skynoch

newtankmay15-4.jpg

newtankmay15-5.jpg

newtankmay15-6.jpg

newtankmay15-7.jpg

newtankmay15-8.jpg

tman

Super Moderator
Nice Rays! I will trade a Motoro for your Black!:D I can't believe the work involved in your filter system etc!! Top notch! You should go into the monster tank business!! Where are the clown loaches? They should grow huge in that tank.

The TRUST

Wow that is an awesome tank? Do you have the plans for it? wanted to take a look at how you built it and maybe do something similiar in the future.

skynoch

Amazing tank. Pics dont do it justice.
Thanks Tim glad you could make it out to see it.
This tank is top drawer! Very nice!
Thanks you
Nice Rays! I will trade a Motoro for your Black!:D I can't believe the work involved in your filter system etc!! Top notch! You should go into the monster tank business!! Where are the clown loaches? They should grow huge in that tank.
lol, if only I didn't have so many motoros. Thanks, I'm going to be putting in some driftwood and sand in first and then the clowns and see how they do then.
Love it! your mechanical is top notch! Rays are stunning as well! well done!
Thanks your zavlar build was a good inspiration
what an awesome setup! filtration system must have cost an arm and a leg! any aros in this tank?
It actually did add up a bit after I kinda looked at the bills. Thanks hopefully I'll be able to finish the filter room his winter and the tanks outside.
Wow that is an awesome tank? Do you have the plans for it? wanted to take a look at how you built it and maybe do something similiar in the future.
I didn't really make up a good set of plans beforehand just jotted some notes as I went. The only reason I could do this was I built my tank off of vldesign's build from mfk

skynoch

After looking at your build I wanna move back to the west and build something big. Montreal is a sad place to be in this hobby. cant find any good fish food let alone fish :D

There's not alot out here either only 4 out of my 22 stingrays were found in pet stores. Alot of the things for my tank build I got over the internet or were special orders to get. Thank god for some good importers on here.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
There's not alot out here either only 4 out of my 22 stingrays were found in pet stores. Alot of the things for my tank build I got over the internet or were special orders to get. Thank god for some good importers on here.

When you are operating at the top level of the hobby you've got to go "unconventional" and import direct or work with a broker imo. Can you imagine the retail cost of what you have assembled/created?

Its awesome to watch your project develop... :)

skynoch

how are those indo dats doing!? they get bigget yet!?
The dats are doing amazing. I have half of them eating pellets. I did lose a few as some grew very quick and ate some of the slower growing ones.
Man!! pro setup!
Thak you
When you are operating at the top level of the hobby you've got to go "unconventional" and import direct or work with a broker imo. Can you imagine the retail cost of what you have assembled/created?

Its awesome to watch your project develop... :)
I'm still aways from the top level but slowly climbing.lol
I'm glad I didn't have to get a retail cost on this or I wouldn't be able to afford anything to put in it.
Thanks I hope I can get aquascaping done over the summer and then the outside of the tank next winter. I'll try and remember to keep the pics coming.

skynoch

A little better explanation of the mechanical.
Very simple filtration. A reeflow hamerhead pump pushing through a 24" sta-rite sand filter with part of the return going to the brute garbage can which is actually a bioreactor. The electric water heater was only brought online for the initial heating as the drip system and pumps provide all the heat needed. The drip system is just a cold and hot water line valaved together and then ran through a sediment and 2 charcoal flters. There is a reeflow barracuda used for just circulation. The over flow and sand filter waste are tied diectly into the house drain lines. Added a new electrical panel for the tank equipment. The pvc junction box has controllers,timers and relays for the lighting,heater and pump. The lighting is 2- 8' 4 tube lamp fixtures with the lamps paired off turning 2 on/off at 4 different time intervals controlled by a timer designed for auto water systems. The heater controller is a johnsen controls model which allows me to set the on off temps very presicely. There is also a omron timer that when a feed pushbuttun is pressed it will shut the circulating pumps off for 10 minutes. The air pump is a podmaster ap-100 model which provides the bioreactor with air and part of the tank airstones also. Still have alot of things I want to do and try but that is what is making this whole project so fun.
And now for sme pics!

skynoch

is that henlei one of tims pups???its very nice

Thanks, No it was brought in from mike at h20 nearly 3 years ago. I love how the king pattern has stayed with it. It's finally started to show breeding behavior. Once everthing is well established in the big tank I'll do a few things to really spark some breeding.

skynoch

The tiger in there now is doing fine but I lost another one due to my leo that was in there with it. The leo seemed to pick on the tigers more and in around 1 day it stressed the tiger out so bad it died. The damage wasn't that much which leads me to believe that tigers are very sensitive to stress compared to other rays, even flowers. The one I lost was flawless with a full tale and around 2.5-3 years old, it will be hard to replace.
I find leos are more aggresive than most rays so I would not mix leos and tigers.

Plum

Your footprint must be larger than 8x4

what strategy did you use to "bond" the multiple sheets of plywood together?

IE: you would have had at least two for your bottom... did you simply butt them together and glue - zavlar over top?

PS: I like the tile look - very nice. I wonder if this would help keep any heat in the tank (marginal of course).

I have a soapstone fireplace... very common once upon a time as when burning wood to heat your home, the stone would absorb the heat keeping your house toasty for longer periods.

Anyway.... nice build.

skynoch

Your footprint must be larger than 8x4

what strategy did you use to "bond" the multiple sheets of plywood together?

IE: you would have had at least two for your bottom... did you simply butt them together and glue - zavlar over top?

PS: I like the tile look - very nice. I wonder if this would help keep any heat in the tank (marginal of course).

I have a soapstone fireplace... very common once upon a time as when burning wood to heat your home, the stone would absorb the heat keeping your house toasty for longer periods.

Anyway.... nice build.
My footprint is 144" x 84" x 42". What I did was just use drywall tape on all the joins. If I wasn't tiling the tank and just painting over the zavlar I would have chosen a different textile. I have 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood and then 3 sheets of 1/2" plywood on top perpendicular to the bottom pieces and none were glued together. My beams were arranged so they were doubled up where the joins were. I debated if I should glue the 1/2" plywood to the 3/4" but figured with the tiling and the water pressure there shouldn't be a need. My tank was probably done a little overkill.
I imagine it would offer some insulation and heat retention but with the r20 insulation in the walls There isn't much heat loss, my pumps alone actually keep the water at 81.