chosing an arowana

senthus

Just wanted to ask everyone here.. would you buy an arowana if it just sits at the bottom of the tank .. I know the pet store tanks are small, and may contribute to the "laziness" but do you think the arowana would liven up once introducted into a bigger home?

Arrow

Sounds to me like the fish is really stressed or possibly sick.
What sized tank is it in and how big and what type of arow?
From the arows I've seen in pet stores even though theyre in smaller tanks they are still floating/swimming around prety good.

I'd find out how long the store has had it and if they offer any guarentee since the fish doesnt seem right. Ask them if they would feed it in front of you, if it wont eat something is def wrong.

senthus

the tank didnt look more than 15-20 gallon (or even less) it was a 24k gold aro and it was about12"

I asked the owner of the store, and its been in there for over a year...

even when i approached the tank, it just ignored me and stayed at the bottom. Usually, they follow the finger thinking its food or something

Sounds to me like the fish is really stressed or possibly sick.
What sized tank is it in and how big and what type of arow?
From the arows I've seen in pet stores even though theyre in smaller tanks they are still floating/swimming around prety good.

I'd find out how long the store has had it and if they offer any guarentee since the fish doesnt seem right. Ask them if they would feed it in front of you, if it wont eat something is def wrong.

Arrow

Well it will either change completely and go back to normal in your tank or the shock of the change make make it worse.

Depending on the price it might be worth the risk, especially if its still eating and again make sure ithey feed it in front of you

glamit

the tank didnt look more than 15-20 gallon (or even less) it was a 24k gold aro and it was about12"

I asked the owner of the store, and its been in there for over a year...

even when i approached the tank, it just ignored me and stayed at the bottom. Usually, they follow the finger thinking its food or something

its normal for them to stay at the bottom of the tank sometimes, i have a community tank and every so often i see a few resting at the bottom. So long as he eats your ok. Aggresive aros will follow you thinking its time for feed some just arent active. Id be more worried that hes only 12" and has been in that tank for over a year, they arrive from the farm aroung 6-7 inches generally grow an inch a month. My sapphire is about 16-17" and hes about a year and 4 months tag date. Aros do feel more comfortable in a smaller tank and then gradually upgrading.

bcarlos

Unless it was the deal of the century, I personally would never buy a high-end fish from a LFS. The mark-up is just too high for me to live with, knowing that I could find a comparable/higher quality fish for cheaper online. This is my opinion, and I know some will disagree.

Regarding sitting on the bottom, some aro's do this. I would look for other signs of poor health (i.e. gill curl, thin frame, damaged fins, poor appetite, etc). It's also perfectly acceptable for you to ask an employee to see the aro eat. If you're spending hundreds of dollars on a fish, you deserve the piece of mind of knowing your fish has a clean bill of health.

Joey

How much do they want for it? Any signs of stunting?

If the aro is in good shape, then the fact that it stays on the bottom of the tank probely doesnt matter. Since it is only a 15-20gal, and he is 12". Not like he has alot of room to actually act normal.

senthus

How much do they want for it? Any signs of stunting?

If the aro is in good shape, then the fact that it stays on the bottom of the tank probely doesnt matter. Since it is only a 15-20gal, and he is 12". Not like he has alot of room to actually act normal.

how do you tell if theres signs of stunting?

chen88

Super Moderator
i would say if it's been in the tank for a year few years you will notice...but less then a year i don't think you will notice much...

Joey

you'll notice it in its body shape. Look for a curve in the spine. "ruffled" fins, or eyes larger than they should be.
The chest and belly area on a stunted fish is usually puffy as well. The organs contnue to grow, while the body does not. So this gives the apperance of a larger underside in stunted fish. If you see a large belly/chest area, this doesnt nessesarly mean stunting. It could simply be a full belly. So be sure to ask when the last time it ate, what it ate, and how much it ate, if you see this. The decide if its a full belly of food or not. Could also be constipation. You'll generally be able to tell the difference if you have seen stunted fish befor though.

Small tanks are not the only thing that can stunt a fish.. Diet plays a large role as well. So does water quality. Nitrates are said to be growth inhibitors

Last edited: