Premium Power Red

Marowana420

Here is a few pictures of my fish, its about 14 inches long. I got him for almost a month now. Also, I dont seem to find any other aros named Premium Power Red or Power Red. Does anyone else own one of them?

Attachments

• june july 09 169.jpg
    june july 09 169.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 878
  • june july 09 173.jpg
    june july 09 173.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 855
  • june july 09 174.jpg
    june july 09 174.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 880

hondas3000

Look like Pang Long farm. Red is red the name is just different farm calling their red but in the end it is still red aro. With the name people can also tell which farm the fish come from. Your do have nice shine though, now just wait for the color to be red :).

Marowana420

Thanks, the cert is from Pt.Mitra Sarana Aquatama. Got him from Sam from gold garden on steeles.
And yes, fish is a present from icebeast.

chen88

Super Moderator
PRESENT? hey Beast...my birthday is coming up! lol

Was it one of those VIP's that sam has? was thinking of one of those Chilli's that he has for around $900++ colours looked nice..

Marowana420

He first got a chili too. But i couldnt decide between the two sam has. so i kept going back to look and all of a sudden he upgraded me. Thx again bro, i love my fish!!!

isjah

i've seen that fish at sam's, almost all of his fishes has PLJ, i commented on it, i don't think he liked it LOL!!!!! the truth is the truth sorry

Marowana420

is it a birth defect? if not how can i correct it? (i aint breaking no jaws)
also what is spoon head and shovel head? and what will mine be a spoon or a shovel?

Marius

is it a birth defect? if not how can i correct it? (i aint breaking no jaws)
also what is spoon head and shovel head? and what will mine be a spoon or a shovel?

It's still out there to what causes this, by the very best guess would be genetics, especially in the super reds. If a breeder has PLJ, most of the fry will get it as well, but as long as the color is nice and the aro eats well I wouldn't be bothered by it. You won't breed your aro anyway :). Japanese for example believe that PLJ is caused by an internal organ problem, and they suggest that feeding smaller amounts of food instead of a big meal daily can help with the defect. Another suggestion is to put the arowana in a pond. :) As I said, don't stress too much, if the color will be solid, the slight PLJ won't take too much off the aro's value.

As for the "spoon head", it's just about the slope between the body and the head of the arowana. Some people like it because it makes the aro look more aggressive, but it's all about what you like. Me for example I prefer bullet heads. Don't confuse spoonhead with King-aro (spoonhead+short bodies)

Attachments

• headbullet.jpg
    headbullet.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 664
  • headspoon.jpg
    headspoon.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 700

Marowana420

thanks for your detailed explantion, Marius. and everyone that left a comment.

I have another question. What is the cause of drop eye? i've read its caused by genetics, overfeeding and looking at the bottom too much? which one is it? or is it a combination of those factors?
Is it true that the fishes that are feed live food more prone to this problem?

isjah

again DE is a great debate, all the above you've mentioned may cause it. i myself believe cause our aro will live their life in a tank eventually it will have DE. Like Marius said, as long as your red is RED then don't stress over it.

Marowana420

again DE is a great debate, all the above you've mentioned may cause it. i myself believe cause our aro will live their life in a tank eventually it will have DE. Like Marius said, as long as your red is RED then don't stress over it.

Thanks, i will try to not worry about it. but it sucks to know it will eventually happen.

Marius

On the DE thing, genetics yes, but at the same time nutrition plays a very important role. In particular, the fat and the quantity of food. Just like humans, if you feel like your aro is starving and you feel the need to overfeed, it is better to do it in small meals, more times a day then all at once. Again, concerning the choice of food, I'd never feed an arowana something very rich in fat -like earthworms- unless I have a really big pond and I know that the aros will move enough to burn the extra calories.

Seriously, excess fat, predominantly, combined with genetics causes DE, and it can be either corrected through nutrition, or surgery.

Now, one can go over and debate about feeding the fish a lot of salmon and no aro showing no DE signs. Salmon, as good as it is for humans, it is the same for fish: rich, nutritious, and very easily digestible. Me for one, I'd eat the salmon myself :D.

For all purposes I'd stick to traditional choice of food, pellets and super worms in particular.