fish tank size for a RTG

charlesiao

Hi,guys, i just bought a 150 gallon fish tank recently (5*2*2) and thinking of keeping a RTG, so i am just wondering is this tank too small for a full grown asian arowana? if yes,than how long can this fish tank last for the fish before i have to upgrade to a bigger tank? thanks for looking

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Yes, its too small for a full grown asian aro, imo. You're good until it hits the 14-15" range. Minimum for an asian would be 180, again imo.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks for asking, I was pondering this today too. Now will an 8' x 3' x 2' be too big?

Not at all. I have one of my asians in a tank that size. After moving him into the 360 from the 180, he was a much more impressive fish. He swims more powerfully, he uses the whole tank and is much more vibrant.

AroNoob

Thanks, I was first thinking of a bigger tank (~700 gallon) and an aro community but the more I read the less confidence I had in a peaceful community. So I think I am going to go with a higher quality fish in a comfortable set up.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I would think a classic 180 gallon (6 X 2 X 2) would be a good minimum for an adult RTG; I think a 150 gallon (5X2X2) is good for a fish longer than 16 inches though; I would say it is good for a fish up to 20 inches. Oh, did I happen to mention I have a nice 150 gallon tank for sale? No conflict of interest here, I promise! :)

peacockbass

in asia they keep aros in 4x2x2...due to size restrictions in homes/apts....that would be min size....just don't pump the fish into a monster....135 is the smallest i would ever consider for aros...180s are ideal...but not many ppls have the luxury of space to house a big tank....

hustler

The best looking aro I have ever seen was a 10 year old super red that lived his whole life in a 230 gallon, 6x2 footprint...... He was HUGE and PERFECT..... Long barbels, no drop eye Big fins, amazing posture and active for an old bugger..... Thats my 2 bits :)

AroNoob

The best looking aro I have ever seen was a 10 year old super red that lived his whole life in a 230 gallon, 6x2 footprint...... He was HUGE and PERFECT..... Long barbels, no drop eye Big fins, amazing posture and active for an old bugger..... Thats my 2 bits :)

So no grow up tank? I am now planning to go with a 360 gallon, I think it'll look pretty funny with an 8" arowana swimming by it's lonesome. I was thinking of going with a 230 gallon but when I showed my wife some examples of 230s with adult aros, she thought they looked too cramped and said I should make it bigger. She actually told me to make it the whole length of the wall in my future fish room, which would be 12'....yikes.

mareshow

Banned
So no grow up tank? I am now planning to go with a 360 gallon, I think it'll look pretty funny with an 8" arowana swimming by it's lonesome. I was thinking of going with a 230 gallon but when I showed my wife some examples of 230s with adult aros, she thought they looked too cramped and said I should make it bigger. She actually told me to make it the whole length of the wall in my future fish room, which would be 12'....yikes.

i think i speak for all of us when i say, IF YOUR WIFE WANTS IT BIG DO IT!!! the number one tank size restriction is usually the significant other so if she wants a 12' tank do it! go 3' wide though and i'd do at least 30" tall but thats just me ^^

m_class2g

Sponsor
i have a 210. 6 long and 2 wide but just higher than a 180. its too small. my rtg is 7 years old and he has a hard time turning. 6x2.5x2 would be ideal i think.

AroNoob

i think i speak for all of us when i say, IF YOUR WIFE WANTS IT BIG DO IT!!! the number one tank size restriction is usually the significant other so if she wants a 12' tank do it! go 3' wide though and i'd do at least 30" tall but thats just me ^^

LOL....I guess I should but I think that will be more than I need. I was already planning for 36" wide but only 24" tall. I'm worried about being able to reach and clean the tank.

mareshow

Banned
trust me on this, you can never have a big enough tank. as for height the 30" height is way better my tank is 24" high and i wish i would have gone for the 30"

chen88

Super Moderator
LOL....I guess I should but I think that will be more than I need. I was already planning for 36" wide but only 24" tall. I'm worried about being able to reach and clean the tank.

Cleaning is easy if you have the right filtration and waterflow!...I don't ever clean the bottom of my tank being barebottom...I just wipe the sides once a week...so go big if you can..

carcrazy

I also like the taller tank. You can always get some rays for the bottom to go along with the aro at top. A 12' tank, wow! That would be great!