Worm Factory 360 - anyone tried these?

brianyam

I have tried this, and for sure worms are great for fish.

the only problem is in the winter when you have to bring the worms/box inside. it stinks, you got to keep it clean and dry. once it gets extra wet it really stinks and worms die.

kimrocks

Thanks Brian - Did you use Red Wrigglers or the Euro Nightcrawlers?

Apparently the Canadian Nightcrawlers are not ideal as they breed very slowly.

The extra moisture is supposed to drip to the bottom tray and becomes worm tea - suppose to be good for potted plants.

brianyam

I got the red wigglers.

it worked for a while. you throw your waste in there...but the worm tea stinks and you got to clean the box once and a while. not ideal when its -20C outside.

I think in summer when you can have the box outside its great. fish love it.

but my wife wasn't too happy and it stunk up the basement.

JLee

Just get a used minifridge ($80) and buy the canadian nightcrawlers. Last for a long time too. At around $50 with free shipping for 500 worms - no smell no fuss. Can't go wrong.

http://www.canadiannightcrawlers.com/
I think they're even cheaper on ebay. (not affiliated with them)

kimrocks

Just get a used minifridge ($80) and buy the canadian nightcrawlers. Last for a long time too. At around $50 with free shipping for 500 worms - no smell no fuss. Can't go wrong.

http://www.canadiannightcrawlers.com/
I think they're even cheaper on ebay. (not affiliated with them)

How long can they last in the fridge? - you do not have to feed them just soil in a styro right?

I tried Superworms, but the ray is not taking to them yet. I guess the Superworm has a harder shell casing . . .

mitchb

One thing I did notice about the red wigglers was the smell that they give off. I have read that some rays or fish do not like them because of this smell, and possibly a taste they excrete.

Their name, Eisenia fetida , even comes from the word odor but apparently this secretion only comes out when handled roughly.

bcarlos

Yeah, I've been using worms as a supplement for years. Rays love them and they're packed with protein. I've also used earthworms for my aros with great success, awesome mass builders.

mitchb

You can also gut load the worms, and feed them what might be good for the aro or your fish. Some people put carrot peelings or other things in there to bring out the red in certain fish.

kimrocks

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Just got the quote back - it would be $37 freight cost to send to Port Moody, B.C. for the 500 bulk Canadian Nightcrawler worms - all up $101 (incl GST).

We should look into a Group Buy if there is enough interest around.

chen88

Super Moderator
keep saying i'm going to the local bait shop but never have time and by the time I get home it's too late...I think I'm going to do the same order on ebay so I don't have to worry about saying I'm going!

chen88

Super Moderator
Just got my box from bulk Cdn Night crawlers....nice....but my pup won't go near it...think it's too big for her....fun feeding the aros though! :)