Very Sad Day for My Babe 24k... Please Help Me.

ArowanaLover

Hi Everyone.
I have an 10" XB 24k and today when I open the lid to feed him, he jumped out of the tank.:(

When I put him back into the tank, he lost about 15 scales and his half of his tail was completely gone. I was shock that this fish was so fragile.

This is my very first aro so I really help from an expert on this. What is the best thing for me to do to nursery this babe :confused:??

Should I cut off the rest of his tail to let it grows back or just leave it as is? And if so, what kind of the medication do I need to put the fish to sleep? I am so heart broken now and I don't know what best to do for my fish. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:

exoticaquaria

sorry to hear that. very nice aro though. what farm?

just keep the water clean and he will be ok. aros are tough/fragile at the same time. his scales will heal fine since he is a young aro.

tail part, i think cut it all is better. at this point looks like he lost the bottom half very close to the base... if you leave it as is, it will grow out uneven. even doing an operation, the tail won't necessarily grow back looking like 100%/perfect. you can sedate the aro with transmore if you can find it... only time will tell in this case.

ArowanaLover

Yeah... I don't know how his tail was snapped so easily and it is very close to the base too :(. So the transmore is the name of the medication? What brand should I use?

Joey

Cut the tail off.. I cut my aro's tail off at one point as it was broken at the base. Not as bad as yours, but still needed to be done.

I have a video on it if you need it.

My aro's tail grew back better than it was... or so i thought.

tomuhs

Your tail cut thread was made into a sticky a while ago Joey; one of the best I've seen for this kind of operation:

http://www.arowanaclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2750

Yes I watched the video, very well done and thanks for sharing Joey. I was nervous just watching it and I knew the outcome.

Good luck with the gorgeous fish.

He/she probably saved your life or prevented something bad from happening...if you believe in feng shui. :D

ArowanaLover

One night had passed and my babe still looks strong and calm after falling 5ft off the solid floor. Thanks for all your comments guys.

Yeah Joey I saw your video...great video buddy. Could you please tell me what kind of the medication you used to put the fish to sleep and what doses did you used?

Joey

I used clove oil. I mentioned what i used, how much i dosed, etc.. in that video.

I seen growth after a few days..

If i were to give a more accurate regrowth estimate, i'd say it was around 1/8" a week. Sometimes 1/4".

This fish's tail was back completely, in something like 2-3 months.

While regrowth seems slow, its back before you know it. Health and size of the fish play a role, but so does its environment.

I did not post treatment. I did nothing to the cut, nor the water. I simply provided a proper environment, and pristine water. That goes a very long way.

ArowanaLover

Thanks Joey... I will watch it agian. I just added some salt into the tank today (1 tea spoon for every 10gals). Is this a good way to help the fish recover faster? I also plan to do a 30% WC every 4or5 days. What do you think guys?
And by the way, he did not ate anything for the whole day :(

Joey

I never used salt in my treatment. But its not a bad idea.

Step your water changes up by a day, and increase them by a bit.

ArowanaLover

OMG... today when I check him, his tail was gone completely :(
What is wrong with him? Does anybody has any idea? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1445.jpg
    IMG_1445.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 484

Joey

Well, that makes life easier on you...

Fell off due to severe stress most likely... sometimes its injury as well. I have heard most often it is caused by stress though.

Keep an eye on water parameters. Bump the temp up to 28-30c, add some salt(1 teaspoon of salt per gallon), and turn out the lights.

He probably wont eat for a few days, but that tends to be normal.