New filter design

Joey

K1 came in.... very small pieces, just like you said RD. Thanks for the heads up!

That link you provided skynoch, would have flow rates based on that model of bio reactor. I don't see any mention of K1 in it.... Kaldnes rates K1 at 2200gph for 50L if used in their filter. But that is a specific way that the water will pass over the media..

i'll be passing the same amount of water, threw a much larger area. In turn, this actually provides longer contact time then kaldnes says it needs.

This is a new area of filtration for myself, so it will be a fun test.. all input appreciated.

I'll have some updates on it soon.

Joey

K1 came in.... very small pieces, just like you said RD. Thanks for the heads up!

That link you provided skynoch, would have flow rates based on that model of bio reactor. I don't see any mention of K1 in it.... Kaldnes rates K1 at 2200gph for 50L if used in their filter. But that is a specific way that the water will pass over the media..

i'll be passing the same amount of water, threw a much larger area. In turn, this actually provides longer contact time then kaldnes says it needs.

This is a new area of filtration for myself, so it will be a fun test.. all input appreciated.

I'll have some updates on it soon.

Joey

I tried a few things with the media...

I don't think i have enough room in the chamber where the media needs to go....... Its packed in there so tight, that my pumps barely move it. Only the bottom layer will fluidize somewhat... I tryed pumps that were 500,700, and 1100 gph. Not having much luck with it...

If this is the case, and i cannot get this to work properly, I will redesign the filter and just make the entire filter a fluidized bed...

My only worries, is cycling the K1 if i do that...

Any ideas??????

brian

Hey Motoro....im new with the K1 as well, however ive been reading alot about it, they say it takes time to get the k1 cycled and fluidized....so u gotta start with very little in the filter, and slowly add some more and more......

Joey

I'll have an update today sometime

I didnt have any issues with cycling it, as i did it while it was static. Cycled just like bio balls.. but i seeded it.

I noticed a huge difference in the way it acts in the water once it had some bacteria on it

Last edited:

skynoch

It is kaldness in the bio reactors but can't remember where I found that info. How did you end up seeding your k1.
It took a few days in the bio-reactor to act different and actually start to go in more of a suspened state than a floating state which I'm guessing was the bacteria starting to colonize.
I'm liking where your posts are going as you allways have a good scientific reason behind things where I'm more of a look that's neat guy.

Joey

I seeded my K1 by cleaning my entire filter, but not changing the water out of it. This uprooted a lot of Mulm from around the filter which eventually passed over the K1 media. I made it a point not to clean my filter for some time, for this purpose. Basically, i filled my filter completely with tank water, and swished all the bio balls around until the water was brown.

My filter was fully cycled prior to the addition of the K1 to it.

From there, leading up to the filter being made, i slowly cut back on my feeding. Currently have it at once every second day, and very small amounts. My rays are nice and fat so they are easily dealing with it.

So with my Bio load being lowered, and the K1 seeded, i started removing bio balls from the filter every day, until i had nothing but K1 left in the filter, and the pre-filter sponges.

I am still feeding very little, and doing by-daily water changes of 50%.

I would do daily, as i still risk a mini cycle, but i am allowing some ammonia to stay in the tank for a short while to help colonize the bacteria. Ammonia test kits are not picking any up, but i know its there. Fish in the tank are not acting different at all....

I have a video uploading now. I will post that soon.

My videos are now a week or so behind where the filter is actually at, but you can still follow along. I wont ruin what the filter has now become, but stay tuned to find out.

Joey

Missing from the videos:

I originally floated the K1 in media bags to start cycling them, and at the same time removing bio balls from the tower every day.

from there, i moved the bioballs to the "fluidized chamber" and the K1 to the tower.

This is when i cleaned the bio balls, by filling the sump with tank water and circulating the balls in it with my hand, to know off any mulm still on them. This made a nice brown water to help seed the K1.

Finally, once all the bio balls were removed as the days passed, i had it set up, like you see in video 8.

Joey

Quick video of the actual media....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkFChJ8Y-H0"]YouTube - K1 Kaldnes media[/ame]

Joey

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRojMCrM2-4"]YouTube - DIY Aquarium Filter Part 10[/ame]

Joey

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXHU-NqPQGI"]YouTube - DIY Aquarium Filter FINAL[/ame]

b-man

nice, just got a quick question. for the air tubing in the K1 compartment, did you just make them yourself or were they store bought?

b-man

thanks, do you remember what it is called? or do you have a pic of the box? i've been looking for such a product. the poking holes in tubing yourself never works out good :p

magic aro

Thank you for sharing this process! I'm building a sump and will be implementing your design elements on my new sump. I'll add one compartment between the drain and K1 baffles for seeding which I'll use later for mechanical filtration.