SUMP help

cape

Hi, just recently purchased a used tank and trying to set up the sump system. One of the pipes connecting to the sump has these two ends that state flow control with two prongs sticking out of them that connects to a 120V battery. what does this do exactly? When I was moving the pipes, the prong piece pulled out of one of the ends. Is this necessary/fixable? Have been reading up on Sumps and none state any Flow control feature like this? Sorry new to this hobby and any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if my wording is a little confusing, but have provided pictures below. thanks in advance.
DSC08361.jpg

DSC08360.jpg

Pulled out piece placed beside the intact side
DSC08364.jpg

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
Looks like a home made UV Sterilizer...the piece sticking out looks like the end of a uv light blub..

cape

Thanks for the prompt reply. Now I am wondering: 1) if water is running through that tube, wouldn't it ruin the bulb? Unless uv sterilizers are supposed to be sumberged? 2) is this bulb necessary?
3) if so, is the damage (pulled out entire piece) fixable? Should I just replace the whole bulb? Or another more efficient way to incorporate a uv sterilizer?

Many thanks. New to hobby and looking for as much guidence and expertise as possible!

chen88

Super Moderator
UV Sterilizers will have a glass tube around where the blub inserted therefore the water that runs through the tube never comes into contact with the uv tube...just unscrew the cap and see if the blub comes out....it looks like it does!...

rudy

Thanks for the prompt reply. Now I am wondering: 1) if water is running through that tube, wouldn't it ruin the bulb? Unless uv sterilizers are supposed to be sumberged? 2) is this bulb necessary?
3) if so, is the damage (pulled out entire piece) fixable? Should I just replace the whole bulb? Or another more efficient way to incorporate a uv sterilizer?

Many thanks. New to hobby and looking for as much guidence and expertise as possible!

Personally I would pick it up say your good byes and chuck it. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. If you want a uv sterilizer buy a turbo twist they are way simpler then that contraption

chen88

Super Moderator
yup...agree with Rudy....depending on your tank size...turbo twist are nice uv sterilizer...but by the sounds of it and not being to identify what this was to begin with you probably don't need one? or havent had to use one....so just get the basic tank setup and running and then decide if you need a uv sterilizer

cape

So if I decide to remove the whole piece, all I need to do is buy PVC from a department store that matches the dimensions of the piece I'm removing? Also, would I just be able to use the current piece with the UV bulb inside, but just not hook up the bulb to the battery. So the bulb is just there, doing nothing? Have added another picture, showing that the other end is attached to the pump if that matters at all. Also the tank is 180 gal. Thanks again

Sump003.jpg

Joey

removing the uv completly.. too many elbows anyway... it will end up just slowing the flow.

cape

Thanks for all the help. Just pitched that piece away. Now I'm almost done set up but need some more help. Just a couple of quick questions:

1) Is the return pipe suppose to be above or below the water line? how to obtain this level of water, just fill up until desired height? The tank I got has 3 holes drilled, with the return hole drilled above the other two about 5 inches.

2) How to prevent overflow/spilling? If my power goes out, wouldn't the sump overfill very quickly? What measures or any solutions for this?

Again, sorry for all the newb questions but do not want to do anything wrong. Very excited to get into the hobby and this forum. thanks again.

Joey

The return pipe will have to have a siphon break in it. What this means, is if you plan to have the return below the waters surface, you will need to have hole drilled into the pipe just under the water line. The hole doesnt need to be big. What this does, is if the power goes out, the pump pipe will start to back siphon until it gets to that hole, then it sucks air and stops the water flow. Hence it being called a siphon break.

So that solves that issue of the return pipe causing a flood during power outage...
As for the drains, im assuming you have them in the back walls. Water will drain all the way down to them if the pump stops. So to make sure the water does not drain down that far, you'll need an elbow with a pipe on each elbow raised to the heigth you want the water line at. Then when power goes out, the water only drains to the top of those pipes.

Pics of the setup will help.. a full tank shot being best...

cape

Pics

Finally got pictures of the tank. The two top holes have been resealed. The return pipe? (The single tube on top) is pretty flush to the tank?
P1000932.jpg

P1000935.jpg

Should I still try to drill a hole into the top of the tube, as its really flush, maybe sticks out about 2 inches? (to prevent overflow if electricity goes out) If that's not an option, what can I do to prevent possible overflow in the future?

How would I fill the tank to make sure the cycling is even. Like, the return or outflow isn't faster than the other? I was thinking just fill the sump which will fill the tank until it reaches the two outflow pipes, and see what happens?

Is the waterline when the tank is filled supposed to be between the top pipe and the bottom two, or above the top pipe, how to achieve this?

Sorry if the wording is confusing as I have stated, new to all this and hoping to get this thing running soon so I can get on that order for an Aro. If anything needs to be clarified, please let me know. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Joey

I would start by replacing the plumbing. I dont like the looks of those make shift bulkheads...

Looks like the bottom two are the drains.

The water level will be to those two holes. no higher. Unless you install another 90 degree elbow on each of those "bulkheads",on the inside of the tank turning them upwards. then the water level will be to the top of the elbow.. adding some pvc to the ends of those elbows will help if you want the water level higher.

the holes above them may be returns...

to make sure the water flow is not too much, add a ball valve to the pump to control the flow rate. water will only overflow as much as the pump puts out.

cape

Thanks for the prompt reply. If I keep the water level just at the drain pipes, the water level would be really low? So I guess I will be adding elbows.. Should the openings of the elbow face upwards or the same direction as the current bulkheads? Also, i assume I would still be able the drill the hole in the elbow to create a siphon?

cape

Also, is there a certain distance the opening of the elbow needs to be under the return pipe? Will it cause problems if this opening is even or above the return pipe?