Filtration ----

chen88

Super Moderator
Well...I hope this is the weekend for all the stuff I want to do to my filtration this weekend.

AUTO WATER CHANGER

1. drilling 1" diameter hole in sump 3-4" above current water. Drill cabinet side to all for 1" diameter hoes to run down to my basement and into drain.
2. Install new BWI filter in basement and run line up to drip into my main 450gal tank.

Summary: Drip system goes into main tank...water from main tank goes into overflow and into to sump. Once water level reaches desired level it will go into 1" bulkhead and drain down to basement drain....sounds easy!..hope it's that easy. I'm not added adding solenoids or floats since my water will be on constant and the drain is mechanical via a 1" drain out...don't care if power outtage, i'll still be getting 50gal per day...:)

New Media to sump and better locations of everything.

- Installing main Bioball components with newly purchased BH from EEYY ontop of Jap mats. there will be a bunch of moving around on here...

Also in my hidden overflows I'm going to put inside some BH....

I will take as many pictures as I can....

Intent with all this work is to reduce the amount of water change I do per week, HOPEFully it's done by water changer and new Media....

bcarlos

I'd be interested to see if there are noticable differences in water chemistry before the BH vs. after. I wish I had run a full battery of tests before I switched to the BH. My opinion, you and your fish will be very happy with the switch :)

I'm sure Eric warned you already, but make sure you soak the BH for a day or two before you put them in your sump. This will prevent your water from clouding.

EEYY

I'd be interested to see if there are noticable differences in water chemistry before the BH vs. after. I wish I had run a full battery of tests before I switched to the BH. My opinion, you and your fish will be very happy with the switch :)

I'm sure Eric warned you already, but make sure you soak the BH for a day or two before you put them in your sump. This will prevent your water from clouding.

Yes , I did mention to Chen about that.

chen88

Super Moderator
Yup, been in water since Sunday and also washed each one before putting into big bin!

hustler

you are going to love how stupid simple that water changer works out :) That alone made this forum a hobby changer for me

chen88

Super Moderator
you are going to love how stupid simple that water changer works out :) That alone made this forum a hobby changer for me

I hope so...sounds easy...and I'm sure after playing with it this weekend I'll kick myself...but it's all good!

chen88

Super Moderator
I know it will work...just want to make sure I get 50-60gallons per day into the tank...just have to figure how to do that... :)

chen88

Super Moderator
just his $105 package...i don't need the float or solenoid as I'm having the water drip from the filter into my main tank, and then I'm drilling in a 1" dia hole in my sump with a 1" bulkhead...once the water reaches that point, it will drain out into my drain in the basement by my laundry sink. Don't have to worry about power outages ether as no power is required for water to drain!

chen88

Super Moderator
Ok, going to get started tomorrow with re arranging the media first. Before I get started on the drip system, one question. I was planning to have the incoming water drip directly into my main tank vs into the sump. My thought was I'm getting fresh water going into my tank instantly and in the event of a power outage I am still getting water exchange.

So what's everyones comment views on this?

I will be drilling in a 1" bulkhead into my sump to allow fir continuious draining, aim is to have 60-70 gal worth of exchange per day

DaiDee

I think that's a good way to go Chen. Drip directly into the tank.

Just curious, what's the reasoning behind changing 400-500 gallons of water a week? Only asking because I plan on setting one up myself but wasn't sure what kind of weekly turnover rate to go with. Are you aiming for a complete tank volumn turnover weekly? If so what is the reasoning behind this if we come from 25%-50% weekly waterchanges?

Maybe some of the other guys with ATOs can chime in here as well. Thanks

hustler

I have mine dripping into the main tank right above an outpipe from the sump so i know the water is dispursed right away and my drip nipple is a 1gph but i have measured it in a 5 gal pail and it drips 2.5 gallons per hour.
Also did you get a pressure regulator?

chen88

Super Moderator
That's just about the Gph I'm looking at, perhaps 3-5gph. I still need to get extended tubing for the filter and the output nib as well as the self tapping clamp to connect to the cold water line. Where does the pressure regulator attach to? get one?

danfong88

with an autodrip, you should check the water parameters once in while incase there incase there is spike in the ph?
Yes, 25% water change week is the best !!!

hustler

as far as i understand you just put it inline between the tap and the filter? but i could not find one at the hydro store or home depot, only one i could find was in a gardening kit and i would have to buy the whole set up just for it. It seems to work fine with just the ball valves 1/4 open but like i said a 1gph nipple gives 2.5gph lol so i dont know if thats where the regulator would fix that?

hustler

Also like dan fong said.... my water company has daily online readouts as well as charts for monthly changes and its all within limits out here anyways but it would be good to call and check out for sure

chen88

Super Moderator
well....tired as hell...set up auto drip, changed media and did drainage...just waiting for the level in sump to reach level where it will drain....not sure how much GPH it's going to be but it's a slow run right now...I'll figure things out tomorrow as i'm too damn tired to sit and measure gph....even if i can do it in 5 mins...lol. Happy with set up...I'll grab pics later too...