filter within a filter?

chen88

Super Moderator
well...I don't have enough room on the top level of my sump for filter floss and the styroform mat...but was wondering which doesn't hurt is to use one of my spare canister (either the FX5 and or Pro 3 2080) to filter my sump? I have a large compartment before the inline pump and though if I put the canister hoses (in and out) in that space it would help not only with the polishing but also the building of BB....just a thought

chen88

Super Moderator
I'm sure there is a way but this would be instant!...just plug and play...I can use the fx5 and fill it with filterfloss in most of the component...easy to change out a fx5 full of filter floss then the sump..

carcrazy

I don't see any problem. I just cleaned my protein skimmer that is sitting in my sump for the saltwater tank. There are also phosban and carbon reactor filters in the same sump. If it works for saltwater it should work for freshwater as well.

oshiet

You can used a fluidized sand bed filter in your sump if you just want to polish your water. Has a really small footprint, and as a plus, it will really increase your bacterial colonies.
It also doesn't need a whole lot of maintenance and no floss to change.

chen88

Super Moderator
You can used a fluidized sand bed filter in your sump if you just want to polish your water. Has a really small footprint, and as a plus, it will really increase your bacterial colonies.
It also doesn't need a whole lot of maintenance and no floss to change.

This will clean the tank since I'm nor using filter floss?

oshiet

Come to think of it, with a tank your size and bioload, a fluidized bed filter might not be efficient enough as the main means of mechanical filtration, unless your planning to build a big one.

Any way you can modify the drip tray of your sump somehow? Post pics of the sump and maybe someone can think of something.

chen88

Super Moderator
here's a view of the sump before I got it up and running....

the black foam sits on a pc of plastic which is supported by an acrylic lip all round. I can remove the black plastic that the foams sits on and remove some of the bioballs and then use the top portion for the filter flosss...just thought it might be easier just to use my fx5 in the main compartment of the sump...

also i will most likely be replacing the bioballs with 20kg of Momotaro Bakki House in a month or so (That's if the wife agrees to bring it back for me on the plane! :) )

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_4906_2.jpg

oshiet

It'll be easier to run the floss in the compartment where the black filter foam is. That way, you just toss out the floss instead of washing the foam.

Ran a FX5 back in the day. Don't you find it a hassle to open up?

chen88

Super Moderator
It'll be easier to run the floss in the compartment where the black filter foam is. That way, you just toss out the floss instead of washing the foam.

Ran a FX5 back in the day. Don't you find it a hassle to open up?

True enough on the floss vs. foam. AND yes it is a pain to open the fx, more of leaks when disconnecting the hose from the unit but i've master that to limit the leaks....just though that I had it and instead of it sitting there I'd use it...also have a Eheim Pro 3 2080 that I can use to. The problem is they are both DAMN heavy when filled with water! LOL....i'm not that old but I do have a bad back...so hrm....but still might use one and I'll change to filter floss vs the foam to see how it turns out...

Thanks

carcrazy

Perhaps you can fit an Ultima 1000 pond filter in somewhere? I use one on my 320g (and an Ultima 2000 on my 270g). I just run the intake pipe and return over the top of the tank, the pump is under the tank along with the filter. It is very quiet and rated for a 1000g pond so it should work well. Maintenance is low as well (backflush once a year out the door). Have had no leaks or spills.

DaiDee

I don't see any real benefit to use the black foam over the filter floss other than being able to rinse it off every so often and reuse it. Oshiet is just biased because he has truckloads of that stuff at his disposal. lol j/k

It's funny, seems like the majority in this hobby have bad backs. Must be from carrying those buckets for those damn waterchanges all these years. haha

FX5's aren't too bad to open up, just have a towel ready. I do prefer Eheim and their clips but even those can break over time. It was definitely a design flaw on Hagen's part with the water spillage.

Chen, where do you have room to put a canister filter anyways? I'd say it doesn't hurt to have it running in your sump. It may be a better idea to hard plumb your FX5 to keep things tidy and minimize any possibility of a hose gone wild inside your stand. I'm not sure how well the canisters will run while being level with the sump, especially since the water level as fairly low.

chen88

Super Moderator
Well...I have both a spare FX5 and a Eheim Pro 3 2080 so either one would be good and can fit inside my cabinet. As for the hoses the water level inside the sump is high enough that I can get the hose down to that level without any problem. The main thing for the extra filter is for polishing and not for BB so it might be best that I use the FX5 for that vs. the 2080. Besides would rather not use up the life of my Pro 3 since it a more costly canister.....I'll look at getting rid of the foam this weekend. I've added the filter floss last night but there's next to no ROOM to put enough in. Another thing I've seen people do is put on filter socks on the return of the sump...anyone use these things?

DaiDee

Definitely go with the FX5 if you're only really planning on using it for mechanical filtration / polishing. I don't really recommend a filter sock as they do get clogged rather quickly and require regular cleaning/replacing. Just go with the filter floss. Btw, is there a drip tray in your sump?

chen88

Super Moderator
Yes there is a drip tray in my sump, it's what the black foam sits on as per the photo on the first page of this thread.....