show me your SUMP

chen88

Super Moderator
Ok...so as we are talking more these days about sumps and their contents it would be great for some of our members to show on this thread their sump, design and media within the sumps and equipment. I think this will help all our members (Including myself). I one day hope to happy with the contents of my sump where it will breakdown waste on a regular basis. I keep hearing that Momotaro Bacteria house is the best...

Let see some Sumps!...here's mine for now!

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_4906_2.jpg

bcarlos

Chen, in a few months I'll post some pics of the system I've got going on my 16 X 16 outdoor Koi pond. Got two big sumps, ultra violet filter, etc. It's a helluva system.

In the meantime, I second this being a good idea. I don't have a sump on my aro tank but am thinking of converting. Would like to get some ideas.

kookus

I read somewhere that its a good idea to put air disks under the bio balls so that the detritus keeps moving around. What do you guys think?

I'm going to use scrubbies in that area i think they provide more surface area than bioballs. I'm going to HK next week so I'm going to look into Bacteria House or knockoffs of....

Joey

Not completly filled with media, or proper equipment just yet... but up and running none the less....

100_6911.jpg

Last edited:

1goodcatch

my Sump

IMG_3143.jpg
Wet and Dry sump,
Media: momotaro bacteria house, bio balls, crushed lavarock, Eheim substrate & corals
Flow rate: 900 Gal/hr

Last edited:

JOHN B

SUMP

Hi Chen,

I will show my sump when the project is done. I'm putting together huge sump with these dimensions of 72"L x 36"W x 22-14"H. Main tank is 3 sided starphire 3/4 inch on 450 Gallon.

chen88

Super Moderator
I'm going to redo my sump and change out my pumps. the 2 reeflo in line pumps continues to heat up my tank...this i'm sure and have only been running one pump. im looking at using 2 mag 18's to run my sump and hope this will turn my temp to below 80 so I can control the heat using my titanium heaters with the controller. just need to find time to convert and find cheaper mag ;-) ;-) for you know who's listening!

hustler

Here is mine Its 5 ft by 16 by 16 sump running my 180 gallon comm.
Tons of ceramic rings and bio balls just incase, 2500 gph ehiem pump.
She is a workhorse..... can seem to handle any kind of bio load as long as you throw some juice in there when you add more fish.
004.jpg

chen88

Super Moderator
Here is mine Its 5 ft by 16 by 16 sump running my 180 gallon comm.
Tons of ceramic rings and bio balls just incase, 2500 gph ehiem pump.
She is a workhorse..... can seem to handle any kind of bio load as long as you throw some juice in there when you add more fish.

Can throw in a close up of where the intake from your tank into your sump? are you using filter floss? or just the regular sponge?

hustler

I use LOTS of regular sponge and 1 layer of floss that i throw out once a month.
Its a bit dirty but this is my incoming water setup. 2 2" pvc drains that drain right into the first chamber. I chose to do it this way then drill it in because it gives so much more air into the water.... you can see fine bubbles into the 4th chamber....Awesome for bio :)
009.jpg

chen88

Super Moderator
how's the noise factor? this setup is definitely going to help keep things clean. I have my tank in my living room about 20ft away from the tv and 10 from my couch so I tried very hard to keep the noise from my sump to a min. level...

hustler

Its all in the lid and the cabinet ;) doors open she is real loud but when shut its almost the same as the sound from the drains at the top. Its right in my diningroom and you dont even notice it

skynoch

Very nice setups. I've switched to bio-reactors on my tanks now instead of sumps and found great success with these. Keep the pics coming.