The fish are coming!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Yes, the fish in the "April order" are coming shortly, am so sorry for the delay. Everyone has been emailed, final preparations are being made.

In particular I would like to apologise to all the buyers in the "May order", who are still waiting for the good news. That order has also been delayed, was to have been here by now. I feel bad that someone trusts me enough to place an order for a Show Quality Super Red (not a cheap fish) only to have it delayed. This is not the way I am used to operating. All I can say is it is out of my hands and I process the paperwork as fast as I can. Maju was at Interzoo, the home office seems to have basically shut down during that time. I am pestering them to get this done ASAP!

Last edited:

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Given the delay, and given my past experience, I think we are looking at 3-4 weeks till the fish lands.

m_class2g

Sponsor
ahhh its ok. delays happen all the time. as long as the fish come in, im sure everyone will be satisfied lol.

Aro-L

New shipment of BBXB

Received last night. As you all could see in the pictures, the size of this batch is only around 4"-4.5" maximum and the quality is ???

2 to 3 months ago, all buyers thought that they paid for the quality fish from the link below, and at least 7"-9" when it gets to Canada.

http://www.dragonfish.ca/maju_xb's_2010.htm

Last night, all of us buyer was very disappointed :mad: after we opened the boxes at the airport. The Wesjet lady look very :confused:

Anyway, Maju disappointed Canadian Hobbyist this time.:mad:

Attachments

• BBXB.jpg
    BBXB.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,133
  • BBXB2.jpg
    BBXB2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • BBXB3.jpg
    BBXB3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,061

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
The easiest thing for me would be to just delete the angry faces and complaints of Aro-L. I won't do that, as I am not a fan of censorship and firmly believe that the truth will out anyway.

I take full personal responsibility for the size issue of the BBXB (SR's were not as much an issue), for reasons explained below.

I have finally hit the limit of my abilities as a hobbyist trans-shipper/wholesaler, and it all has to do with trying to accomadate everyone's needs. One customer in eastern Canada requested four different fish - SR, 2 BBXB, RTG - which he plans to put into a partititioned arowana tank with the goal being to create an aro community tank. In the past I had Panda send out mixed types of aros that came in different sizes and it led to dead fish on the part of the buyer. thus, I wanted this customer's fish to be the same size. Furthermore, I had another customer in Edmonton order 10 BBXB who told me just a few weeks before the order was placed that they were for a personal tank, and so I again asked Maju to make sure the fish were the same size. It turns out the customer decided to sell the fish instead and so was disappointed the fish were not in the 8 inch range. I am left confused since I did not want to receive some SR or BBXB that were 3-4 inches bigger than others; this would be deadly in a community tank situation. The good news is that the fish did come in close to the same size. The bad news is they did not come in as large as some people were expecting. Thus, I feel like I am caught between a rock and a hard place. In the end I made the call on behalf of fellow hobbyists, instead of on behalf of my fellow hobbyist-retailers. Lol, talk about a case of double jeopardy!

To make matters even more complex, this order was way overbooked (apologies and refunds issued) and was of course delayed.

And then of course prices went up on Maju's BBXB's after I cleaned out his larger stock on the February order.

All in all a rather confusing order in some ways. At least the fish came in healthy and nice looking. Sorry they were not all as big as expected.

And on a positive note, the 25 cm Super Red came in looking more like 30 cm. Very orange/red fish; I look forward to videoing it soon in the owners tank.

In conclusion, any problems with this order are 90% my fault. I asked for fish to be the same size, knowing that this would likely mean smaller fish. The fact I did this to help pure hobbyists instead of retailer/hobbyists just highlites the fact that I have grown too big as an importer and my model has to change. The delay of the shipment, however, was not my fault. You can blame that on INTERZOO in Germany if you like. I can not see how reasonable it would be to demand Maju to forego attendance there just to have been able to process this order a few weeks earlier.

I will post video and photos of the fish later today.

Aro-L

Cirrus, we all know that you're trying to help... to make everyone happy :)

'Cause of your post ~ http://www.dragonfish.ca/maju_xb's_2010.htm , the reason that most buyers placed orders it's because they thought that they'll get the same fish out of this 31 :)

Anyway, normal standard selling sizes from most of Aros Farms are at least 5"-6". This is small to put them on the market :)

bcarlos

It's one thing to knock the size, but I disagree with the quality comment. I can make a definitive judgment when mine come in tonight, but from the pictures they look of comparable quality to BBXB's from the previous order (minus size, of couse).

Theo, I think you made a good judgment call here. The fact that you're thinking more like a hobbyist than a retailer is NOT proof that you should get out of this business; it's proof that you're exactly what this business needs.

Pump these aro's with quality food and they will be up to par in no time. Speaking as a hobbyist and a retailer, this is a completely managable problem.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I agree that the quality is there. I took extensive video and still photos of your fish before shipping them out Brandon; I will upload it all later and everyone can figure it out for themselves.

One nice thing about decentralizing the whole dragonfish.ca model is that it would allow regional coordinators to meet the needs of their local buyers. The problem I have is I am dealing sometimes with a dozen or more individuals. It is just too much to do as a part time hobby. If I were retired I would do the logical thing and just open a shop/wharehouse. :)

As it is, I am feeling like I have taken the "dragonfish concept" almost to the limit. I have always been a bit of a control freak; time for me to share/delegate to others while continuing to offer my expertise in the background.

Right now there is one order left on my books. It includes my fish and the special show quality fish. I am thinking this will be the last order I actively organize and process...

JLee

Theo, thank you so much! The size was a bit smaller than expected but I think you made a good judgement call. It is impossible to to satisfy everyone but let the record show that I am a very satisfied customer.

You are a true asset to the Arowana community. In our 30+ communications over the last two-three weeks, your professionalism and customer service is unsurpassed. I would hate to see you stop providing this service. Dare I propose you deal with a smaller, previous, customer base. This way you avoid all the hassle and problems. (If like that idea please add me to that "list" :))

I will be posting pictures soon.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Here you go guys - you be the judges. :)

I will format properly one day, but for now have a look:

http://www.dragonfish.ca/cv_maju_may_2010.htm

All the photos in above link taken yesterday.

On looking at the photos, I was reminded of some of the fish I used to get in from Panda. Have a look at the older photos on dragonfish.ca and you will see a smaller sized fish was not uncommon from that farm (though other times the fish were much larger too).

Some videos to come. And I am getting glowing reviews of the 25-30 cm fish... :)

Last edited:

bcarlos

Yepp, fish are in the tank and they look great. Good finnage, nice gold base, alert and some of the calmest young aro's I've seen.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Theo, thank you so much! The size was a bit smaller than expected but I think you made a good judgement call. It is impossible to to satisfy everyone but let the record show that I am a very satisfied customer.

I will be posting pictures soon.

I am so glad you are happy with the fish. They show good potential I think. :)

I plan to continue posting articles and such related to aros, I just can't do these massive imports anymore. I will continue to support those of you who want to import on your own or through trusted contacts I have made in Canada over the years.

For example, I think that you and Brandon (BCarlos) can have some good fun in future doing some importing of exotic fish. ;)

I look forward to seeing your photos, all the best.

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
where are the pics of the show size maju premium red aro!?

The show red comes in the next shipment due ASAP (waiting on papers!)

The jumbo SR fish that came in was sold as an extra large SR at 25 cm, actually measures 30+ I think; I am going to go to the fellow's home to video it on weekend. I have been sent photos by phone, it looks stunning. :)

The owner is a forum member here, perhaps he can post some photos before then... :)

Last edited: