skynoch

newtankbegin1.jpg

newtankbegin2.jpg

newtankbegin3.jpg

newtankbegin4.jpg

newtankbegin5.jpg

newtank1.jpg

aaronc

swimming pool anyone? that is one huge tank!! btw how big is the giant gourami? looks small compared to the tank.

skynoch

swimming pool anyone? that is one huge tank!! btw how big is the giant gourami? looks small compared to the tank.

The gourami is around 24-26"

sweet! how did you water proof?

You'll probably reconize this. ;) It was first waterproofed by painting on Zavlar liquid rubber and then the tiles were put on with a 1/8" trowel and liquid rubber. Very easy stuff to work.

WOW!....damn....awesome built

Thanks, great amount of fun and learning doing it.

Holy...crap.

Man, I'm getting the big tank itch :)

Give it a go the plywood builds are actually fairly easy and very economical. The thing that worried me the most about the cost was heating the tank but it is insulated very well and after the initial warm up time the heater hasn't kicked in again.

carcrazy

That looks truly amazing! How are you handling the extra humidity in the house? Every once in a while I think about building something in the basement. Your tank looks great!

skynoch

That looks truly amazing! How are you handling the extra humidity in the house? Every once in a while I think about building something in the basement. Your tank looks great!

So far there isn't that much extra humidity from this tank (but there is alot from a pond I have that I will shut down.) but I will be installing a small air exchanger once the top is sealed and the bio-reactor will be vented outside or into the air exchanger to re-collect the heat. The bio-reactor right now gives off the most humidity from this tank.

Boydo

Excellent build Scott! I am looking forward to seeing the mechanical setup for this dream tank. What did you end up using as a heater?

Joey

You'll probably reconize this. ;) It was first waterproofed by painting on Zavlar liquid rubber and then the tiles were put on with a 1/8" trowel and liquid rubber. Very easy stuff to work.

I thought it looked familiar. Zavlar is amazing stuff. Lots of people using it on their plywood builds now.... I'll be using it again someday for sure.

jsodwi

That looks awesome. Did I miss the dimensions of this setup? I'd love to see the filtration too