New Tank Setup

chen88

Super Moderator
Ok...so I'm going to start to document the arrival of my new tank...bare with me as I might forget to include some steps along the way. The new tank is on route to Warren Michigan and should be arriving to Toronto on Jan 6th.

Structural Support Installation:

(2) steel jack post purchased from home depot with 3' L beam for $180 all in!

L beam carries load of 4 joist, with jack post able to support up to 8,000 lbs each!...over kill as one post and L beam is sufficient to be placed directly underneath tank but I'd already purchase 2 so what the hell.....here's what I put in today with a help from a buddy...took all of 10 mins each to get them plumb.....

I added a 2x4 as a floor plate so the post seats on it rather then directly on my ceramic tile. The span of my floor joist from the exterior foundation wall to the center beam is 10ft....so these two installed joist and L Beam breaks the span of 10ft to 3 equal section of 3ft....MORE then enough to hold a few tanks! :) It's my luck that the room directly beneath the tank is a storage closet so it's hidden away and no one runs into the posts.

IMG_0373_1.jpg

IMG_0374_1.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

chen88

Super Moderator
I was thinking of using this room as a sump room since the tank is directly above but need storage space since the house is small so couldn't do much with this room...look like the tank is coming in from Detroit side....and on schedule...need to visit customs either Monday or Tuesday to pay GST and get the tank cleared...

Boydo

Looks good and great idea for using the lower room as the " mechanical room". Should keep alot of the noises to a minimum while veiwing the tank. A couple things to consider, if you use the lower room you will require much larger pumps to over come the hydrostatic head. And build a defuser on the return to the sump to reduce velocity and noise. Looking forward to see this project completed.

chen88

Super Moderator
nah...not going to use the space below as a mech room for the tank. The sump is going to be under the tank but same floor...not too concern about the noise...I will be looking at potentially insulating the inside of the cabinet to quiet it a bit...might just take some batt insulation with poly and staple/tape them to the inside of the cabinet and doors....

m_class2g

Sponsor
yea thats a good idea. not too fun if the tank is loud. especially in the living room lol. are you custom making the sump as well or went with a ready made from tenecor?

what are you willing it with?

chen88

Super Moderator
Tenecor sump at 5ft, going to fill with the media from my fx5 and eheim pro 3 for the time so that the bacteria is transferred over. This will allow me to transfer the fish to the new tank faster. Eventually when it becomes available, I'd be looking at bakki bacteria house media.

Boydo

You could also glue stirofoam insulation to the inside panels instead of insul batts.

chen88

Super Moderator
fyi...my floor joist span as mentioned is approx. 10ft from exterior wall to center beam so I spaced the two post approx. 3ft apart so breaking the space into 3ft sections or thereabouts.

chen88

Super Moderator
typical basement slab is around 4-6" and being around the perimeter you get the added strength of the footings. A buddy of mine who's an Architect for Matamy Homes was also at my place and thought that I didn't actually need any support never mind 2 of them!...but I didn't want to take any risk...

In addition, the basement is covered with Ceramic tiles which sits on an inch of concrete with wire mesh topping.....

chen88

Super Moderator
Jan 4th Update:

Got a call from Ann Arbor Michigan this morning...Tank has arrived at their facility as it goes from trailer to trailer along the way...no reports of any damages and is expected to be leaving today towards Detroit for tomorrow and then to Mississauga for Wednesday. I'm heading to the Customs Brokers tomorrow and then to clear the tank with Canada Customs tomorrow morning. The freight company has told me if it's clear, once it arrives at their terminal, it usually gets delivered within the same day if latest the next day..so hope I get everything cleared tomorrow!..

chen88

Super Moderator
Wow....Tank's already arrived into Windsor as of 2pm today.......wow....so it's already pass the border!...hope I get this cleared tomorrow!....its getting so close...I'm like tracking the shipment every hour! LOL

chen88

Super Moderator
Tank's arrived to Mississauga early this morning. Looks like if I get customs clearance it could be delivered as early as today however I have Jury Interview and hope I don't get selected so I can't accept delivery today...hope to get it tomorrow!

chen88

Super Moderator
Custom clearance done with no inspection, just pay gst. Delivery scheduled for tomorrow early afternoon. Woot