300 gallon setup

exoticaquaria

i just ordered a new tank setup. looking at some good options for running it.

will be an acrylic setup from tenecor. 7x3x2 with dual internal overflows. dual 1.5 drain and 3/4 return.

i had a few questions regarding filtration and what pump to go with. i was thinking of 2 internal quiet one 9000. rated at 2000 gph. that way if 1 dies, the other one will keep filtering.

sump will be 5x2. approx 80 + gallons. so total for the entire system will be around 380 gals?

any advice on this!? my biggest tank is only a 210 so askin the pros whos built bigger tanks!

also have a jehmco 1000 watt heater and controller. is that enough for what im running?

what lighting would you suggest? i was looking at x2 3 foot lights. i have coralife ones with legs and wanted to do the same unless theres something better?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13733&pcatid=13733

wanted these ones. but 245 each.

i want to run a uv as well. hows this one? do you guys run us light 24//7? or certain hrs a week?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7999

thanks in advance!!!

hondas3000

for you tank you need like 18W or 36W uv light Mike. I have a 36W on my tank and its on 24/7 and the water is crystal clear but green algae still appear on the side of the tank. As for heater it is enough since you have it inside the house and no drip system. With your tank inside the pump itself is enough to heat up the tank and it might be too hot for summer as well. Plus the lighting you have and I am sure summer time it will be more then 30 degrees in your tank.

chen88

Super Moderator
to be honest I have my 50watt UV which the bulb has burned out almost a year ago and I have not replaced it. Its goes through one of my external pumps so it's a lot of work to get rid of it and the bulbs are $100 and hard to get...even-though I've not had it working for a year now I've had no issues whatsoever with algae and or any nasties. My tank is next to a 4x5 window which doesn't get direct sunlight due to the curtains....leaves me to wonder if it's worth the cost to get a UV. As for lighting...although I have 4 x 3'ft lighting, I rarely have them on other to show off the fish....I use a 3ft T5 ($25) which stays on 7/24 in my canopy which gives me just enough light that all the white spots of my rays glow and my aros slightly light up....so learning from buying these expensive lighting....didn't really need them...nice to have but not a must.

I also have 2 (1000 & 500watt) titanium heaters with controller which I too have not had to use as the heat generated from my pumps keeps the water temp quite high (ie..85-88 all year round)....I use the auto top off of cold water directly into my tank vs. sump to control the temperature to 83-84 constant with no heaters.

The sump and auto top up is the key component in my opinion over lighting and UV.

Joey

i just ordered a new tank setup. looking at some good options for running it.

will be an acrylic setup from tenecor. 7x3x2 with dual internal overflows. dual 1.5 drain and 3/4 return.

i had a few questions regarding filtration and what pump to go with. i was thinking of 2 internal quiet one 9000. rated at 2000 gph. that way if 1 dies, the other one will keep filtering.

sump will be 5x2. approx 80 + gallons. so total for the entire system will be around 380 gals?

any advice on this!? my biggest tank is only a 210 so askin the pros whos built bigger tanks!

also have a jehmco 1000 watt heater and controller. is that enough for what im running?

what lighting would you suggest? i was looking at x2 3 foot lights. i have coralife ones with legs and wanted to do the same unless theres something better?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13733&pcatid=13733

wanted these ones. but 245 each.

i want to run a uv as well. hows this one? do you guys run us light 24//7? or certain hrs a week?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7999

thanks in advance!!!
Solid plan so far.

Cut the heaters in half too. 2 500watt heaters. Same reason as two pumps.

Good choice on pumps as well. You'll like them.

Lighting... try LED. You'll never use anything else. I love mine. Go with the marine land double brights. You can get two 3 foot lights for about $300 at MOPS, or J&L.

For a UV, i really like the aqua ultraviolet UVs. Very easy to plumb, and lamp lasts at least 14 months. I think mine lasted for 16-18months.
Run the UV 24/7..... hook it up inline with one your pumps. Slow the flow for longer contact time if you like. Something around 25 watts would be perfect.

for you tank you need like 18W or 36W uv light Mike. I have a 36W on my tank and its on 24/7 and the water is crystal clear but green algae still appear on the side of the tank.

UV does nothing for algae that grows on surfaces. It only treats the water that the light comes in contact with. So only free floating algae is treated(green water)

deepRED

Good to hear that you finally got your tank ordered!

The problem with quiet one pumps are a) the are not that quiet, and b) they have issues sometimes with starting and stopping. This may be less of an issue in a sump application, but if you power goes, or you stop the pumps during water change, you want something that will start up again without problems.
For your size of tank, I would consider getting two eheim compact 5000's. They're only rated for 1320gph each, but for your size of setup it is more than enough. Supplement your flow with a couple of powerheads and you're laughing. 4000GPH going through your sump in a freshwater setup of that size is way too much and doesn't serve much purpose.
Many people use the laguna pond pumps for returns as well. They are very durable, and use the same motorblock as the ones used in the the famed red dragon skimmer pumps (used in bubble king and vertex cone skimmers).

Otherwise I would consider a couple of sedra pumps. They are relatively quiet and run very well.

The heater should be more than enough. I'm using a 300W and a 400W heater on my tank and it's more than enough to keep it steady. Remember that acrylic has better insulation properties, so once the temp is up there, it's easier to keep there.

In terms of lighting, for that width, leds might not be the best option. Since they are point source (basically mini spot lights), the spread is generally not going to be as good.
I am using two marinelands Reef brites on my 30" wide 8 footer, and there are still some shadowy areas in the tank front to back.
Also, the color of the leds tend to be on the whiter side. It's great for african tanks, but if you want a warmer look, you might have to supplement with t-5.
If you are ok with the shadows, the leds are obviously going to be more efficient, give you that great shimmer, have less heat and allow you to never change bulbs for 8-10 years.

Personally, I think HO t-5's are still the best due to the mixture of price, availability and ability to choose the exact color you want.

If you want to go cheap, you could light that tank with two sunblaze t-5 fixtures with added reflectors. They go for around $30(+20 for the relector) and they come with bulbs!

For a more finished look, you can use either the coralife or aquanova double HO t-5 fixtures. Either way are looking at under $300, all in.

I run those UV's on 3 out of the 4 tanks I have. They work well, though don't rely on it too much for eradicating parasites. I'm not running one on my big tank, because the water flow needed to effectively kill parasites is much too slow for the overall volume of the tank. You really need something in the 55 watt range for it to work well for that purpose.

You may consider the laguna ones they have for ponds, 55 watts, but they're like 4 feet long. I saw them at king eds on the weekend. Go check it out if you're in the area.

exoticaquaria

thanks for the help guys! i still have a little bit of time to gather the odds and ends. just hope tenecor delivers on time lol.

exoticaquaria

ok so this setup is slowly progressing! getting the parts ready while waiting for tenecor to deliver the tank! they are overdue on the delivery date but i hope its worth the wait lol.

so far this setup is as follow:
300 gal tenecor, 150 gal custom sump, custom wooden stand, i will be running 2 quiet one 9000s, koralia magnum 8, jehmco 1000w heater and controller, coralife uv 36 watt, i will be using my existing compact flo lights for now and test if its bright enough. sump and stand should be done in a week but got a few pics of from the builders of their current status to share with you guys. the doors on the stand are still getting finished while the sump needs some drip plates put into it. thats all for now! enjoy!

im also looking for an auto top off. never used one before but can anyone share with me what they are using? best brand and how to set it up!?

just saw this on j&l. hows this one?
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/JBJ-AUTOT/JBJ+Automatic+Top+Off+System.html

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

exoticaquaria

anyways, just wanted to update the stand and sump. i was very happy with the stand. it came in great. looking a lot sturdier than my 210 all glass wooden stand. the sump could have been a little shorter but what can we do, its done lol. theres only about 6 inch of room for plumbing but it will have to make do.

special thanks for rich for helping me to pick up and transport my sump! took the 2 of us to carry this beast of a sump under the stand. good thing rich brought suction cups which made it A LOT easier to move the sump. it was also pouring rain today but we managed to get it inside my house and inside my stand so i can work on the plumbing until my tank arrives.

more to come!

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

chen88

Super Moderator
have fun playing with the sump. it's good that you have the tank and sump before tank arrives as this will give you time to set it up. although my sump too is under the tank within the cabinet I wished i would have desiged it so that my sump is in the basement beneath the tank for future maintenance of the sump or if the sump for some reason breaks and I need to redo. Your sump has lots of compartment!....nice looking stand too!

exoticaquaria

have fun playing with the sump. it's good that you have the tank and sump before tank arrives as this will give you time to set it up. although my sump too is under the tank within the cabinet I wished i would have desiged it so that my sump is in the basement beneath the tank for future maintenance of the sump or if the sump for some reason breaks and I need to redo. Your sump has lots of compartment!....nice looking stand too!

thanks chen. now for the fun part to setup the plumbing! tonight ill be working on the egg crates to go into the sump. ive decided to go with 6 doors for the stand. 4 in the front and 2 side doors on each end of the stand so that if anything happens with the sump, i can slide it out from either side to work on it. i decided to go this route and pay more for a custom stand instead of buying one from tenecor because the 150 gal tenecor setup i have, the opening is tiny!!! doing maintenance to the sump is annoying because theres not much room for the opening and also very dark inside since its painted black. i wanted to custom a stand that is very open so more light can get in!

exoticaquaria

i had some time today to work on my sump. took a whole lot of time cutting away at the egg crate, japanese mat and pvc piping. i dont have the proper tools at home to speed up the process so i had to make do with the basic stuff i have at home! took forever for something so simple but the sump is getting there! i also, had to silicone extra bracing (pieces of glass) for where the egg crate sat because the size of the egg crate was too small and they would just fall in between the supports. aside from the glass supports i added 2 pieces of pvc, equal height to the bottom of the egg crate to support the middle. ill be using biohome media they basically a pretty heavy type of media. i didnt want to have the egg crate collapse on me! lol. lastly, im getting custom pieces of sliding glass for the top of the sump so it will keep the inside clean and to keep in heat during the winter. only thing left is to get a drip tray for the first compartment and 2 down pipe pvcs cut for the input chamber. i guess im off to home depot tomorrow!

heres what i was thinking for media so far.

Media Chambers:
Chamber 1 - Water input / Lots of Bioballs
Chamber 2 - Drip tray with filter floss then drips into thick sponge sitting on the first egg crate, biohome then japanese mat
Chamber 3 - Floating K1 Media, japanese mat
Chamber 4 - Ceramic ring, Crush Coral and japanese mat
Chamber 5 - 2 return pumps

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

exoticaquaria

after a long wait, my tank is finally here! after countless emails and phone calls, tenecor finally sent the tanks out. funny part is we didnt know the tanks were coming this early since we had no contact with them since we sent our custom broker info which was around 1.5 weeks ago. prior to this, the production of these tanks went through 3 production managers. everytime i called to follow up, someone else was handling the order. we were expecting end of oct arrival or even early nov. tenecor didnt provide a specific time of when the tanks were suppose to arrive. the shipping company called my friend yesterday (Oct 11th) and told him that the tanks were at the warehouse in surrey bc lol. that was a surpise and a relief on our end that they were finally delivered. they delivered all 3 tanks to my friends house early this morning. although it was a pain dealing with tenecor, im sure the quality of their tanks was worth the wait.

just for anyone else whos planning to do an order from tenecor in the near future, here is the total amount of time we had to wait until delivery:

payment (July 11, 2011). tank arrival (Oct 12, 2011). roughly around 13.5 weeks. much more than the 6-8 weeks estimated time from tenecor.

heres a picture of the tanks after delivery. we ordered 3 total. my tank was 7x3x2 and the other 2 were 6x3x2 and a 5x2x2.

tenecor1.jpg

exoticaquaria

Thanks Tim!

So my friend unwrapped the tanks yesterday and found a few problems with the order.

Tank 1 - Missing 2 bulkheads

Tank 2 - Missing feeding hole cover

Tank 3 - Was suppose to have rounded corners but came in with regular corners

Seems like they did a rush job on these tanks. Inside of the tank also seemed rather dirty. For those that ordered a tenecor tank in the past, was the inside of the tank dirty when they first arrived? I sure hope they water tested these tanks for leaks before shipping them out to us. Well im keeping my fingers crossed that they did a good job on the seal. Only time will tell once i set up the tank.

We called tenecor regarding the missing pieces and they are to be shipped via UPS within the next week. Regarding tank 3, we are still waiting for a reply. To me, getting the missing parts shipped in a few days is not a big deal but i sure hope they compensate for tank 3. You would think that a big company that has been in operation for a long time would pay attention to detail of their own tank sketches... I think I would think twice to order with them again in the future.

exoticaquaria

i finally picked up the tank from simons place. it wasnt too heavy but we did have 4 people. im sure 2 would have been ok but the van was on the high side so it was just easier to load the tank with 2 more helping hands! we also noticed that tenecor cheaped out by not using actual blue acrylic for the back of my tank. they used a blue film to put over clear acrylic instead. i sure hope the blue sticker wont peel and leave water marks... i guess ill know once i fill up the tank.

the first picture is at simons place before we loaded the tank into the van and the second pic when we put it up on my stand.

lastly, thanks to rich, wilson and simon for the help!

now to clean the inside of the new tank because it came in so dusty!!!

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

exoticaquaria

Looking good Mike. Always exciting to unwrap a new Tenecor tank. :)

Its exciting to unwrap the tank, yes. But what I found shortly after is quite disappointing. I checked for damages and came up with this... It is safe to conclude that it is not physical damage from the shippers. If it was a drop or if the tank hit anything, the entire edge would be chipped but instead, just the 3x2 acrylic side piece. It may be that the acrylic was not cut properly? Anyways, after all the waiting, now I have to take it up with Tenecor and see what the warranty procedure would be. Its disappointing to have waited for so long to see this chip on the bottom back corner of the tank. Especially in the joint... If this tank was to leak, ALL the water would be on the floor. The chip goes more than half way in the 1/2 inch acrylic...

DSC_1293.jpg

DSC_1296.jpg

DSC_1297.jpg

DSC_1298.jpg