kinda worried about rays loss of appetite

cheon

thx for the response
i have had 1 water issue once since i have had them ammonia hit .5 ppm i did 15-20% wc everyday till the spike disappeared. and for the tank mates i added a tire track eel on febuary 22.

cheon

no the eel looks fine and i did qt him in my 75 close to 3 weeks before puting him in the bigger tank.

cheon

and another thing today shes only breathing outta one lung sometimes shell use 2 but when she is still she uses 1 lung. i added another big sized air pump 2day. if it is gill fluke wouldnt all of them have it. rest are normal active and breather fine.

cheon

not really i have fish in all my tanks my stupidity i turned my 75 gl into a chiclid tank that was suppose to be a qt tank and have it pretty stocked at the moment with lil fish. lesson learned :s

Joey

Sounds like she is deteriorating fast. Are you still, or were you treating with Praziquantel?

Whats your temp at now?

cheon

i have its at 27 and i have not added anything other the prime and 5 table sppond of salt per wc. just been doin wc every second day. i should move fish around then cuz it can cross contaminate my othe ? can this product be used on aros loaches ?

Joey

That product is fine on all your fish....

At the level of salt your dosing, its not doing a thing. i wouldnt bother.

skynoch

For sure it is gill flukes. Do not move anything out of the tank and treat the whole tank. Praziquental is a very safe med to use. I reccomend prazipro as it is the easiest to use, if you can only get a hold of a powder form then you can mix with water and a high percent vodka to dilute the powder. To use this start with a large water change tonight and then add the prazi after for your full tank volume (I usually do 1.5 x the initial dose size). Do 30% waterchanges everyday re-adding enough prazi to make up for the water changed out. Do this for 7 days then stop adding prazi for the next 4 days still doing the water changes. After 4 days restart the treatment again for another 7 days doing exactly what you did for the first seven.

cheon

I added prazi pro last night. Did a vacuum and a 40%wc added 6 t spoons of prazi shut off all the light covered the tank. Everyone Is Eatting still did a light feeding today. Gonna do as directed by synoch tonight wc and re add the meds I took out. She's been breathing with both lungs today. Hopefully this will disappear soon I will stop treatment after 5 days and wait a week and re med to make sure it's gone. Thx to everyone that has been helping and thx to Bret for the call eased my worries.

skynoch

You will find after a couple days your rays will have almost seem to recover but do finish the full treatment as prazi won't kill the eggs and it will start all over again. The reason I believe they say seven on is to make sure it is enough to cover different life cycles with different temps and the 4 days off is a break for the fish and where the eggs will hatch but not long enough for them to lay new eggs and then another 7 days to make sure you kill them. This was the time schedule was stated by a marine biologist who specializes in sharks and rays.
There are alot of different treatment shedules on the net for using prazi with rays some are dose and leave 7 days others are a weird on/off schedule and others are a straight 21 day treatment. I've used the above treatment and had success with it. If you want you can get away with only doing waterchanges every second day but I feel that once your rays are exposed they will get back to full meals and with the extra breathing there will be extra ammonia build up and the extra waterchanges will only help.
As you can tell with rays I'm a big waterchange junkie,lol. Good luck with the treatment.

Mark Huveneers

Hey,

hope the prazi treatment is working. It was the right thing to do.
It is important to keep rays and other fish in a stable environment, only add new fish after weeks of quarantaine and treatment. This is were it often goes wrong.... too much enthousiasm too many fish too fast etc.. etc..

If there is chlorine in the water use a showerhead to to waterchanges, most of the chlorine will evaporate while spraying the fresh water into the tank.

Greetings Mark

cheon

thx for all the support. a lil update its been a week and the ray has complete recovered feeding is back to normal and her color is much darker. but i also noticed she lost her barb and grew a new 1 i recovered the old one. could this have led to the symtoms of gill flukes?
lloss of appetite? breathing heavy?breathing outta 1 lung? will be hitting the tank witha nother treatment in one week to make sure all the gill flukes is gone if there was even some in the first place.

chen88

Super Moderator
one thing to also look at .... is she shedding one of her stingers? I know when mine shreds their they breath heavy for a couple of days and don't eat much...after they they go crazy for food again.

I think it she might have been shedding her stinger like I mentioned...I notice when one of my rays stop eating and breathing heavy I immediately look at their stingers. Often you see some minor bleeding on the sting part where they shred....and within 2-3 days the stinger falls off and all seems better..

skynoch

Never had a ray stress over a stinger that has been shed. If the stinger had been almost torn out by stinging something then maybe some stress. Your problem was 100% gill flukes. Only wait 4 days before beginning the second round of treatment. Glad to hear everything is getting better.