Hybrids, wanted or not?

skynoch

I've seen a few of the members on the site have hybrid rays while others stay with pure strains. I was just wondering if the members who have hybrids could post some pics and also the people who keep pure strains is it a preference, no hybrids are available where you live, you've never seen one you liked, or you don't really know whats available for hybrids?
There is no right or wrong answer just wondering everyones thoughts on this since there seems to be some new suppliers of rays in Canada and maybe this can give them some more insight to what is most sought after.

m_class2g

Sponsor
ive always liked hybrid rays. something different. one of a kind ray but also like pure bds!!! i got my hybrids from the states. none in BC since no one really breeds rays over here.

actually honda 3000 has just recently bred his motoro and laticep ray. so this is the first as far as i know.

heres my past and present hybrid. i regret selling my henlei x marble and my bd x leo.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
I kinda of like pure or as pure as you can get from WC's since you never really know in the wild...

tman

Super Moderator
I like pure strains and hybrids. I haven't seen any black hybrids locally but hopefully I will be able to produce some when my male matures. Here is two of my five different motoro hybrids, classic leos and Scott's Castexi (crosses..can't remember the parents...can you help out Scott?) Plus I have a pure male Castexi. So I have 6 hybrids,6 pure strain!

Attachments

• mini-IMG_0019.JPG
    mini-IMG_0019.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 490
  • mini-IMG_0055.jpg
    mini-IMG_0055.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 480
  • mini-IMG_0058.jpg
    mini-IMG_0058.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 491
  • mini-IMG_0002.jpg
    mini-IMG_0002.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:

skynoch

lets see some pics of your hybrids!!
I've been pretty lazy lately and haven't jumped in the big tank to clean the window for awhile so it's pretty messy. I guess it's time to do so and snap some pics.
And I think that henlie x marble was a great looking ray and am mad at myself alot for not picking it up when you sold it.
I like pure strains and hybrids. I haven't seen any black hybrids locally but hopefully I will be able to produce some when my male matures. Here is two of my five different motoro hybrids, classic leos and Scott's Castexi (crosses..can't remember the parents...can you help out Scott?) Plus I have a pure male Castexi. So I have 6 hybrids,6 pure strain!
It's almost tme for you to start on your own big tank buld with that many rays. Your castexi parents where otorongo and wat some call peru flower or star. I'm not sure as alot of castexi come in with all types of patterns and are given all types of names.

Matt I'm really surprised you didn't like the leo x flower as I thought it looked incredible.
I've only started to get into the hybrids since a year and half ago and I'm finding more and more patterns that just wow me an I imagine it will only get better with the hobby increasing so rapidly. The great thing is the unique pattern which also sucks beause you may never get two the same. Out of al the rays I have my pearl x marble may be my fav.

m_class2g

Sponsor
all rays are nice imo.

some hybrids are just stunning though.

scott, yea she would have made some pretty nice pups for you! i sold her to my friend so i always get to see her still. maybe he'll sell her back one day hahaha.

skynoch

Scott i do like those very impressive hybrids just some mixes are wrong.Tiger x leo is like mixing a poodle with a german shepherd.

myself right now i am trying to get my black henlei and blackdiamond breeding.they are starting to show interest chasing and nipping,the female seems to be a little out of it still.she is probably 2 1/2 years old and the male is probably 3 years.they are both 18" +

but i dont have any sucess yet maybe the tank they are in is a bit too busy.

let me in on your secrets i am jelous reading about you having pups all the time.now tims p14s too,it really seems like ray breeding and keeping is picking up big time in canada
lol, I'm not sure it's quite the same thing but all the issues are a complete new thread if ya wanted to fire it up.:)
The busy tank could be a problem if the dominant male is keeping the other males from breeding but usually if a male wants to breed he will find away.
Man I'm having the oppisite problem as you and I'm trying to find a way to mix my rays so they don't want to breed. I do have a male or two that I want to get breeding but I don't have enough tanks to get them alone with some other females and really start working the love connection.
all rays are nice imo.

some hybrids are just stunning though.

scott, yea she would have made some pretty nice pups for you! i sold her to my friend so i always get to see her still. maybe he'll sell her back one day hahaha.
Unless I was getting out of the hobby I think I would be selfish with that one.lol

kookus

@ MClass... maybe... ahahhaa shes an awesome ray. Hopefully she will have pups with my royal and i can give you one of those.

skynoch

i have a nice female henlei with bite marks all over her back only possiblity is from my Black diamond male.i noticed today very uneven lumps on her back,she eats alot, and at night time i was hearing some crazy shit going on in that tank.

scott will the male leave the female alone after he knocks her up???i noticed for a while lots of bite marks,he wouldnt leave her side ever.now their is not so many bite marks he doesnt follow her alot .i dont see any movement though but thought that doesnt happen until way later

Matt after the male does his deed he will leave her alone. It will then be a couple days later you will notice her feeding start to go up and about a month to 1 1/2 months you will have noticed her feeding double and you should start to see movement if she holds higher up. Some rays seem to hold lower and in the belly more and it can be harder to see movement on them. Being the idiot I am I never really have kept a journal so I don't know if there is a relation between rays holding higher or lower and the pup outcome. If your ray was pregnant it still may be too soon to know as a imature male will bite at a female and then leave her alone for awhile and then start the procedure over again if this happens to many times your best bet is to seperate the male from the female for awhile. Imature males are usually the guys that cause the most damage.

skynoch

He is for sure mature at 18" and probably 2-3 years old wild caught.his claspers are probably 1 1/2" long. The female is bigger and captive breed probably younger than the male.she never sustained anything bad yet just some small bites and nips.what I meant was he would not leave her side.he was for a long time following her around always.now he doesn't.

This may be my little theory but I would say he is just maturing now. I've found long claspers or physical size don't mean the ray is mature. I believe black rays, tigers and flowers are slower maturing with the males. There may be cases where I've been proven wrong but on the most part this is one of my theories. Most people get a pair of leos and see the males claspers are fully rolled so figure it's the female that isn't mature but stick a mature female motoro in there and nothing, stick a mature male motoro and I bet you will have a prego female leo.

m_class2g

Sponsor
yea leohens are nice.... i hope i can find some during my trip to thailand in a few weeks time. maybe i can get a nice pair of who knows what ray to ship back.