i have news too

i just found out an hour ago,
there are 4 pups born in my 900 gallons tank
i dont know their sex yet, i havent have time to net them out.
i want to try to see if they are able to eat mini pellets first.
i hope they can be safe in my big tank with all other fishes
the parents are the leo which i had them for 3 years.
i didnt think she was pregnant because her belly seems full since august, which mean it took her almost 5 months to gave birth. maybe she was nervous to gave birth with all other 18 fishes in the tank

here is the list of tankmate
1 28" red aro
1 10" indo tiger
2 jumbo size red mammon
1 jumbo size flowerhorn
1 22" lince catfish
1 20" filamentosum
1 10" tigtrinus
1 red severum
5 12"-18" kelberi peacock bass

all of them are feed pellets in past 12 months

my concerns now is how to net them out with minimum effect?
or can i raise them there?
parents.JPG

pup.jpg

tankmates.JPG

I can't imagin what would happen if I had place my 24" redtail catfish inside? Would I see those pups.

And at least now I can say that by feeding only pellets is enough nutrients to raise stingray and enough for them to breed.
All the 4 pups look fat.

exoticaquaria

well done howard!

what size are the leo parents?

setup a small tank for them. dont keep them in the 900. they will have a hard time to compete for food and its just easier to monitor their condition in a smaller tank.

use a net but dont expose them to air. net them in a small container inside of your tank then move them to a smaller tank with water from your 900, media as well. they wont eat for the first 2-3 days. you can start with some frozen bloodworms or chopped up night crawlers. my pups started eating carnivore pellets after only a week! since parents have been eating pellets only, the pups will take to that every fast. trick is to get them eating first. good luck and congrats!!!

chen88

Super Moderator
WOW!...amazing Howard!...good for you...take care of those pups being your first!. Like Mike mentioned above I'd set up another tank for them or put them in a plastic basket of sort and keep them within current tanks water .....

I can't wait until my BD's start popping little pups like yours!

skynoch

Congrats, and for sure move them or put them in a floating bin in the same tank if you don't have another tank available.

exoticaquaria

wow they are quite big!

that means i have a long way to go with my black rays lol. probably another 2 years to go lol.

tman

Super Moderator
Congrats! Just net them out and float them in a bin in the same tank like Scott said and they will be good. Did that with my 3 batches of pups and they all started feeding on blood worms in the first week.

I just scooped them out and put them in clear bottom container, they are too small to sex them, they all seems female on day one.
I am getting the tank rdy, those pups is between 4-5".

So far everyone has suggest bloodworms, chipped earthworm to begin with, I wonder has anyone try mini sinking pellets to start with?

exoticaquaria

I just scooped them out and put them in clear bottom container, they are too small to sex them, they all seems female on day one.
I am getting the tank rdy, those pups is between 4-5".

So far everyone has suggest bloodworms, chipped earthworm to begin with, I wonder has anyone try mini sinking pellets to start with?

i was advised by my supplier that pellets may be a little hard to chew and digest for pups. thats why feed softer foods until they go through the eating/taking a poo cycle. once their system is working properly, you can go with pellets.

are you keeping any of them howard!?

I have to sell the other three 7" Leo that I received from H2O.
They are all male, any suggest price for local sale?

I will sell those pups after they grow to 6"

Cirrus

Arowana blogger
Wonderful news Howard, you deserve it! :)
Nice way to start the New Year.

I am pretty sure the H2O fish he is talking about were part of the setlement he ended up with.

exoticaquaria

Wonderful news Howard, you deserve it! :)
Nice way to start the New Year.

I am pretty sure the H2O fish he is talking about were part of the setlement he ended up with.

ahhhh i guess... but thats a terrible way to pay back. with regular leos that arent worth much money in todays market. if it was some nice bds, then thats a dif story. i hope he took care of you in the end howard.