My very first motoro stingrays!

Red Samurai

emdonton395.jpg

emdonton386.jpg

emdonton391.jpg

emdonton385.jpg

hondas3000

lol, your first and you get yourself a nice marble :). Why 1? get a pair so they can breed. Good luck with feeding them though, they quite picky.

Red Samurai

Look nice, are they from Charles ...:)

What are you feeding them ?
Thanks James!
They are not from Charles but, he did have a nice picture of one on his site Canadian Aquatics that made me want to get one!
This one is from a LFS here in Winnipeg and she is eating prawns and worms! Do you have any other suggestions?

lol, your first and you get yourself a nice marble :). Why 1? get a pair so they can breed. Good luck with feeding them though, they quite picky.

Thanks hondas3000, I did get a pair. I just brought home the female because she was eating like a pig with both prawns and worms as you say they are picky eaters and the male was just eating worms so he stayed behind. My LFS wanted to make sure they were both on at least 2 types of food and fatten them up for me before I took them home as he wanted my first experience with rays to be good:)

hondas3000

Thanks hondas3000, I did get a pair. I just brought home the female because she was eating like a pig with both prawns and worms as you say they are picky eaters and the male was just eating worms so he stayed behind. My LFS wanted to make sure they were both on at least 2 types of food and fatten them up for me before I took them home as he wanted my first experience with rays to be good:)

Wow that is a good LFS you have there. As you know, if these are wild caught then having them on MP will take a long time, and depend how long they were worms but still a lot of work and patient involve.

carcrazy

Did you buy them from Ewing? Very nice rays. I was going to buy a female marble just like that from him that he said he was fattening up for me but he says it turned out to be a male and that he would have to order some more in. If you have two, I hope they become a mating pair, it is very cool to have baby rays!

Red Samurai

Did you buy them from Ewing? Very nice rays. I was going to buy a female marble just like that from him that he said he was fattening up for me but he says it turned out to be a male and that he would have to order some more in. If you have two, I hope they become a mating pair, it is very cool to have baby rays!

Yes they are from Ewing. He told me about your female that turned out to be a male, thats just to bad it looked nice too!
I hope my pair become as prolific as yours Albert!

Eddio

How big of a tank would you need to breed rays? Sounds like a cool thing to do :D, I might research more into it.

m_class2g

Sponsor
its been done in smaller tanks. 150 +. all you need is good filtration and feed them lots. let them do the rest. =) ive never bred rays but my buddys done it in a 135 before. rays were around 10-12 inches each. 1 male and 2 females.

carcrazy

My tank is 72 x 34 x 32h = 318 g plus a 60g sump. For extra filtration I use a Rena XP3 canister filter and an UltimaII 1000 pond filter (rated for 1000g). You can never have too much filtration as rays are messy eaters and make a lot of waste. It is also good to have backups in case of equipment failure as I did have my sump burst once :)eek:). In addition, I do 30% water changes twice a week.

I feed the two rays and two peacock bass twice a day with about 12 shrimp each time. The rays have bred twice and she looks to be preggers again.:rolleyes:

chen88

Super Moderator
nice..sounds like your lfs knows rays...most importers always like to make sure rays eats at least 2 types of local food before they send out...