Which tank for FRT?

skynoch

What a great looking frt. Congrats on an exellent purchase.
If your doing a comm tank with them there is no way I wouldn't feed every day. Mine is fine unless I miss a couple feedings and then it starts to want to experiment with tasting anything.
lol, yah feeding is never a problem.
Do you know the growth rate of these guys? Does there growth slow down over time or stay pretty much the same?

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks.

I'm not sure what their growth rate is, I'm still trying to get some solid info on them. I have read where some keepers slow their growth rate by reducing feedings in order to keep them in smaller tanks. That kind of thinking really annoys me.

Boydo

Looks great Gerry! I want one too!

Feeding these guys seems to be debated everywhere. I would suggest feeding alfalfa pellets or rabbit food believe it or not. You will get a balanced growth and all required vitamins and minerals. This has a lower protein balance that will be sure the shell grows at the same rate as the body without the need to starve them between meals.

HTH

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
Thanks, Bret. I've read about the rabbit food. I'm going with a veggie diet for the most part as the plecos will also enjoy greener food. :)

m_class2g

Sponsor
when he was in my tank, i didnt feed him too many massivore pellets. usually algae waffers. 5 a day. i would feed massivore once a week, around 5 or so. its too fun feeding these guys so i would skip 1 day feeding per week just so i dont overfeed.

he loves to eat, thats for sure!

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
I picked up some HBH algae wafers. Seems to be a decent formula with spirulina algae and alfalfa meal as the first two ingredients. Of course, he gobbled that up. Based on his eagerness to eat, I'll be able to offer a varied diet. Picking up some zuch for the plecos today, I'll see if he goes after that. :)

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
What ever you do dont put it with the ray or the ray will be missing its tail eventually. it happened to me :(
I feed mine all kinds of stuff: massivore, algee wafers, grapes, berries, dates and prawns
i have had it for 6 years when i got her she was 83g and now 1.6kg
These turtles are super social, curious and not shy at all. lots of good times ahead for you congrats

Mr.wilkinson

Sponsor
I almost forgot
the first 2 years i had her in a 220 with a 24" super bully jadini the turtle used to fight back and it was pretty annoying because it would make a lot of noise and splash lots of water but never any damage to the fish or the turtle.

RTG_Gerry

Super Moderator
What ever you do dont put it with the ray or the ray will be missing its tail eventually. it happened to me :(
I feed mine all kinds of stuff: massivore, algee wafers, grapes, berries, dates and prawns
i have had it for 6 years when i got her she was 83g and now 1.6kg
These turtles are super social, curious and not shy at all. lots of good times ahead for you congrats

Thanks and thanks for the tips.....:)