Tail removal video

Joey

I removed the tail from my arowana today. Thought you guys might want to see the video i made of it.. from start to finnish.

Let me know how i did.. i was a bit nervous, as this was my first time.

chen88

Super Moderator
lol...i wanted to see your face when he started to flop around after the cutting..I bet you almost drop the cam!

Joey

I was so nevous during the whole video, that i accidently cut some parts short.. like when he was in the smaller tank.. only moments after i shut it off, he went belly up.. bad timming on my part...

And yes, i almost dropped the camera when he flopped.. i wasnt expecting that at all.. lol

chen88

Super Moderator
nevertheless you made it look much easier then i'm sure it really was!!
good job Doc!

Boydo

You were very calm for your first operation. You did a nice job of removing the tail and keeping a round shape which is important. Adding salt at 0.1% to your tank for the first 3-5 days will prevent any chances of infection. Not to critique you, but you only needed to trim down to the first intact hard ray and remove it with the broken rays and left the rest of the tail it would have healed like new as well;). Expect new growth in 6-10 days and 6-8 weeks for a full recovery. With the technique you chose the aros tail will most likely grow back larger too:).

Keep us updated of the recovery.

King-eL

Very nice! Keep us update when it fully healed. I used to do fin operation to make them look wider and bigger. Don't wanna start a tread of what I do, as before many are against operation.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Wow, just watched your video...you have nerves of steel! :)

Looks like you did an amazing job, will be fun to watch your fish' tail grow over time.

aro7

nice job, ive been planning on doing a tail operation on my aro for some time now, but never had the balls....good job and hope he recovers fast.

Joey

Another update:

Since moving the arowana back to his tank, i noticed that his dorsal fin was snapped at the base of it, where it meets his back. You can actually see this in the last video. So i decided to cut that off as well. Since the break was so close to the back, it was not an easy task. I did not get a video of that, nor did i take any pics, as i thought i had ruined him by cutting it off so close. Still, i completed it, and the dorsal fin has now grown back fully.

Here he is as of yesterday:

f08d9343.jpg

peacockbass

beautiful Panda.....reminds me of mine....nice spoon head and body on her....dont think i'd have the never to operate like that...good job....