night crawlers, arowana, and stingrays

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Since adding my motos to my 360, the RTG has been picking them off the tongs before I can get them down to the rays. Are they bad for aros to eat? I have yet to see anyone include nightcrawlers as part of their aro's diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

chen88

Super Moderator
I don't think they are bad for Aros....just bad for the rays that they can't get to them before your RTG...LOL....

m_class2g

Sponsor
hey gerry, use a pvc pipe when you feed the rays. in my 210, i just got a ray and tankmates are rtg, st, indo tiger, ngt and ff. all eat prawn. so i use the pvc pipe to get food down and spot feed my ray. everytime my ray sees that pipe, he comes right at it. there was no way at all that she could get any good with those monsters in my tank. try it. works for me.

also, i had a red aro with 2 marbles before. didnt do the pvc thing and my red would always eat the worms. ive had no health issues. red ate a ton of it too.

chen88

Super Moderator
great idea M....I know when I use the tongs to get the MP's to the rays before...the IT's, parrots, Aro and Tig would all fight for the MP and chase it all over the tank...I just got rid of most of the tankmates :) . But the PVC is a good idea...

m_class2g

Sponsor
100% works. ive tried tongs before. food always get taken. pvc works well for rays cuz there is 0 chance for anything to grab whatever is in there. just cut to the height of your tank and a bit extra to grab the pipe out of the water. your hand wont even get wet by using this technique.

m_class2g

Sponsor
usually people dont like keeping rays with aros cuz they can barely get food down to the rays. use this pvc technique and never have to worry again. =)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Great idea Mike, will definitely remember that one.

As for night crawlers being bad for the fish, just make sure that their source is okay. A while back in Vancouver there was a fellow who used nightcrawlers purchased from a corner gas store. He ended up losing some very expensive birchirs. Turned out the dirt that the night crawlers was in had a petroleum smell to it. Opinion was that the worms may have been contaminated by petroleum products which then harmed the fish.

Where are you getting your nightcrawlers Gerry?

Mike, have you been out to Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond? He will sell big night crawlers at discount by the 100's if you ask.

In addition to nightcrawlers, I have been using "red wrigglers" for a while now. They are the smaller red earth worms you get if you have an outdoor compost system. The nice thing about using these is I know exactly what they have been feeding on. :)

EEYY

My ray can come up eating arowana food sticks along with the arowana. :)

Someone even told me that his rays can take Koi floating-type pellets all the time. But it takes time to do that.

Last edited:

m_class2g

Sponsor
theo. thats exactly where i get my canadian nightcrawlers from. pretty cheap and really close to my place. one time they asked why i was buying so many worms lol. told them i was feeding stingrays.

hondas3000

My ray can come up eating arowana food sticks along with the arowana. :)

Someone even told me that his rays can take Koi floating-type pellets all the time. But it takes time to do that.

I get my ray to do the same but then I don't like to see my ray come up for food as it will scare my aro and always push my aro to the side.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Hell of a good idea with the PVC tube. :)

Theo, I get the worms from the LFS and I use additive-free potting soil for them. I'm glad he should be okay with them. He has gotten picky about food lately and will only eat superworms.

Getting food down past the aro, the dats and the 2 big stomachs aka peacock bass will be much easier with a tube. :) Thanks for the idea.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Worked like a charm. ;)

Was able to feed each ray 3 crawlers without any of the other "stomachs with fins" figuring out what was going on. Beautiful!

m_class2g

Sponsor
=) enjoy. i cant believe i didnt think about this earlier on. thats why i was holding off on rays for some time is because its hard to feed with aros and other monster fish in the same tank.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I am going to sticky this thread - change title to "Night crawlers, arowana and stingray"

A thread like this is ultimately what this whole web site should be about. Innovation - knowledge - community. :)

Last edited: