Winter/Spring Group Buy - On Location!

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
I'd say the prices are AMAZING! :)

Keep in mind that nothing lasts forever...I can see the day coming soon when prices may be going up...I would not joke or mislead people on this point. Thus, anyone sitting on the fence may want to act sooner rather than later.(hint - the arowana marketing structure used by Kenta and me thus far may be undergoing a change in the near future. If livestock are kept in quantity in Canada for resale, then prices must go up).

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Okay, some news. It looks like Kenta and I are going to be getting involved in a conventional retail/wholesale operation soon. Thus, this could be our last "group buy" as such. I will open up a thread at a later date to discuss this further. For now, please keep this thread on the topic of the current group buy.

I will be in Singapore in a few days. I will be taking a lot of photos of Panda stock which I will post ASAP. I will not have my laptop with me this time which means there could be a delay in my getting the photos uploaded (up to a week delay). We'll see! :)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Breaking news - Panda, along with most farms in S'pore, are seriously depleted in stock right now. Chinese New Year saw very strong sales. It looks like this group order is going to take more time to fill as the stock just is not there.

On a related note, I can now source some top quality fish from top quality shops. Seriously. Thus, those of you looking for something really special may be in luck.

I will try to post the photos of the gold heads, special xbacks, and SR's shortly.

Kenta

Administrator
As Theo mentioned, we will be getting out of the group orders... meaning we wont be able to offer these prices again...

I need to get deposits from those who showed interest ASAP. Any fence sitters need to jump in now as this looks to be our last group order before we start retail.

kookus

Thats a shame if it is. They have been bringing in some really nice fish for us hobbyist at a reasonable price. Best of luck to them in retail.

carcrazy

Hey, I just discovered this thread! Are there any group orders still going on or did I miss the boat (doh!)?

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Just a quick note to those of you who have asked me to hand pick or source you non-Panda Asian arowana. It is too labour intensive a project to do without some kind of deposit being made in advance. Hope you can all appreciate this.

In a few months I will be publishing a comprehensive set of articles on the Asian arowana retail scene in S'pore. Those of you looking for higher end fish might seriously consider coming over here on your own to buy your own fish with the store reviews I will be able to provide. :)

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Three Important Messages

First:

Without doubt this has been the most difficult group import for Kenta and I to arrange. I am guessing that more and more people may be arranging their own group imports of fish. Local fish stores (especially in eastern Canada) also seem able to match the kinds of prices we have been offering. Finally, we may have come close to saturating the internet market in Canada for Asian arowana (for now at least). It is probably a combination of all three reasons that have led to a decrease in buyer interest.

Right now we have three confirmed buyers. When I arrive back in Canada at the beginning of July I will be taking delivery of a shipment of fish from Panda Aquatic for my personal collection. I plan on trying out a Panda Gold community tank of 9 fish at that time. Because of this Kenta and I can guarantee that an order can be filled at that time. I hope we can get an order arranged before that time. It all depends on whether we receive any more buyer interest.

Second:

Unfortunately I am unable to offer the sale of individual fish from farms other than Panda. The reason is quite simple – I lack a farm or agent willing to handle the logistics of taking delivery of the fish and trans-shipping them to Canada. Furthermore, the cost of arranging the trans-shipping of individual fish to Canada for sale works out to the full retail price of fish sourced inside Canada. This price would include zero mark up from me. While I am happy to promote the Asian arowana hobby in Canada, even I am not willing to work for free to import fish. In the near future I will be publishing a series of articles on the retail arowana sector in SÂ’pore. I am happy to help anyone out who wants to import their own fish. For the price of an air ticket to SÂ’pore (though not including hotel cost!  ), I am convinced that anyone looking for a medium-grade fish (double A) will be able to come out ahead by arranging a purchase on their own.

Third:

There seems to be some misunderstanding in Canada concerning prices for fish. A single high grade Mujul, VIP, or a full helmet gold head is going to cost over $10,000 C when transportation costs are factored in. I have a pretty good handle on pricing of aros right now and if you are looking for a single VERY high grade fish of 3-5 years age, you can expect a high price. The reason for this is simple – the fish can be used as a breeder. When people talk about Asian arowana being an “investment” in SEAsia, they are referring to the fact that a juvenile fish, if raised to become a high quality adult fish can typically be traded to a farm for 4 high quality juvenile fish. Thus, you can quadruple your money over 4 years. This accounts for the high cost of good quality fish approaching or in breeding age. The better the fish and the closer to peak breeding age, the higher the price. We are just out of luck in Canada since we have no breeders (yet) to whom we can easily sell fish. This leaves the pure “keepers” of the fish, some of whom may be willing to spend big money on a fish, but who will probably still suffer sticker-shock when they receive the quote!

My advice for Canadian buyers: buy a juvenile fish from a farm with a good reputation and do the best job you can to grow it out. Obviously I am happy to help arrange a sale of a Panda fish, but if you are out in Eastern Canada you may have other more competitive options.

arl

I would just like to add some info that if you are planning to travel to singapore to handpick your aros and bring them back to canada as your check in lagage, you will only be allowed to bring 2 aros per pasenger. That is AVA (Agency CITIES is under) policy. YOu will have to get a singapore CITIES permit specially for aros to be checked in as luggage, it will be about $10 more than regular CITIES permit. This is to limit the trouble AVA agents at the airport will have and for AVA to have more control in regulating CITIES. You will have to bring your aros to the airport AVA office and have them scanned and your box sealed with AVA sticker before checking them in.

T1KARMANN

at the end of the day if you think you are going to get a very high grade fish for less than $3k think again

you can buy cheap xbacks and super reds but thier is a reason they are cheap :D

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
at the end of the day if you think you are going to get a very high grade fish for less than $3k think again

you can buy cheap xbacks and super reds but thier is a reason they are cheap :D

Ha ha we have had this discussion many times on this forum I think! :)

As always it comes down to how one defines "very high grade fish". I have seen fish for $2000 in S'pore that I think are prettier and more desirable than other for twice that amount. No matter what, you can save money by buying direct in Asia...how much money, and whether it is worth the hassle, are of course relative to personal opinion.

T1KARMANN

the problem is everyone is looking for their perfect aro :D

the bad part about it is you know what you want a aro to look like so you buy a young 6inch aro you waste 2yrs growing it and it doesnt look how you want it to what do you do sell and start again with another small aro the same thing could happen in another 2yrs

i have had 3 x diffrent asian aros none of them turned out the way i wanted after 2yrs thats 6yrs wasted looking for the perfect aro :eek:

its more expencive to buy say a 10inch aro but at that size if you know what you are looking for you should see it at 10inch

this is the main reason i have a aro com tank because after 2yrs this time the chances of getting the aro im looking for is alot higher :D