Okay, BANGKOK EXPRESS taking on passengers! :)

m_class2g

Sponsor
oops sorry theo. your right. i was all happy and caught up with the moment, i didnt even think about it. ill delete my post asap.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
No problem Mike. I actually think it is awesome that you, me, and H.L.Nathan are all trying to source the same fish at the same time. One of us bound to have luck and thus help out our little community of Dat. heads here in Canada! :D

More news for you all - today I met with the owner of Thailand's largest tropical fish exporter. D.pulcher is still available on the local market (as I thought), just not for export. The fish are all sourced from Cambodia and Vietnam now. Apparently the Cambodian ones are of better quality than the Vietnamese ones. Cambodia lacks transportation infrastructure so only way their fish make it to market is if they are transported across border. If the pulchers come to Thailand then it is for the local market. If they go overland to Vietnam they can then be exported legally from there.

Until a few years ago the Thai fisheries guys at the airport didn't know the difference between the Datnoides; now they do. No reputable farm or exporter I know of here will try to export them by air out of Thailand.

jackson

What I refer to as CT is Cambodian Tiger. Personally, I like to ID them with their tail pattern, even though it is not that effective. CT, by my standards, are the ones that the last bodystripe bleeds into the tail stripes. So I guess all my Pulchers are CT.

But ST or CT, I don't really mind. As long as they are Pulchers...

The bleeding tail stripe is the true ST. The ones that lack this but have the same spine count and what not are what they call CT's or the ones with more than 3 stripes but have the bleeding tail stripe.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Call me reckless, but I am buying fish in Bangkok right, left, and center - all the while I don't even have a tank of my own up and running right now!

I will have to pay about $350 for shipping to have the fish I buy arrive in Vancouver about a week after I do. That means I will be running around setting up tanks shortly after landing. Hopefull with the help of Kenta and maybe a couple of other aro fans on this board, I will be able to get all the seeded water and filter media and tank space I need.

So what am I buying exactly? Well, I have got a couple Pseudodorus niger cats for myself for $20 each, a neat Red Texas, and another group of 10 small Red Texas for a forum member. These fish are being held for me by two separate retailers here in Bangkok. Within two days I should have 30 Siamese Tigerfish, 10 Cichla Temensis, 10 Polypterus endlicheri, and 3 high end FH (Flower Horn) as well. Those will all be coming from another couple retailers. Luckily I have a retailer here who already exports to China. He is going to be my "point man" and will be coordinating the whole shipment of fish to Vancouver for me. Pretty crazy, huh?

But it doesn't stop there! The drift wood I find here is so friggin' awesome, and the filter media and fish foods such an amazing deal, that I have decided to spend another few hundred bucks on shipping a cubic meter of stuff home. It helps that my wife found some deck furniture since this allows me a good excuse...I mean discount, on the shipping too!

If anyone out there wants to piggy back on this order of mine or wants anything special, send me a pm. Be sure to include your phone number so I can call you up and confirm.

EEYY

Call me reckless, but I am buying fish in Bangkok right, left, and center - all the while I don't even have a tank of my own up and running right now!

I will have to pay about $350 for shipping to have the fish I buy arrive in Vancouver about a week after I do. That means I will be running around setting up tanks shortly after landing. Hopefull with the help of Kenta and maybe a couple of other aro fans on this board, I will be able to get all the seeded water and filter media and tank space I need.

So what am I buying exactly? Well, I have got a couple Pseudodorus niger cats for myself for $20 each, a neat Red Texas, and another group of 10 small Red Texas for a forum member. These fish are being held for me by two separate retailers here in Bangkok. Within two days I should have 30 Siamese Tigerfish, 10 Cichla Temensis, 10 Polypterus endlicheri, and 3 high end FH (Flower Horn) as well. Those will all be coming from another couple retailers. Luckily I have a retailer here who already exports to China. He is going to be my "point man" and will be coordinating the whole shipment of fish to Vancouver for me. Pretty crazy, huh?

But it doesn't stop there! The drift wood I find here is so friggin' awesome, and the filter media and fish foods such an amazing deal, that I have decided to spend another few hundred bucks on shipping a cubic meter of stuff home. It helps that my wife found some deck furniture since this allows me a good excuse...I mean discount, on the shipping too!

If anyone out there wants to piggy back on this order of mine or wants anything special, send me a pm. Be sure to include your phone number so I can call you up and confirm.

"Stability" by Seachem can speed up the (new) water cycling process. I did try it myself. You could safely introduce the new fish in the tank in one week time!!

b-man

did i read right? can you give us more info on the STs? did you find a source for legit Sts?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I just threw these prices together in a pm to a forum member:

The dats are NTT's (North Thailand Tigers), Datnioides Undecimradiatus.

I am getting 30 Tigerfish measuring about 3-3.5 inches each. Cost is $30 for one, $55 for two, $75 for 3, $95 for 4, $110 for 5. Plus GST and shipping by Westjet inside Canada if you are out of Vancouver too.

P. endlicheri are about 5 inches long. Cost is $50 for one, $95 for two, $135 for three, $170 for four. Plus GST and shipping by Westjet too.

Depending on how many fish of each kind you get, I can play with the prices I offer here!

Shipping no problem.

Also, I can get larger sized fish if you want, but at additional cost.

For a larger order I will require a Paypal deposit. Otherwise it will be first come first served once I am back in Canada.

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I am now moving at near warp speed. Well, actually my wife is and I am trying to keep up with her! :D

I am off to the weekend market for one last purchase of driftwood.

Fish order has been finalized (I think).

I will have NTT's (3-4 inch), C.temenis (4 inch), P.endlicheri (4 inch), Tinfoil barbs (2.5 inch), assorted blue discus - tourquoise, snakeskin, cobalt/diamonds (3 inch), two niger catfish (6-7 inch), one clear RT, 10 small RT, and 7 FH (4 inch) FH include 2 nice females. All male FH show nice humps, red colouration, flowers, and pearls.

The 10 small RT are spoken for, as are one female and male FH.

I will most likely offer everything else up for sale at low prices. Photos will be posted when time comes.

Fish will arrive in Vancouver beginning of July, probably a few days before the Asian arows arrive.

Hikari fish food is travelling with me today as checked luggage. I have a
box(es) of the aro sticks, sinking carnivore pellets, massivore pellets, and discus food.

I also have some special hormone enhanced FH/RT food, the most popular brand used in Thailand by all the pros. I hope Mr.customs man is okay with it, taking a gamble there...

The driftwood and filter media is all being shipped surface mail, will arrive begining of August (same time as Tenecor tanks I believe).

I feel like this is all a bit of a high-wire tight rope act right now. I think I can maintain my balance. Believe it or not, I actually find all this "fun". It is certainly a challenge unlike any I have attempted before... :)

MananaP

sleepless nights waiting hahahaha JK theo... can't wait for the aro's though... :D i will try to take that day off... i hope my boss would let me...

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
The Thailand order of fish arrives on July 8.

The dats are 3-3.5 inch NTT's (North Thailand Tigers), Datnioides Undecimradiatus.

Cost is $30 for one, $55 for two, $75 for 3, $95 for 4, $110 for 5. Plus GST and shipping by Westjet inside Canada if you are out of Vancouver too.

P. endlicheri are about 5 inches long. Cost is $50 for one, $95 for two, $135 for three, $170 for four. Plus GST and shipping by Westjet too.

Cichla temensis (Peacock bass - the "cool" one with white spots), 4-5 inches; $30 for one, $50 for two, $65 for three, $80 for four.

I have 5 four inch male Flower Horn, and 2 four inch female FH. They are all "good" quality with nice humps, red colour, lots of flowers, and pearls. I will post some photos of these guys. In the end I did not trust my knowledge to go for super high end FH as I lack the experience needed to bargain properly. I am undecided what to ask for these guys. Depending on interest, maybe some kind of auction...?

Depending on how many fish of each kind you get, I can play with the prices I offer here!

Last edited:

MananaP

The Thailand order of fish arrives on July 8.

The dats are 3-3.5 inch NTT's (North Thailand Tigers), Datnioides Undecimradiatus.

Cost is $30 for one, $55 for two, $75 for 3, $95 for 4, $110 for 5. Plus GST and shipping by Westjet inside Canada if you are out of Vancouver too.

Cichla temensis (Peacock bass - the "cool" one with white spots), 4-5 inches; $30 for one, $50 for two, $65 for three, $80 for four.

I have 5 four inch male Flower Horn, and 2 four inch female FH. They are all "good" quality with nice humps, red colour, lots of flowers, and pearls. I will post some photos of these guys. In the end I did not trust my knowledge to go for super high end FH as I lack the experience needed to bargain properly. I am undecided what to ask for these guys. Depending on interest, maybe some kind of auction...?

i think i will go for P. bass theo maybe 1 or two not sure yet...i already got 3 NTT...i'm still going for the xback though and some fish foods.

MananaP

Theo can't wait to see the tankmates tomorrow? They are coming tomorrow right? Well give me a call maybe i can swing by your place after work maybe around 8 or 9 at night then i can give you my down payment for the blue base xback and get a couple of aro tankmates.Give me a call tomorrow theo thanks...If i might not be able to answer your call right away,reason being i am at work i will try my best to get back to you asap though ok.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I'll give you a call later and let you know how it all works out.

The fish arrive in the evening. Asside from one forum member who wants his fish right away (which is good because I am short tank space), the rest will be available for pick up starting on Wednesday. At least that is the plan...

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
All fish made it fine except for 3 NTT (out of 50). I can't believe I have so many fish right now! Yikes.

MananaP

That's pretty good that only died Theo. Hope i can see them tomorrow or maybe thurday night? still waiting for the address :)