NEW build 540 gallon

Joey

Been working on this tank for a while...

Doing a video series on it from start to finish...

The tank is 6x6x2 glass sides/braces.... plywood bottom.

Ready for filtration at this point. Here is a pic as to where im at with it so far.

Attachments

• 9.jpeg
    9.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 996

chen88

Super Moderator
as Awesome as always Joey!...you should move to Ontario and build something like that for me! lol

Joey

This tank was made for under $800 by the way.... including the entire tank/stand/background.

I saved a bunch of money on the glass. I used 2 old tanks and took them apart to build this one tank.

Last edited:

jsodwi

Dude you are really starting to inspire me to build something on my own. That is the perfect tank to keeps some nice rays. Can't wait to see the video on the build

Joey

Very nice aquarium Joey! The footprint is awesome.

Thanks pal. I love the dimensions, but the tank already looks small... sounded much bigger in my head when i was planning it out. lol... Guess i'll have to make up for size with the filtration.

as Awesome as always Joey!...you should move to Ontario and build something like that for me! lol

Thanks Chen! Wont see me back in Ontario.. born and raised there. That was enough for me! lol

Very nice, interesting dimensions

Indeed. Not exactly my dream tank, but it will due for now.

awsome tank joey

Thanks BM

Dude you are really starting to inspire me to build something on my own. That is the perfect tank to keeps some nice rays. Can't wait to see the video on the build

DO IT! Take the dive and just build something you have wanted for a while.

Rays are exactly what this tank is getting. Going with an open top though(if my air exchange and dehumidifier can keep up) so no aros in this tank. Unless i cover it.

Joey

awesome setup!!! cant wait to see the leos in there.

be careful with the open top as rays can easily go over the glass!

Thanks Mike! Your rays are gonna love it!

This tank has a 3" lip all the way around... which will help with them being able to get out easily.

Im also only going to run this tank at around 16-18" of water height, so they will have a 6-8" gap between the top of the water and the rim of the tank... then the lip is there. (tank is 24" tall)

I am going to see if the rooms air exchanger and dehumidifier can keep up with an open top... if not, i'll cover. ... Also worried about heat loss with the open top, so we'll see what happens. Im going to heat the room, and run around 1500-2100 watts of heaters in the sump. I hope my plans here work...

tomuhs

Wow big fan of ur DIY videos. Can't wait to see this one.

How big of a sump will you be going for?

Joey

Wow big fan of ur DIY videos. Can't wait to see this one.

How big of a sump will you be going for?

Thanks!

Im going with a fluidized bed on this one. Using K1.

Im using 55gallon plastic barrels which will be in the room next to it(utility room)

To start out, im using just 2. So 110 gallons total to start. The first barrel will hold 100 liters of K1. This barrel then overflows into the second barrel, which will hold the heaters and external pump will get attached to it.

At any point, i can add in another 55 gallon barrel that i have on standby with another 100 liters of K1. I would just add it to the beginning, and would take only a few minutes to install.

Very simple design, very effective, very cheap. Just how i like it.

slednex11

looks super amazing and clean build i love it!!!! i don't think you will need that much wattage to heat it, i was running a 8x5x2 pool (open top) for all my catfish in my utility room which was always on the cool side plus i left the window open a crack for humidity issue, the pool liner was only sitting on 1" styro which was on top of the bare concrete and i only had 1200watts total and was keeping the water at 81degrees, just my 2cents friend

Joey

Looks great! You deserve the title King of DIY! :)

Thanks Pal!

looks super amazing and clean build i love it!!!! i don't think you will need that much wattage to heat it, i was running a 8x5x2 pool (open top) for all my catfish in my utility room which was always on the cool side plus i left the window open a crack for humidity issue, the pool liner was only sitting on 1" styro which was on top of the bare concrete and i only had 1200watts total and was keeping the water at 81degrees, just my 2cents friend

Well, im going to start off with 1500 watts and have another 1200 watts on standby if needed. But it's good to know you had no problems with a tank that size. Hopefully, i have the same fortune.

Wow. Nice. I like the Japanese set look.

Thanks Brian. Glad you like it.