Bacteria bloom

chen88

Super Moderator
damn...woke up this morning to find my tank go from almost clear to not being able to see my fish! LOL...looks like a bacteria bloom happening. All water parms are stable and good.

Going to do a 30% water change and put in some stability and off goes the light for the next week and hope for this to clear up in a few weeks.....sigh....oh well...was just waiting for that to happen...but no today...

chen88

Super Moderator
I have a 50W UV...Huge, just didnt' have time to hook it up until now :) just filling back up with water with uv connected to my inline...

James Sananikone

I have a 50W UV...Huge, just didnt' have time to hook it up until now :) just filling back up with water with uv connected to my inline...

I have a 36W UV in my tanks, the one in my office is exposed to a direct sunlight all day and the water is cristal clear !

With your 50W as Rudy said " They will be gone today ! "

Cheers.

chen88

Super Moderator
ok...all is running...no Leaks...lol

only an hour behind taking kids out for lunch...but all is good I hope by tomorrow.

Thanks guys...just needed that confirmation to hook up the uv

Joey

A UV wont solve a bacteria bloom... the size and flow rates of which we imploy our UV's will do little more than kill free floating algae....

Water changes and close monitoring of the parameters are better suited for the bacteria bloom.. not a cover up like the UV may provide..

If all else fails... send that jaw dropping tank stock to me!... id even pay for shipping...LOL

chen88

Super Moderator
LOL....well...i've done 30% WC this morning and got my 50W uv running...so in another couple of days I'll do another 30%....I've only had a BB on me a couple of times and know it takes forever ie..2-3 weeks to clear up....as long as water parms are good...I can hold out on this...:)

DaiDee

It'll go away...may take awhile since you have a large volume of water or you could try willow branches...I heard they've worked in clearing up cloudy water.

chen88

Super Moderator
well...after 24 hours, 30% WC and connecting my 50W UV, I now can see the back of my tank and drift wood compared to yesterday...and still the same number of fish...no one escaped! :D

danfong88

how is the water quality now? 30WC should do the trick.You have lots of different fish in your tank, have you been checking the water parameter so there is no spike.

EEYY

All is good. Bbloom is expected and all Parm's are good

Just to remind you that uv lamp might not last forever. You might need to replace it per 9 - 12 months, assuming you never turn it off from this point onward.

Plus, if you turn uv sterilizer on and off all the time, it will shorten lifespan of uv lamp.

chen88

Super Moderator
all is good now...I have equally as much media as I do bio balls. Like I said...this is something I was expecting with such a large new tank...but all is good and cleared up within 48hours after 30%WC and 50W UV.

EEYY

all is good now...I have equally as much media as I do bio balls. Like I said...this is something I was expecting with such a large new tank...but all is good and cleared up within 48hours after 30%WC and 50W UV.

With such a high bio-load level, bio-balls may not be able to do the job.