New project! Help appreciated.

Predation

So,

I'm looking into buying a Marineland Deep Dimensions 250 Gallon (36"x60"x27") for a new home for my quickly growing fishes. Im 99.9% sure i'll be getting the tank, but I'm not very familiar with plumbing a tank of this size. I need help figuring out a proper filtration system. I have a 55gallon that is sitting empty that i can use as a sump, and I'm fairly handy, but I've never built one before. I'm not really putting a budget on this project yet though, so any ideas are appreciated. I mostly need tips on plumbing, and sump ideas for a 250. Would a single Proflex series 4 do the job?

Im in SW ontario, if anyone wants to help me out on this project?

Dis

Why not get the 300 dd? You should be able to use to 55 gallon for it. There is alot of the Internet for DIY sumps.

Predation

At the store I'm looking to buy from the 300DD is currently unavailable, but there is a sale on the other sizes, otherwise I would obviously want the 300DD.

Predation

Yes, I got it drilled w/ corner-flo's. Should I use one large water pump or two small ones? One per return output?

Predation

Tank has arrived in Canada. Should be coming to my house in 2 weeks. Would have probably been a week from monday had it not been a holiday. I've decided to build a 75 gallon sump. Im going to run K1 int he main chamber, any advice on keeping nitrates down? products that are good, easy to find?

Dis

The k1 should be a really good bio media. Are you going to have a filter sock? Regilar water changes keep the nitrates down

Predation

The tank has arrived. it doesn't look like a 75 gallon will fit in the stand, so I'm back to using the old 55 that i have as a sump. I'll probably add another 55 gallon later, side by side, as the fish grow.

Predation

So this weekend I'm going to be building the sump. I've got all the pieces except the baffles. Is there somewhere that glass is easy to acquire for cheap? Or will acrylic hold up?

Dis

I know you can have any glass shop cut the pieces you need. Not sure if acrylic would be better or cheaper unless you have it on hand

Predation

Tank.jpg

Sump1.jpg

Sump2.jpg

Sump3.jpg

First pic is of the tank.

Second pic os of the sump being tested

Third is the drain section. I have a 7x17" filter sock, a 300w heater and for now a powerhead for a little bit of flow and some seeding material. Im eventually going to be adding more biomax, maybe some Purigen, and an airstone or two. you can see in the second section i have some K1 that is cycling. I have two sicce voyager circulation pumps moving the K1 around.

Fourth is the return section. I have two Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 pumps.

Still working out some kinks, but I'm basically done. I need to secure the drain hose somehow. I'm thinking about attaching it it to the underside of the top of the stand.