Is Certificate That Important !!! This is how I feel, any one want to comment

arl

I choose from when the shipment first come in and I know that those are not the best in the world. I feel that from each shipment only a few are good quality and the rest is garbage. .

I understand your frustration in not having a quality aro and from your post you're obviously a VERY perfectionist and VERY QUALITY conscious person, that is fine and nothing wrong with that. But for you to address an aro that doesn't fall into YOUR definition of BEAUTIFUL as "GARBAGE"

Last edited:

carcrazy

Is it legal for me to have my aro without the article 10 document? I should ask my lfs if they still have this paper kicking around in a drawer the next time I'm in (but I doubt I'll be successful). If I can't sell my aro without the article 10, how could I trade it in later for a different one at my lfs (not really, I like my aro)? I hear about quite a few people upgrading their aro (so to speak).

T1KARMANN

the law is a funny thing i think it maybe ok for you to sell the aro as a private seller

BUT its not leagle for a shop to sell any aro without it and they should give you the artical 10 when they sell the fish to you

not many shops know about this bit of paper and many of them are braking the law and dont even know it

the artical 10 is also not needed if you have imported the aros yourself for private use

the shops risk being shut down or taken to court if they dont apply for the artical 10

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
As in any other market, it's all about "buyer beware".

Everyone knows the best asian aros and most valuable collectible fish go to japan. All the nicest plats go to japan. No one in Canada/US would pay the prices they pay in japan and so the farms cater to the japanese. Anything left over is b grade to begin with and then you have the brokers who pick the best for their best customers.

It's too bad you feel you got burnt. Sue the LFS in court. Anyone buying another product worth thousands of dollars thinking they got ripped off would sue. Why should this be any different?

str8CHINAmon

As in any other market, it's all about "buyer beware".

Everyone knows the best asian aros and most valuable collectible fish go to japan. All the nicest plats go to japan. No one in Canada/US would pay the prices they pay in japan and so the farms cater to the japanese. Anything left over is b grade to begin with and then you have the brokers who pick the best for their best customers.

It's too bad you feel you got burnt. Sue the LFS in court. Anyone buying another product worth thousands of dollars thinking they got ripped off would sue. Why should this be any different?

I thought about that but I think it would be hard to prove it in court.

Kenta

Administrator
straightchinaman, no one is saying you suck at choosing aros, dont take comments the wrong way.

m_class2g

Sponsor
cert doesnt matter to me. as long as the aro shows good quality then who cares about a piece of paper. farm does matter in a way but you have to look at the actual fish.

sudi817

REPUTABLE LFS your funny Because I don't think that exist. The reputation is protected by law it seem, because anyone that bad mouth a company gets sued for slander. For example if some one say something bad about a LFS in this forum, what happens next. The post gets deleted, then what that person that has the complaint has to personally tell everyone the scam. I bet you that person will just end up sitting there and try to be happy that he just took it up the A.

I understand where you're at in this situation and I definitely know how it is like to be a victim of it but this is just my 2 cents, I still believe that there are still some few reputable LFS out there who is trying to make their costumers happy and make them come back for more and I know of one for sure. If you find that funny, well I find you funny too sice with your comment it looks like you cant trust any LFS anymore. That's your issue and not mine.

Your thread says "Is Certificate That Important?" of course my answer will be YES. Would you buy your ARO from an LFS without it? Maybe for some people here would say yes and I respect that but for me an LFS who does not issue an authentic certificate is questionable even if this is not important for some.

With the humble price I payed for my fish, I learned how to be contented with it even if it's not 98% perfect. It's a bonus for me if it will turn out more beautiful. But if I payed $9,000 and up on a 15 months old Aro, maybe then I can complain....but to myself because at the end of the day, I was'nt forced by anyone and it was still my own decision that made me buy my fish.

By the way just so you know, word of mouth does not only spread on forums like these.... Texting, e-mails and meet-ups are other sources too:D.

h.l_nathan

st8chinamon as for the ferrarri thing look under the hood before you buy...
but not all aros are the same. If you spend enough time caring for your aros then no matter the defects that aro is still yours and there is a special bond between the two of you.
I have a few i think i over paid and some nice ones, but the one that lives with me are the ones with most defects, yet i still love coming home to them.
Nothing in this word is perfect.
If you are looking at some picture and expecting your aro to look exactly like the pickture then wait until they start cloning aros.

GRANDDRAGON

Hi everyone getting back to the the original topic. I think that the cert is very important part of the sale of the fish and its identity. Not everyone out there are pros at choosing, or have the ablility to tell the difference between all the different types of Asian Aros. So this is just sort of proof that your fish is what it is. From a consumers point of view, I would reccommend that everyone who purchases an Asian Arowana make sure that the fish is chipped and accompanied with a certificate of authenticity. How to do this is, when the LFS sell a fish they should also have a scanner to scan your fish to match it with the cert. This protects the buyer and seller if anything should occur legally. If there is any doubt within a certain time frame the buyer should be able to do something within reason. You have to keep in mind not all reds will turn out red, but will turn out some sort of orange (ie. light orange, orange, and deep orange). Keeping all this in mind I do not think you should purchase a fish just for the cert. alone because that is just foolish. Purchases on Asian Arowanas should be purchased on a individuals opinions. You should buy the fish and not the cert. From my experience it does not matter which farm you purchase from. What matters is the quality of the fish.

T1KARMANN

this brings us back to the old story

if you buy a xback and it doesn't cross are you being ripped off and should you be refunded

if you buy a super red and it doesn't turn red are you being ripped off

well yes you are in a way if the cert states xback or super red thats what you should be getting right

if everyone is looking for a aro like they see posted on the net chances are you wont get one as nice

are we getting ripped of yes i think we are in away

the farms have a good way out of this they tell us we must give the aro more time to develop with reds this is a long time maybe even 5-7yrs how many people will demand a refund for a fish they have cared for for 5-7yrs by this time the aro is part of the family

even if you buy a xback with full crossing at a size of 7inch their is no guarantee the shine level will stay when the aro is put into your tank as most xback now are put into white tanks to ingress the shine level which fades after 2 months of being in non white tank

aros also display great color and shine as they are not fed like they are when we get them home less food = more color of gold intercity

are we getting ripped of yes we are in a way as the farms have made the aros better than they are before sale BUT don't most shops dress things up to look great so we buy them

xbackgolden

this brings us back to the old story

if you buy a xback and it doesn't cross are you being ripped off and should you be refunded

if you buy a super red and it doesn't turn red are you being ripped off

well yes you are in a way if the cert states xback or super red thats what you should be getting right

if everyone is looking for a aro like they see posted on the net chances are you wont get one as nice

are we getting ripped of yes i think we are in away

the farms have a good way out of this they tell us we must give the aro more time to develop with reds this is a long time maybe even 5-7yrs how many people will demand a refund for a fish they have cared for for 5-7yrs by this time the aro is part of the family

even if you buy a xback with full crossing at a size of 7inch their is no guarantee the shine level will stay when the aro is put into your tank as most xback now are put into white tanks to ingress the shine level which fades after 2 months of being in non white tank

aros also display great color and shine as they are not fed like they are when we get them home less food = more color of gold intercity

are we getting ripped of yes we are in a way as the farms have made the aros better than they are before sale BUT don't most shops dress things up to look great so we buy them

Hi folks, Haven been around in a while. Just happened to browse around saw this interesting thread.

It has always been my interest in understanding the hobbyist point of view when it comes to arowana selection and care. As a hobbyist turned breeder of arowanas, I have managed to sit on both sides of the fence, one as newbie hobbyist and the other as good friends, customer and even supplier of arowanas to the farms.

My knowledge only lies with gold arowanas so I will not comment on the reds as i think most of you will laugh at me after you see my reds which grew so big and fat but ddn't develop any color.

I would say that, now compeition is becoming more keen in the arowana industry and as export customers, its quite rare that you will be recieving fishes which are of substandard quality. (after all you guys are gonna pay more for the fish unlike most bargain hunting singaporeans who are always looking for the cheap deal). However, considering that your arowana market is not tightly regulated in like Singapore(Only Fish shops and registered arowana fars in Singapore with valid licenses pending inspections by our local authority are allowed to import dragonfish). Many inspiring hobbyist turned entreprenuers (not sure with how much fish knowledge) will look for the best deal they can get on the Net and import the fishes from any cities registered farm with a website. So there is very little quality control as some farms are known to mix fishes in a order, like for 100 reds u buy at much lower price, they will throw in some RTGs to make up the 100 pieces.

Most of the farms at least locally have been doing business with your Canadian counterparts for as much as a decade. Hence, with the long term business relationships, there will be minimum risk of such incidents occuring where the Cross back doesn't have pearlies (crossing is another thing all together) and Reds which don't turn red (A large portion of it depends on external variables coz not all red arowanas will turn blood red). Although in return these importers many of whom will actually fly down to Singapore to select their fishes will charge much higher prices to the Canadian consumer. But then again, keeping this fishes is considered a luxury Item, like most people who are willing to buy 40 K USD koi won't compliant about the price. In return for value for money or a bargain, that is the trade off you pay.