Aro Grow out????s

Adz1

So i have a 5'x3' foot print on my 250g.
I need to try and set it up for grow out of aro so it does not get eaten by my xlg Pbass.
another tank would be ideal but is out of the question...;((wife says NO!!!!).
any ideas and or experiances wouldf be greatly apreciated.

i have egg crate and have segged off a section of this tank before but not sure if would be enough room for an aro.....

exoticaquaria

how much space in the smaller section? if you are growin a small aro, lower water level and less space is best as they eat better and are less skittish. so smaller space is actually beneficial if you are growing out a small aro.

chen88

Super Moderator
my experience with eggcrates is if the aro or fish in general gets scared and hits the egg crate, it does quite a bit of damage...it would be better if you can get a piece of acrylic cut and than drill holes in them so water can flow through...just a thought..

hondas3000

I would get a 75G tank and grow out as its too risky to divide the tank with pbass. Your pbass is too big to have any divider strong enough for them.

Adz1

I would get a 75G tank and grow out as its too risky to divide the tank with pbass. Your pbass is too big to have any divider strong enough for them.

this would be ideal but the wife is having none of the grow out tank talks....

hondas3000

this would be ideal but the wife is having none of the grow out tank talks....

well tell her just temporary and you will sell it once the aro is bigger. Or sell pbass for dirt cheap or trade in IPU. I been there done that and yes you gain some you loose some but at least you get what you want.

Adz1

how much space in the smaller section? if you are growin a small aro, lower water level and less space is best as they eat better and are less skittish. so smaller space is actually beneficial if you are growing out a small aro.

ends up being a triangle 30"x30"x36".

Aro51

my experience with eggcrates is if the aro or fish in general gets scared and hits the egg crate, it does quite a bit of damage...it would be better if you can get a piece of acrylic cut and than drill holes in them so water can flow through...just a thought..

I'm with Chen on avoiding the egg crates. Acrylic with drilled holes is better.

Grow out tank or selling the pbass is best if possible.

bcarlos

I've used egg crate dividers with aros many times and never had an issue. That being said, give the five foot length of the tank, I think it's be a bad idea to divide the tank any shorter for a pbass.

Adz1

so then is my 30"x30"x36" triangle big enough for grow out a small aro?
using acrylic is do able for me just need to know if i am offering the aro enough room?

hondas3000

its depend how big you want to grow the aro to. You don't want to swim in a circle. If the aro is 12" then its like one little push and its at the other end of the tank. Fish store they hold it in small tank because it is temporary so you need to come up with something fast and take risk as your pbass is so big so even a 16" aro that they don't like then still can kill it and yes its happen to a few member here before.