizes and work up to 1" thickness. http://www.algaefree.com/products.html. Nothing has worked as good as these and you can buy replacement pads for them.

exoticaquaria

The "Algae free" tiger shark float works good on my 5/8 glass. It is acrylic safe and is for aquariums 5/8 to 3/4". It is a really strong magnet and it won't be falling off at any time. They come in 4 sizes and work up to 1" thickness. http://www.algaefree.com/products.html. Nothing has worked as good as these and you can buy replacement pads for them.

Perfect! Thats what ill get! Thx you! Do you have to replace the pad? Or just buy the magnet for 120 and im ready to go?

Im tired of having to go slow with the magfloat, having to open the lids and reallign the magnet.

tman

Super Moderator
Perfect! Thats what ill get! Thx you! Do you have to replace the pad? Or just buy the magnet for 120 and im ready to go?

Im tired of having to go slow with the magfloat, having to open the lids and reallign the magnet.

Mine came with the pads and an extra set too! One pad for the outside piece and one for the inside piece.

exoticaquaria

great white sounds better.

anyways, i ordered the tiger shark one. hope it will do the job. i don't want to fish for magnets anymore. lol

RDFISHGUY

I just ordered a couple of these too. I hope they work as good as you guys claim. I found the mag floats were either under powered or way over powered , to the point you had to put your whole body in it to move it.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Make sure you use the right sized ones for any given tank; I scraped a smaller acrylic tank when I used the magnets calibrated for a larger tank (which has thicker acrylic walls).

chen88

Super Moderator
Yeah, interested to fibs out how they work too. Ive already scratched the hell out of my acrylic so not worried about that anymore. :)

exoticaquaria

I just picked up a great white for my 520, I will let you guys know how it works when I use it. I still have my tiger for my 450 and it's still going strong. Here is another magnet that is supposed to be good but it doesn't float like the algae free ones if it comes apart.

http://www.magnavore.com/store/en/19-magnetic-algae-cleaners

I wanted floating also so i went with the tiger. Great magnet! Never have to fish for the other half ever again lol

chen88

Super Moderator
finally looking at getting the Great white scrubber....where did you guys order it from including the addition pads? price? JLAquatic doesn't seem to have the great white but just the tiger.

tman

Super Moderator
finally looking at getting the Great white scrubber....where did you guys order it from including the addition pads? price? JLAquatic doesn't seem to have the great white but just the tiger.

Watch out as the great white is really strong and I found out after I bought it that it doesn't float if they become separated. Pain in the butt when they come apart and the magnet goes to the bottom of the tank. The tiger shark is the one to get as it's easier to push and floats if disconnected. Bought both of mine at a lfs.

chen88

Super Moderator
Watch out as the great white is really strong and I found out after I bought it that it doesn't float if they become separated. Pain in the butt when they come apart and the magnet goes to the bottom of the tank. The tiger shark is the one to get as it's easier to push and floats if disconnected. Bought both of mine at a lfs.

Would the tiger hold together on my 1" thick acrylic?