Royal Blue Discus

chen88

Super Moderator
what do you guys think about mixing large WC Royal Blue discus with rays and aro? Was thinking about adding a school of the Royal blue's (approx. 8-10) in with my Rays, bass and Red Aro. ?? Oliver got some very nice WC Royal Blues.....just want to see what you guys think!

Joey

Ive done that same combo minus the bass. It works very well. The discus enjoy picking at the same food the rays and aro eat so thats a big bonus when it comes to trying to feed the discus.. Depending on the discus size they come in at, it would make for a nice display. They rays will leave them alone, unless there is a sick one that doesnt move out of the way of a curious ray. The bass may be far to aggressive feeders for the discus to completly setle in the tank. Aro/rays/discus work very well(couldnt ask for a better combo really), im just not sure on the bass.

arl

Aro and Discus is NOT a good combination. You have a way better chance of success with a two aro com. than an aro-discus com (along with what ever tankmates you want with it). Doesn't matter what other tank mates you put with an aro-discus, asian aro and discus is just an almost impossible combination. But then again you might be the very, very lucky one to have success in it. If you're tanlking about silver aros and discus, I'll give it a higher percentage of success. For asian aros.doesn't matter if you start it with a 4" aro and big discus, once the aro hits 12" or so he'll start stressing the discus.

m_class2g

Sponsor
i wouldnt personally do it. discus are pretty fragile fish and stresses easy. my 2 feet rtg beats everything in the tank. even my big widebar and even bites my rays tail. aros are moody fish. i would only keep them with bigger fish that can take a beating.

hondas3000

I have done it before and it is fine, the only problem is that discuss turn dark due to stress I think. They still eat and swim fine, just not as colorful as a discuss tank itself and it needs a bright tank with plant which we can not provide that in aro tank.

chen88

Super Moderator
Still waiting for my Henlei's to arrive first but they both may arrive just before Christmas. They're shutting down collection of rays as mentioned by end of the year....not sure if I will get the BD's as yet...going to decide this morning and then place order with Oliver.

Might end up selling a pair of my Leo's to make room for the BD's....we'll see.

arl

I tried this combination twice and both failed....well not right away but eventually it will fail. My first aro discus com is 1 - 5" xb with 8 adult discus. This com worked fine for I think 5 months then I started seeing scratches on the discus. During the day when your watching the aro, he's so behave like nothing bad is going on but at night that's when crazy things happen. Put lots of drift wood and hiding places for the discus so that they'll have a secure spot but they will still be stressed and not eat. Then I thought that 8 aros might disperse the attention and aggresion of the aro towards the discus since they got themselves to compete and fight with. Got 7- 4" rtg's and sme story but this one lasted a little longer since the aros attention is the firghting between them but after about 10 months or so they were attacking the discus and stressing them out. I have about 45 adult discus (thinking their number will give them a feeling of security and aros will get use to them easily) with the 7 aros at that time and they died one by one until I have to take the discus out.

Last edited:

chen88

Super Moderator
hrm...ok...I've decided Not to try that combo since I would be investing in WC XXL Royal blue's that cost quite a bit for Discus...so decided to get 3 BD's (1m/2f)s....just placed order and hope to get before christmas