NEW build 540 gallon

RDFISHGUY

I think you will be ok with 1000watts. I run that on my system which gets 75 gallons of, cold, freshwater, daily, and system is 590 gallons. Never hurts to have back ups. I have 4 500watt heaters for back up.
I have 50 liters of K1 and 1 ultima, so your filtration should be perfect. Your biggest problem will be getting enough flow inside the tank but I'm sure you have a solution for that.

tomuhs

Wow so much work and dedication put into these videos. I'm going to need to watch all these in detail once I move. What motivated you to put up these videos? Keep up the good work!

hondas3000

Your tank is very nice for pup Joey, I might build one for my pup as well in the future but for breeding it is not high enough for it.

RDFISHGUY

Great job on the videos! Very informative.

Good score on the background.

I would've made the water level slightly higher but that's my opinion.

K1 media is awesome stuff. I use it to filter both my tanks too. Simple and effective filtration great job!

Joey

Your tank is very nice for pup Joey, I might build one for my pup as well in the future but for breeding it is not high enough for it.

Thank you. I have kept all my rays in 20" of water or less. Most times, 18" of water. I haven't found any reason to go higher. My rays have bred in it a few times, so i cant agree with you on height being an issue with breeding. My motoros bred a few times, and so did my boesemani.

Great job on the videos! Very informative.

Good score on the background.

I would've made the water level slightly higher but that's my opinion.

K1 media is awesome stuff. I use it to filter both my tanks too. Simple and effective filtration great job!

I may go higher if i build a lid for this tank. But for now, im pleased with it. The tank can withstand being filled, so its just a matter of building a lid.

K1 certainly is amazing stuff. I even use it in a trickle filter and a few canisters.

Joey

An update:

540gal_zps4a376a20.jpg

skynoch

Great Job with the tank and overall design. I couldn't agree with you more about a tank looking small after awhile, a week or two is very quick though. I had plans for at least a 5000 gallon but our water is 4x what it use to be 6 months ago so that fell out of the question unless I move and can put my own well in. So what are the plans for the next size? Wood? Acrylic? Cement? I know you must have something in your mind allready.

Joey

Great Job with the tank and overall design. I couldn't agree with you more about a tank looking small after awhile, a week or two is very quick though. I had plans for at least a 5000 gallon but our water is 4x what it use to be 6 months ago so that fell out of the question unless I move and can put my own well in. So what are the plans for the next size? Wood? Acrylic? Cement? I know you must have something in your mind allready.

Well... it looked small after a couple weeks of being filled... it sat empty for ever.

I initially wanted something massive... but running costs, etc were prohibitive.. So the next tank will probably only be around 1200-1800 gallons.

I would have to stick to using the room this tank is in now as well.

Based on that room, i could do something 10 feet long. So perhaps something along the lines of 10L x 6W x 4H.... or 10x4x4... i really want that height though...

I'd most likely build with poured cement due to height.

skynoch

I would agree with poured cement as i find a sand filter the only way to go with a big tank for first stage filtering it also means backwashing which means around 400+ galons to do so which means a big weight drop in your tank and alot of flexing in a wooden tank and makes it harder to seal. To do over I would do cement over wood for an easy maintenance tank but if I built a sump and didn't mind changing mechanical filtration then wood would be fine.