arowana sale scam

Vanvwong

Hi arowana fans, recently there're many scams going on, be alert. many of them from Cameroon, pay via western union only, they can get your $$ without the mtcn. and also on aquabid, with lower price for lower class arowana such as hi-back, don't be fooled. good luck dragon seekers !!

chen88

Super Moderator
Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully most of our members are familar with reputable farms and vendors to use when it comes to buying Aros. Unlike other species in this hobby, the high value of aros in general "Typically" have a good sense of where to buy their fish.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I got an email a few months back from someone who lost $2500 USD to a scammer on Aquabid for some rays from Wisconsin that never arrived.

There has been another scam floating around for L-46 out of Stockholm Sweden. I have heard that scam has been around for many years now, resurfacing every so often. In this case it is all done by email, lots of pretty photos, could be convincing for some inexperienced hobbyists. Gotta do your due diligence. And of course if it sounds too good to be true... ;)

All these international scams provide us just one more reason in Canada - and on this site - to work together.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Just for fun I did a little Googling (beats the housepainting I am supposed to be doing :rolleyes: ) , and found the following scams:

http://www.petclassifieds.us/182319/Top-Quality-Asian-arowana-for-sale-with-complete-s.html

http://www.kugli.com/Classified_Ads/adid/434662/adtitle/Asian_arowana_for_sale/

There was another one a while ago on a classified site in the USA, someone trying to sell CV Maju. That scam is gone now. And there was another one a while ago, someone patched a photo togehter with little reproductions of a gold aro, all different sizes, but all the same fish; they tried to make it look like they had an aro community tank. I wish I had copied the photo from that scam before it got removed from the net. Sad thing is, I bet that scam will make a come back.

chen88

Super Moderator
These are all reasons why you need to stick with reputable forums and members and vendors....many times it's people from places where Aro's are not abundant and or legally allowed ie..US...where they target!....

m_class2g

Sponsor
These are all reasons why you need to stick with reputable forums and members and vendors....many times it's people from places where Aro's are not abundant and or legally allowed ie..US...where they target!....

yup that pretty much sums it up lol.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I was at a local fish store today and heard from someone about another aro scam apparently based in Alberta on buysell.com; I just looked it up here:

http://www.buysell.com/Alberta/Arow...a1a1a1az1qz4y-6A070E45/?kwd=arowana&gclid=986

The fellow I chatted with today contacted these guys. They claimed to have all varieties of Asian arowana for sale for a flat fee of $400 each. They also asked for a certified cheque or money order to be mailed to them in Alberta. :rolleyes: