New BD Pup batch Jan 29/14

chen88

Super Moderator
got call from kids that BD Mom gave birth..its been captured on my dropcam so i'll get that uploaded later but it all happen at 4:16pm....4 pups, one dead upon birth, the 3 other seems to be doing well...just removed and loaded them into sump. All 3 remaining appears to be all males...all approx. 4" all 3 boys has join big sister in sump...

Big sister at 3 months old in sump with

Video of Live Birth (Sorry for glare since it's during the daylight....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxyQGC34zzs

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
I have a very small t5 light that's on all the time enough to see a bit. there are some glare off the tank with the drop cam since it was 4:16pm I'm trying to upload the mov now...

chen88

Super Moderator
Going to keep them separated for a week or two before going back into new tank....I guess must give some time out before they go again...i'm hoping the other female that gave birth last oct and has been with the male since Oct has done some nasties and is prego...only wish i guess to have a 90day cycle every 90-120day cycle...only would be a dream team! :)

Probably will be putting up one or two of these pups up for sale in a month or so....... F1 Pups...these guys as well as the girls all came out with very symmetrical and round spotting...mom's are all Big Spot BD's and Dad's a TI...so hopefully great genes.

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Fantastic Chen and congratulations! You might consider keeping a bit of a diary. I think you could do a full write up to accompany your photos which you could get published (Practical Fishkeeping, TFH) if so inclined. :)

chen88

Super Moderator
Thanks all, now I just have to get all 4 pups to be feeding well before I head away for 5 days in late May since it'll be my kids that will be feeding them...all the stresses starts up again! lol

tman

Super Moderator
Thanks all, now I just have to get all 4 pups to be feeding well before I head away for 5 days in late May since it'll be my kids that will be feeding them...all the stresses starts up again! lol

Long ways away so it shouldn't be a problem. Mine was eating pellets within the week. Now he is eating carnivore,broken up massivore and hikari gold sinking.

Last edited:

exoticaquaria

Chen, congrats! Looking very good! I'm sure they will be fine by then. After a month, captive bred pups are usually quite stable already!

So when are you setting up another tank for them!? lol

chen88

Super Moderator
Lol. I was thinking about another tank. Lol. Sigh. I'm not sure if I'll end up keeping all of them. Another tank is a problem ! Space problem. :)

kimrocks

Lol. I was thinking about another tank. Lol. Sigh. I'm not sure if I'll end up keeping all of them. Another tank is a problem ! Space problem. :)

Congrats!

Considering that you are experiencing what most of us could only dream of - Top Quality Stingray Pups popping out like Rabbits - : ) - these are good issues/stresses to have!

chen88

Super Moderator
Long ways away so it shouldn't be a problem. Mine was eating pellets within the week. Now he is eating carnivore,broken up massivore and hikari gold sinking.

Yeah...I'm still trying to get my 3 month female to take pellets...hope she gets on it soon.

Congrats!

Considering that you are experiencing what most of us could only dream of - Top Quality Stingray Pups popping out like Rabbits - : ) - these are good issues/stresses to have!

Yeah...I know...I know..I've only been waiting for this stress for 4-5years.. :)

chen88

Super Moderator
Yeah...my female pup won't touch the massivore even crunched up and I didn't want to starve them at the beginning. Maybe I'll try the 3 new pups to see if they will take them.