• tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 661
  • tank5.jpg
    tank5.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 660

chen88

Super Moderator
Hey Tim, how big is the Plat RTC in there? he looks quite a bit smaller then his other mates in there!...almost makes me want to introduce mine into my big tank...the only difference is my tank has hiding space for him in the driftwood....how is the giant gourami in there? I've always loved the Red tail Gourami's but found in the past they've harrassed my aros....

rudy

Hey Tim, how big is the Plat RTC in there? he looks quite a bit smaller then his other mates in there!...almost makes me want to introduce mine into my big tank...the only difference is my tank has hiding space for him in the driftwood....how is the giant gourami in there? I've always loved the Red tail Gourami's but found in the past they've harrassed my aros....

The red tail is 13-14 inches. If my henlei female has not ripped him apart by now she probably wont. Hiding spaces dont work with her as she will pick up slate and throw it around...she does not like furniture.

The Giant gourami just literally went in there. I have been on a mission to find the biggest one I can.

chen88

Super Moderator
love the moba/kitumba too....i'm considering getting a large one to put into my tank too ....as for the gourami we've got some very nice big white ones at my lfs...but again I've had bad experience with then and then ended up giving it away...

rudy

love the moba/kitumba too....i'm considering getting a large one to put into my tank too ....as for the gourami we've got some very nice big white ones at my lfs...but again I've had bad experience with then and then ended up giving it away...

Mpimbwe! I am done with arrows so I have no issue with the GG

DaiDee

Not to be a d!ck or anything but adding a frontosa in those water parameters is like adding a clown loach in an african cichlid environment. Fronts require higher ph and harder water while the rest of your fish prefer the opposite...

rudy

Not to be a d!ck or anything but adding a frontosa in those water parameters is like adding a clown loach in an african cichlid environment. Fronts require higher ph and harder water while the rest of your fish prefer the opposite...

Short of asking him if he is happy....find a better cared for and better colored and bigger frontosa and I will accept that. Short of that all my fish live in Calgary tap water. I don't alter it, I don't add anything to it not even prime.
I dont even own a test kit.

chen88

Super Moderator
LOL....I don't really know what my PH is anyways...like Tim, I just open the tap on my sink and what ever is the PH, it is that they will have to swim, breath and bathe in....

DaiDee

Short of asking him if he is happy....find a better cared for and better colored and bigger frontosa and I will accept that. Short of that all my fish live in Calgary tap water. I don't alter it, I don't add anything to it not even prime.
I dont even own a test kit.

That's being very short sighted. Taking care of an animal would include providing the proper environment for your pet, no? It's like saying, well, I feed my toy yorkie large dog breed food, clean up after him, wash him but I leave him outside with my husky. That's great but in the end, it is still an indoor dog and should be kept indoors and fed the right kind of diet.

People do it all the time, sorry for pointing you out. I just thought perhaps you didn't realize that frontosa's require different parameters.

As the saying goes, ignorance is Bliss.

Look, I'm not trying to start anything here and I apologize if I have offended you.

rudy

That's being very short sighted. Taking care of an animal would include providing the proper environment for your pet, no? It's like saying, well, I feed my toy yorkie large dog breed food, clean up after him, wash him but I leave him outside with my husky. That's great but in the end, it is still an indoor dog and should be kept indoors and fed the right kind of diet.

People do it all the time, sorry for pointing you out. I just thought perhaps you didn't realize that frontosa's require different parameters.

As the saying goes, gnorance is Bliss.

Look, I'm not trying to start anything here and I apologize if I have offended you.

You have not offended me...I completely disagree with you and wonder what your rational is other than thats what the book says but thats ok. If you are going to make a point, then you should at least have something to back it up then a Yorkie/ Husky commentary. This fish is F1 and has always lived in Calgary water. He has never enjoyed the hard waters of Africa. He has done pretty well though.

DaiDee

You have not offended me...I completely disagree with you and wonder what your rational is other than thats what the book says but thats ok. If you are going to make a point, then you should at least have something to back it up then a Yorkie/ Husky commentary. This fish is F1 and has always lived in Calgary water. He has never enjoyed the hard waters of Africa. He has done pretty well though.

So you're saying, just because a fish is F1 that is the type of environment it should live in? No, it just means it's been acclimated to your waters. Doesn't mean it's natural for the fish.

So if you slowly raised the salinity of your water, will your ray become a salt water ray?

Talking about backing things up, what do you have to back up your claims that F1's are genetically modified because they are born into a different environment? You get me hard proof on that and I'll agree with your claims.

rudy

So you're saying, just because a fish is F1 that is the type of environment it should live in? No, it just means it's been acclimated to your waters. Doesn't mean it's natural for the fish.

So if you slowly raised the salinity of your water, will your ray become a salt water ray?

Talking about backing things up, what do you have to back up your claims that F1's are genetically modified because they are born into a different environment? You get me hard proof on that and I'll agree with your claims.

I have proof. I have a 15 inch very healthy Frontosa. Are you claiming psychological damage? I would seriously love you to tell me what is wrong with my fish. Don't believe everything you read, real life is usually pretty accurate.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I've seen this kind of debate play out so many times. Is aquarium keeping an art or science, or an art based in science? Does a great cook use books or cook on intuition? From what I can see of this Frontosa, it is not just surviving, but thriving. The interesting question for me would be why is this so?

In my opinion hobbyists who are operating at the top level or doing unusual set ups often "discover" knowledge. Often this knowldege goes against convention.

For what it is worth, I have seen an arowana and ray set up in Holland that had a full colony of breeding frontosa with a near neutral Ph. With the fronts breeding, generation after generation - and living long lives - how could anyone say the fish were not well cared for?

*Note: many of the frontosa in the photos below were well over 1 foot in length

dsc_0206.jpg

dsc_0207.jpg

dsc_0208.jpg

dsc_0209.jpg

You can read an article about the tank here: http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/people/Aquarticles_Frank_Nico.html

Last edited:

DaiDee

I have proof. I have a 15 inch very healthy Frontosa. Are you claiming psychological damage? I would seriously love you to tell me what is wrong with my fish. Don't believe everything you read, real life is usually pretty accurate.

I am not claiming psychological damage as that is obviously not possible to diagnose. Nor am I saying there is something wrong with your fish from the unclear photo. We are all entitled to our own opinions right? I was just stating your inconsistent biotype. Who knows, maybe your water is hard and ph is high and suits the frontosa perfectly. Well, then I guess all your other fish have had to acclimate to the environment they live in.

This is a very exhausted subject that's been debated over and over...

Just because they appear to be fine, or don't show any signs of distress, doesn't mean it couldn't be better for them. There are irregularities no doubt, but science wouldn't exist if there was no accuracy involved. I would not discredit the scientists and researchers who do this for a living not to mention have a passion for it. If it wasn't for them, we would still be using fish bowls and blowing air through a tube to provide surface agitation for our fish. Look at how much the salt water technology has evolved. To the point where you can keep a mini ocean in your home.

You're right, I shouldn't believe everything I read. Which is exactly how I filter information I read about. This being an example as one of them. I don't expect you to understand because this is not considered 'real life'.

If everyone thought the way you did, we would all be breeding arowanas because they are so healthy and big. Not quite my friend...

Why do we all try to get the largest tanks we can accomdate for aros? Or the best filtration? Why do we tan them? To imitate a fish' natural environment to the best we can, no? So it puzzles me when people are blind sighted for certain things. I guess we're all guilty of one wrong thing or another.

We all have different morals. Some people opt to recreate a species specific environment some don't.

To each his own...

Anyways, like Cirrus has mentioned, this topic has been played out....sorry for being overly passionate on the subject.

oshiet

The tap water is Calgary is pretty hard due to high levels of calcium and magnesium in the bow and elbow rivers (tap water source) with an average PH of 7.6-8.0
If anything, the front should feel at home more than the other tropical fish in the tank.

Most of us tend to over react about freshwater PH. Unless the levels are excessively too high or low, there shouldnt be any cause of major concern. We keep aros in our tanks which natural habitat is softer water with a recommended PH of about 6.5, yet my homes tap water reads PH 7.2-7.6. The fish are hardy, and can acclimate to new living parameters.

If the fish are healthy, eating, thriving, breeding. Something is being done right.

BTW, nice pics! ;)