Fin trim operation

Cimmel1

Today I got up the nerve to finally trim the fin on my aro. The front ray on my aros anal fin was always seperated from the day I bought it. After lots of research and the fact that transmore and similar products are prohibited in Canada I decided to use the clove oil method. Instead of diluting the clove oil in ethanol I found that it can be just as easily diluted in warm water. After about a minute the fish was out cold. I lifted the fish out and onto a styro lid where I quickly performed the procedure and returned it to the tank. It took a couple minutes but the fish recovered very well and is swimming around seemingly unaffected by the procedure. Heres a couple pics , I apologize for the poor quality, I was extremely nervous and pics weren't exactly priority at the time.
DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

carcrazy

That took some courage! Congrats on the result. How did you know how much to dilute the clove oil for the aro?

Joey

Looks like a great job. Did you treat the main tank with clove oil, or did you move the aro to a smaller tank and do it there? what amount did you use?

Cimmel1

LOL thanks everyone. I was very nervous to try this. I took a recommended dosage of 2ml per 5l and predissolved in a mason jar with some warm water. I then carefully coaxed the aro into a large fish bag. I lifted the bag out, careful to leave approx 5l of water in the bag. I then placed the bag in a small styro box where I slowly added the clove oil mix and monitored the aro very closely. After a minute or so the aro turned upside down and was removed for the procedure.

Cimmel1

I picked up the clove oil from shoppers drug mart (life brand). I found the best tool in my circumstances was a sharp pair of scissors. I actually only made one cut across the first 2 rays then tore the fin outwards along the third ray.

aro7

how long before and after the operation did you feed your arowana?

did you have to starve him a few days before putting him out? and how long after did he start eating again?

aro7

cimmel1?

did you have to starve him a few days before putting him out? and how long after did he start eating again?

Cimmel1

cimmel1?

I just didn't feed him the night before. Although I wouldn't recommend feeding the same day as the procedure, mine ate a couple hours after returning to his tank.