At what age do arrows cross

rudy

I have heard this is not a size thing it is an age thing so was wondering at what age does it happen if it is going to happen

chen88

Super Moderator
Age and quality of the aro! Not all XBs cross, depends on bloodline. Similar to reds with age and blood line. Some reds turn orange and some red.

hondas3000

To me, Its never about the age and size its all about the bloodline. Strong light do play a part from prevent it crossing.

EEYY

For XB quality, I would say it should be at least with high-end AA or AAA grade.

Otherwise, if the name is simply called "cross-back" and cannot identify the actual grade, there might have a chance that the scale will never grow to cross-back.

rudy

That is interesting. From an uneducated buyer then grade refers to color. If you are buying a fish called a cross back and farms selling them as a cross back don't you think that shouldn't even be a question?

rudy

What about levels of shine. Do they increase with age or are you pretty much set when they develop?

hondas3000

That is interesting. From an uneducated buyer then grade refers to color. If you are buying a fish called a cross back and farms selling them as a cross back don't you think that shouldn't even be a question?

This is why experience keeper they prefer to buy the fish in person or at least see the fish first so they can judge before buying it. Farm do have different price for their xb and its depend on quality it cross.

What about levels of shine. Do they increase with age or are you pretty much set when they develop?

This case just luck, some do increase as age but some don't and we can't really tell, it is just pure luck.

rudy

This is why experience keeper they prefer to buy the fish in person or at least see the fish first so they can judge before buying it. Farm do have different price for their xb and its depend on quality it cross.

This case just luck, some do increase as age but some don't and we can't really tell, it is just pure luck.

How do. They...or they buyer know when their babies? I am quite interested in this.

well, i bought my first cross back two years ago, it was around 12inches and only 15-20% cross, but now it is 18inches and fully crossed . i think it is mainly relate to bloodline.
i bought mine with potential which i can see from my eyes.

hondas3000

How do. They...or they buyer know when their babies? I am quite interested in this.

There is no way anyone can tell from baby. Farm only sell higher price when they see potential in some fish at sub adult size. Its the group buy like us get to depend on luck. Trust is not even there when it come to money.

RDFISHGUY

By the time it reaches 18-20" it should be crossed. Full pearlies usually cross but not always. Mine has full pearlies but not fully crossed. Could be due to intense light and black tank right from the beginning. He has lots of 6th row gold color but no scales fully cross. You can get XB's that are fully crossed at 10-14". They are expensive but worth it. At 8" and even smaller you can see the potential. You can see some gold , at the 6th level, near the back of this fish:
http://www.arowanaclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3198

The fish are grown out to this size before they can be tagged. This means they can be graded. Most farms aren't tagging fish that are smaller than 6".

Last edited:

steelheader

I find water quality will help aid in the fishes scales crossing I own a cross back and I had to change tanks and with the new filtration system and stronger flow the cross back is stunning now, and so I changed my high backs tank and it's quickley developing the 5th row scales with my experience water quality is key and held to research the farm and it's quality food is also major in bringing out colors as well

Just my 2 cents