Pump dead

chen88

Super Moderator
Well...it was a good 5 years I guess :) One of my Reeflow Snapper 18 pump started making funny loud noises last week and today it went silent! Glad that the system I have ran on 2 pumps!. Tank's still fine even with one less pump...have lots of water movement inside following recent introduction of hiblow pump which churns the water quite good...

Feel like redoing all my plumbing but it's very tight under my cabinet and I really don't much time to redo everything!...and I guess if it's not broken (aside needing a new pump) don't mess with it!.

MEDHBSI

when the pump died did it spew anything into the tank? like prop parts? I've always wondered if a pump breaks does it have the potential to kill fish.

chen88

Super Moderator
No, just stopped working. That's something I think everyone needs to consider....either have a spare pump ready or buy one that is easily available or have 2 pumps running like I did. This way if one goes, the tank is still running.

MEDHBSI

good idea for sure! I couldn't imagine if my pump gave out at night and i couldn't get my water moving until morning

chen88

Super Moderator
yeah...decided to order a couple Water Blaster 12500 based on guys recommendation from here....

Dis

ya i heard the water blasters are good but no personal experience. Aren't they submersible pumps?

You dont want another reeflo? 5 years seems good, but i guess its always better if it could have lasted longer....

glad your fish and tank are fine

chen88

Super Moderator
the water blaster can be submersible as well as inline. I'll be using as inline like my reeflo. Based on good reviews from a few snr members on here as well as great reviews especially on how quiet they are convinced me. My tank is in my living room 20ft away from my TV so it'll be nice to to have to hear the reeflo over my tv.. :)

CanadaPleco

This is why I run 2 pumps in my tank as well. Always good backup to run 2. I think better then having a spare actually.

chen88

Super Moderator
This is why I run 2 pumps in my tank as well. Always good backup to run 2. I think better then having a spare actually.

Yeah I agree...with spare you still have to rush to get it up and running!. I did order 2 Water Blaster 12500 (1 spare :) but I'll keep the current Reeflo runing and hopefully in the next couple of weeks find time to install one of the water blaster. I'll change out the second reeflo when it dies...but in the mean time I'll have one water blaster and one reeflo runing for now.

tman

Super Moderator
I am surprised the snapper was noisy as I have a dart and a hammerhead gold hybrid in my entertainment room and they are silent while watching TV.