thoughts on feeding Beef Heart to Asian Aros

1goodcatch

anyone feed their Asian Aros Beef heart?
when I had silvers, I used to feed them Beef Heat among other foods.
I have not fed beef heart to my RTG and Red
advise, thoughts?
thank you

Joey

Beef heart seams to be a staple for large carnivorous fish, and i dont think its a great idea to feed it.

Beefheart obviously comes from a warm blooded animal, and any fats from a warm blooded animal have a high melting piont, which means the fat is mostly going to be stored in the liver.

On the other side of the coin, cold blooded animals have slow melting fats. That fat is used and stored as energy, and can be burned off.

Even though beef heart has a very low fat content, prolonged feeding of it will not give good results. Once in a while will be fine though.

Stick to meats from cold blooded animals like fish, shrimp, ect...

Use a high quality pellet as a staple, and use cold blooded meat to complete the diet.

1goodcatch

thanks for the good advise.. I think I will pass on feeding them beef heart and stick to the shrimps, super worms and pellets that I am using.
Murali

chen88

Super Moderator
yeah...my fish eats what's convenient for me to feed them...and MP and SW are easy and quick...and clean....

Boydo

Beef heart isn't the best food for an aro, as it's difficult for them to assimilate. Fish fillets like tilapia, catfish, tuna, barrimudi, trout, pike, walleye, etc....are more options that are very cost effective. Wash and cut the fillets into small cubes and re-freeze meal size portions in ziplock bags, then defrost in the fridge or on the counter prior to feeding. If you want to take it to the next level sprinkle a quality vitamin like Boyd Vita-Chem or Kent Zoe onto the defrosted food and let let soak for a couple hours before feeding.

Last edited:

Joey

sprinkle a quality vitamin like Boyd Vita-Chem or Kent Zoe onto the defrosted food and let let soak for a couple hours before feeding.

Bacteria counts start to double within 20 mins of being out of the freezer... let it soak in the fridge to slow the growth if you choose this method. Since we are feeding this stuff raw and not freshly cooked, bacteria has to be considered. This is generally not an issue, but you never know.