I seeded my K1 by cleaning my entire filter, but not changing the water out of it. This uprooted a lot of Mulm from around the filter which eventually passed over the K1 media. I made it a point not to clean my filter for some time, for this purpose. Basically, i filled my filter completely with tank water, and swished all the bio balls around until the water was brown.
My filter was fully cycled prior to the addition of the K1 to it.
From there, leading up to the filter being made, i slowly cut back on my feeding. Currently have it at once every second day, and very small amounts. My rays are nice and fat so they are easily dealing with it.
So with my Bio load being lowered, and the K1 seeded, i started removing bio balls from the filter every day, until i had nothing but K1 left in the filter, and the pre-filter sponges.
I am still feeding very little, and doing by-daily water changes of 50%.
I would do daily, as i still risk a mini cycle, but i am allowing some ammonia to stay in the tank for a short while to help colonize the bacteria. Ammonia test kits are not picking any up, but i know its there. Fish in the tank are not acting different at all....
I have a video uploading now. I will post that soon.
My videos are now a week or so behind where the filter is actually at, but you can still follow along. I wont ruin what the filter has now become, but stay tuned to find out.