feeding market prawns

aro7

hey i started feeding my aro frozen prawns bought from the supermarket...

my aro is about 10-12", do you guys usually peel off the shell?

is there any benefit to feeding the arowana with the shell on??

thanks

chen88

Super Moderator
i know some don't but I do when I feed them to my rays and aro. My 15" Aro hasn't really taken to them yet.....only 1-2 per week so when I throw them in for rays he leaves them alone....

m_class2g

Sponsor
i take the shell off the prawn. they seem to eat it a lot easier this way. meaning less mess in your tank.

carcrazy

I also remove the shell and for sure the tail and spike. My red aro likes them as well as all the other fish except my green aro, he's addicted to superworms.

bcarlos

There's a benefit to keeping the shell on, aro7, as this is where much of the carotenoids (the chemical that enhances colour in many animals, including aro's) are. I feed my silver with the shell on, he seems to handle it fine.

Marowana420

i'm too lazy to peel shrimps for my fish. i threw MP with shell on it chews it until all the meat is gone and spits it back out. but im also too lazy to scoop out shells. so now i just buy the peeled and deveined ones.

DaiDee

i'm too lazy to peel shrimps for my fish. i threw MP with shell on it chews it until all the meat is gone and spits it back out. but im also too lazy to scoop out shells. so now i just buy the peeled and deveined ones.

lol! This guy gets better treatment than the kids!

aro7

ok, i just read on the bag its "white shrimp" still the same thing or ok to feed arowana???

i fed it to her twice already and she seemed to eat it fine...

thanks for the advice