Swim blader problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
So i received a arowana 2 days ago. via west jet when i opened the box he was almost dead he was upside down and not breathing much the bag he was in had ruptured the water was very cold cuz the heat pack got wet.
i put him in a tank i did not even think he would live much longer but to my suprise he went from belly up to head down ass up and he started swiming a bit then a few hours later the light went off and almost instantly he went back to belly up trashing around so i got some plexiglass and sanwiched him.
then i read that i could possibly save him by putting in a tank with low water so he can rest at the bottom
I now have him in a 33g with air bubble, heater, salt and melafix
My problem now is that the water line is so low that i cant really fit any filtration with such low waterline

here are my questions
1- As anyone ever brought back a aro from this situation
2- can i just do water change every day( with water from a cycled tank ) instead of trying to fit a canister filter
3- Do you think the lights going off had anything to do with him going back to the state he was when i got him or is it just a coincidence

Thanks for your input in advance

hustler

I had an arowana hit the floor once when packaging.... Same type of behavior.
I just turned my heat up and added salt.
If after a few hours he still can not hold himself up in the small tank, Make sure you change water very often and add salt/heat.
I lost a black like this a few weeks ago when he was thrashing in transport....
Good luck

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Filtration not needed; if you can, do a water change by adding water from another well cycled clean tank you have running.

In my experience, give it a week and the fish should be okay.

If your fish is not making it, I am sorry. Out of curiosity, what kind of fish is it and where was it shipped from?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I did not know it was a large fish; I have no experience using the low-tank water technique on large fish, only on smaller ones in the 6-7 inch range.

Good luck.

bcarlos

I did not know it was a large fish; I have no experience using the low-tank water technique on large fish, only on smaller ones in the 6-7 inch range.

Good luck.

I've used it on 12 inch fish, worked fine. Good luck!

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
Died last night . This is terrible. i guess i should contact seller/sender to get a partial reimbursement what do you think? the seller is a member here

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Was the fish shipped with heat packs? Was the fish shipped with Oxygen? Was the box properly packed? Was the fish in distress immediately upon arrival? Did you contact the seller immediately upon receipt of the fish about concerns you had? Did you discuss a live arrival guarantee prior to the shipping of the fish? Lots of questions for you to consider along with the vendor. Good luck with it all and sorry for the loss.

Boydo

Sorry for your loss.

Cirrus, raises some very good points and questions that should be asked. IMO the shipper should be acountable at some level.

It is always good idea when recieving fish to take some pictures of the fish in the original un-opened container/bag if there is any concerns. This way the shipper can see that it arrvied in this condition and it wasn't a reasults of poor handling on the recieving end.

I hope everthing works out ok for you.

chen88

Super Moderator
Man now the seller wont answer me at all. This is terrible ....................

Maybe he is away right now. Hopefully all of our members are in good standing and helps out.

Again, if it's the airlines fault then perhaps a claim could be made with them as if it was packed right, hard to blame the shipper.

AroNoob

Maybe he is away right now. Hopefully all of our members are in good standing and helps out.

Again, if it's the airlines fault then perhaps a claim could be made with them as if it was packed right, hard to blame the shipper.

Airlines are hard to get any compensation from even if you have insurance put on the package. They will usually try and get you to sign off on the package before you receive it but your signature releases them from liability so always ask to inspect our package before you sign and open it in front of an agent.

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
Maybe he is away i sure hope so. i am still giving him the benefit of the doubt at this moment .

Yes there was a heatpack 1 little heat pack for a 16 inches Aro doing a cross country journey. on top of that he was packed 3 h prior to flight and on of the bag ruptured along the way, there was notthing in the box to stabilize the bag
Combine that with the fact it was -4 in Mtl that poor fish never had a chance. :(

Anyways i will be a little more patient with the seller.
is there a rule against publicly calling him out ?

Attachments

• heatpack.jpg
    heatpack.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 569

chen88

Super Moderator
I would suggest taking the matter via private messages for the mean time until a resolution has been agreed with. As the buy and sell is between the buyer and seller unlike the vendor section, there's very little we can do to reinforce the situation other then try to give advice to both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.